• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pros and Their Manufacturers

Question on the Nikko thing (may have already been adressed but don't feel like wading through)

Is there any specific reasoning why we assume he has MVP, Gateway and Legacy as sponsors? I'm aware of all the correlations, and they fit, but is there any "hard" evidence aside from him throwing some gyro in two videos and that video of him throwing Legacy from awhile back?

I do hope it's true, though. I will never be a pro, but this could open up some big possibilites for those that are. I don't see Innova, Discrafr or Trilogy biting on something like this (mostly because their lines and affiliates' lines are so vast) but this could be geat for the "little guys" out there.

Uh.. yeah. He called me and told me so. That's good enough for me.

Rumor mill at today's Ice Bowl here in NC surrounded Paige Pierce and that fact that she may not be with Prodigy any longer. First I've heard that one and would be hard to believe.

Also heard that the original team members had bagged Prodigy discs the year before they all signed so they could get used to them. Stamped their old sponsors on Prodigy test run plastic.

Gotta love a good story...

Rumor mill at today's Ice Bowl here in NC surrounded Paige Pierce and that fact that she may not be with Prodigy any longer. First I've heard that one and would be hard to believe.

Also heard that the original team members had bagged Prodigy discs the year before they all signed so they could get used to them. Stamped their old sponsors on Prodigy test run plastic.

Sounds like the rumor mill in NC reads this thread pretty regularly. Ha!

Thought I will admit. This is the first I have heard of Prodigy stamps on other manufacturers prior to the prodigy announcement. Fits right in with every other conspiracy theory.

Pretty sure you've got that backwards. The players had prodigy stamps put on other manufacturers discs while Prodigy was still developing its lineup.

Pretty sure you've got that backwards. The players had prodigy stamps put on other manufacturers discs while Prodigy was still developing its lineup.

No... it think it's both! We all know for a fact they stamped other discs while the lineup was thin at Prodigy, but this is a claim by someone with good inside knowlege about pre-production stamping of prototypes so they wouldn't get in trouble with the current sponsors.

I know about Nikko's love for Gateway putters, on again/off again with Wizards and the Magic, but does any one on here know what discs from MVP and Legacy he has taken a liking to? Is it MVP mids and Legacy drivers or a mixed bag, pun intended?

Well, Prodigy at least has fulfilled its' mission to 'change the game'.... it's turned ordinary disc golfers into trolls, fanboys, haters, conspiracy theorists, flaming gossips, and pot stirring instigators. Prodigy- makers of the polarized disc.

No... it think it's both! We all know for a fact they stamped other discs while the lineup was thin at Prodigy, but this is a claim by someone with good inside knowlege about pre-production stamping of prototypes so they wouldn't get in trouble with the current sponsors.

That makes absolutely no sense though. What would they have to gain by stamping Innova/Discraft/etc logos on Prodigy prototypes? The first PDGA approval for Prodigy discs came on January 1, 2013. That also happens to be the date we all assume their old contracts expired and their new ones with Prodigy began because that's when they started announcing the switch (not that it was a well kept secret at that point). If they were using Prodigy discs in competition prior to that date, not only were they breaking any contracts with their old companies but they were also violating PDGA rules by using unapproved discs. I doubt very much that happened.

And if all they were doing was practicing or testing the prototypes, I doubt they needed to go to the trouble of hiding the disc's identity with a fake stamp. A blank disc would be just as simple to practice with and prevent any nosy onlookers from identifying it. Even if word got back to their old sponsor that they were practicing with a disc from another company, why would they care if their intent was to leave at the end of the year anyway?

Just a stupid story all around.

I know about Nikko's love for Gateway putters, on again/off again with Wizards and the Magic, but does any one on here know what discs from MVP and Legacy he has taken a liking to? Is it MVP mids and Legacy drivers or a mixed bag, pun intended?

Well in the PHP video he was throwing a Motion a couple times. Couldn't identify any other MVP discs, but the Motion is an awesome disc so it doesn't surprise me.

He had that video awhile back throwing the Cannon and Rampage, also good discs, so maybe those? I bet he would love the Outlaw as well.

I am most intrigued by Nikko's situation. Mainly because if it is a mixed bag that means that he sampled each company and feels they bring something special to the table. So the only reason they are in the bag is because from his standpoint they give him the best chance to win. Probably over thinking this but with the other pros switching it sounds like more of a money thing. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with wanting to make as much money as possible from a sport that doesn't have the highest income potential.

I am most intrigued by Nikko's situation. Mainly because if it is a mixed bag that means that he sampled each company and feels they bring something special to the table. So the only reason they are in the bag is because from his standpoint they give him the best chance to win. Probably over thinking this but with the other pros switching it sounds like more of a money thing. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with wanting to make as much money as possible from a sport that doesn't have the highest income potential.

But that something special may just be more $. Keeping in mind we have NO idea what his contracts look like - but just because he has a mixed bag and is using X disc, doesn't mean it is the best disc he can find for the slot. For example, he may have to bag X discs from a particular company that shapes his choices in what he bags.

But that something special may just be more $. Keeping in mind we have NO idea what his contracts look like - but just because he has a mixed bag and is using X disc, doesn't mean it is the best disc he can find for the slot. For example, he may have to bag X discs from a particular company that shapes his choices in what he bags.

That's why I like it so much. So many variables with multiple sponsors. Which goes against what historically has been the norm in the sport for top tier pros. Which is the one disc sponsor model. You are correct though whose to say that he isn't coming out further ahead from a financial standpoint. With it split three ways its a lot easier for newer companies to stomach the financial investment while still getting the word of mouth advertising that comes from having your product in the bag of a touring pro.

That's why I like it so much. So many variables with multiple sponsors. Which goes against what historically has been the norm in the sport for top tier pros. Which is the one disc sponsor model. You are correct though whose to say that he isn't coming out further ahead from a financial standpoint. With it split three ways its a lot easier for newer companies to stomach the financial investment while still getting the word of mouth advertising that comes from having your product in the bag of a touring pro.

Agreed. He's going to break the interwebz here the first time he wins/loses a tourney on the last hole with a great/horrible shot from an MVP disc. Definately will be needing some :popcorn:

Well in the PHP video he was throwing a Motion a couple times. Couldn't identify any other MVP discs, but the Motion is an awesome disc so it doesn't surprise me.

He had that video awhile back throwing the Cannon and Rampage, also good discs, so maybe those? I bet he would love the Outlaw as well.

IMO, it would be really cool to see someone have different sponsors for each disc type, for instance: Player: Nikko Locastro
Putter sponsor: Gateway (Wizards & Magics)
Midranges: Legacy (Gauge)
Drivers: MVP (Motion)

It kind of reminds me of a major sport like baseball: Chipper Rodriguez (made up name), sponsors: gloves (Mizuno), bats (Louisville Slugger), balls (Rawlings). Even though Louisville Slugger also makes gloves and Rawlings makes gloves, those do not have to be the only sponsors a player can have.

Wow, Prodigy's business model. Sketch.

Way to much thought into this Nikko thing guys lol.

Tentative Nikko bag:

Putters - Wizards (putting and throwing), Ion (throwing)
Mids - Ghosts, Vector, beat KC Ghost (short rollers)
Fairways - Rivals, Motion
Distance - Outlaw (most drives), Cannon (big distance), Mongoose (long rollers)

Those would make the most sense to me, with a few specialty discs mixed in.

Wow, Prodigy's business model. Sketch.

Way to much thought into this Nikko thing guys lol.

I haven't had much time to get out and play lately because of work. So all I have time for is reading the forums and over thinking things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of life. Wow that sounds really sad. :)