• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

Has anyone ever attended this event? I've recently started playing only to find this is played 40 minutes from where I live! My wife and I played the Lakefront course over the weekend just to get a feel for the course. FYI...it is horribly marked (no directions, no signage to speak of, hole #s and basket #s don't match, etc) for being the site of USDG Championship.

Anyway, I do want to attend the event to see good players play and I imagine the Gold Course setup will be fun to see and watch.

Is it hard to follow groups? Any idea of actual attendance? I watched last year's final on YouTube and while there were a lot of people there it seems like you could easily follow the final group.

If anyone has attended in the past and has any tips for attending, I'd appreciate it.

i went for the first time last year, for the final day only. i was able to stay in a spot or two (on the first tee, and then under the big tent by hole # 6) to see a good number of players throw (i saw paige pierce, dave dunipace, avery jenkins, holly finley, paul ulibarri...). i followed nate doss' group for a few holes (if i remember right, steve rico was in that group), and then followed a group with simon lizotte, the champ ken climo, and eric mccabe -- gotta see simon throw hole 5, right?) for a bit. then, i looped back and met up with the lead group on hole 5 and followed them from there.

so, through a combination of staying in one spot and following groups, you can see a lot, both of the course and of players you might want to see throw. i loved the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat. the final group was definitely crowded, so not the best way to get the close-up view of how the pros play the course. but the final group was epic -- hole 14, where mccray took off running, and patrick brown hitting that long put? and those long put-ins mccray kept hitting, like on 7? come ON!

a couple things that surprised me (ABSOLUTELY not a knock -- i think there are good reasons for these things, and i could also have just missed something): 1) i couldn't find food at the tournament -- i left the course for a while to go get lunch; 2) i only saw innova selling discs. i live in a place where stores only sell innova, so i was looking forward to fondled some plastic by other manufacturers, and maybe chatting with some of the reps. this definitely appeared to be primarily innova's shindig throughout, though, so it made sense once i got there.

hope that helps!

i went for the first time last year, for the final day only. i was able to stay in a spot or two (on the first tee, and then under the big tent by hole # 6) to see a good number of players throw (i saw paige pierce, dave dunipace, avery jenkins, holly finley, paul ulibarri...). i followed nate doss' group for a few holes (if i remember right, steve rico was in that group), and then followed a group with simon lizotte, the champ ken climo, and eric mccabe -- gotta see simon throw hole 5, right?) for a bit. then, i looped back and met up with the lead group on hole 5 and followed them from there.

so, through a combination of staying in one spot and following groups, you can see a lot, both of the course and of players you might want to see throw. i loved the experience and would do it again in a heartbeat. the final group was definitely crowded, so not the best way to get the close-up view of how the pros play the course. but the final group was epic -- hole 14, where mccray took off running, and patrick brown hitting that long put? and those long put-ins mccray kept hitting, like on 7? come ON!

a couple things that surprised me (ABSOLUTELY not a knock -- i think there are good reasons for these things, and i could also have just missed something): 1) i couldn't find food at the tournament -- i left the course for a while to go get lunch; 2) i only saw innova selling discs. i live in a place where stores only sell innova, so i was looking forward to fondled some plastic by other manufacturers, and maybe chatting with some of the reps. this definitely appeared to be primarily innova's shindig throughout, though, so it made sense once i got there.

hope that helps!

They sell food right outside of the Pro Shop every day (limited to the lunch hours?). There is a small menu of grilled items/drinks. And you're right with your thoughts to why there are not other brands for sale. Although, both Vibram and Legacy have supported the event so you will sometimes see a disc or two from them in the Pro Shop.

I would recomend to anyone going to spectate for more than one day to buy the $25 VIP pass! This gets you a big bonus of free food & drinks at the hospitality area. Mingle, eat and just relax with the players... Along with better parking if you bring a cooler and snacks.

