• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Bag: WIP Feedback/Suggestions Welcome

Teamkiller

Par Member
Sorry in advance for the massive post below. :|

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Since Last August so... 8 Months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Left-handed
Throwing Style: LHBH, very little OH.
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Lucid Judge: 200/240'; Buzzz: 250/280'; Escape/Stag: 310/330'
Longest Drive Fieldwork: Mamba: 380' on a hyzer flip in a tailwind.
Longest Drive on the course: Scorpius: 390' on a flex shot, unfortunately it was across the street from the goal and resting on the roof of a house when it landed…

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None
Other sport proficiencies?: None
Additional Information: Loving the game, planning to participate in my first tourney this summer hoping not to be the worst player that shows up...
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Still figuring out how to structure my bag as in whether to get more specific use cases for discs and have a wide array of molds/discs/weights, or simplify the molds but expand plastics/weights. Also on the fence about attempting to "season" or "cycle" discs although I'm not sure with the plastics I buy that there is a meaningful difference in 6 months of use on Champ/Z/GL/Fuzion ETC.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Gaps in my bag, anything you think might be helpful.
Immediate and long-term goals: Consistently (85%+) make 25-35' putts, Consistently park sub 300' holes, Try out thumbers/tomahawks, Develop roller throw form and choose disc