I would recomend to anyone going to spectate for more than one day to buy the $25 VIP pass! This gets you a big bonus of free food & drinks at the hospitality area. Mingle, eat and just relax with the players... Along with better parking if you bring a cooler and snacks.

The USDGC Player Hospitality area is limited to USDGC registered players and event staff and is NOT included in the VIP passes. Sometimes the hospitality staff allows caddies, friends or family members to stop by and visit. FYI - Cyoda44 has been a player in the Performance Flight the past two years, so he was allowed in the area.

Food and drinks are available to purchase for all VIP's, spectators, friends, family and guests at the main clubhouse next to the USDGC Proshop.

I don't think they've had any sort of decent FlyMart at USDGC for the last two or three years.

Definitely take some snacks or crackers with if you plan on staying all day.

Been there every year since 2008 and things always change. The holes, the pars, the ropes, the people/tents selling, everything.
Who knows? We might show up this year with Chick-Fil-A or a disc vendor having a tent on the grounds. Who knows?

By the way, the draft Caddy Book is up on the USDGC.com site.

A few things have changed:
Hazrd areas on Hole 1, a mando on Hole 5...

Area around Hole 9's landing area is radically different.
Parts of the grass right of the sidewalk on Hole 14 are now Hazard.
There's a few more, but I think those are the ones that strike me as biggies.

Hole 17 there is now a drop zone after 5 missed attempts. It wasnt always like that right?

I wonder what is the reason for the mando on 5?

Force players over the water to get to the green. The preferred upshot for years has been a hyzer over those trees, that shot is not legal any more. It also prevents anyone from playing around the trees completely, taking the lake out of play and playing for par. I don't know how I feel about it, I feel like having the option to play that hole conservatively for par is a good thing

I wonder what is the reason for the mando on 5?
That's an odd one. The big arms like to throw massive hyzers over the top of those trees. Maybe they want the players to show a little more touch on their upshots. It'll be difficult to tell exactly where the mando is above the top of the trees.

Hole 17 there is now a drop zone after 5 missed attempts. It wasnt always like that right?
Maybe a concession to the performance flight. They've had problems at the Charleston Classic (hole 19 at Hampton) with people emptying their entire bags trying to land on the island. I think there was a guy who scored a 24 on that hole. I love island holes, I love scoring poorly on them, but if you're gonna have amateurs playing the hole, you need to cut them some slack.

(But if you're cutting the Ams slack on hole 17, you're taking it away with the forced water carry on 5. The noodle arms sometimes prefer to play the long way around the trees and just take an 8 on that hole)

Hole 12 only rethrow/dz if ob on right?
Does that mean ob left = normal ob?

That seems to be how it's written, but OB is continuous around the basket. There's no line that differentiates left OB from right OB. Or maybe it means the grass OB on the right is re-throw or drop zone, while the asphalt OB right or all OB left/long is played as last spot in bounds.

Hole 12 only rethrow/dz if ob on right?
Does that mean ob left = normal ob?

Per #3 of the "Official Ground Rules of the USDGC" on page 20 of the document:
"OB" is used to represent the traditional out-of-bounds rules. Except as noted in the hole 9, 10, 12, and 17 specific rules, discs landing OB may be played either from where the disc was deemed last in bounds, or from the original lie, with a one-throw penalty. The stakes that support the rope/string are part of OB. Red ropes, string, and the stakes that support them are not casual obstacles.

All those holes with "birdie" as the most frequent score are making my eyes roll, head shake, sparks come out of my ears, smoke come from my hair and ... uh, I mean, activating my entirely normal (totally human!) processing center for selecting appropriate emotional reactions to logical inconsistencies.

That's an odd one.

(But if you're cutting the Ams slack on hole 17, you're taking it away with the forced water carry on 5. The noodle arms sometimes prefer to play the long way around the trees and just take an 8 on that hole)

Being one of the lowest rated players to have played the performance flight, I went the safe, long way around on 5. Hole 17, I laid up and had no problem hitting the green from there. That's why those changes seem puzzling to me.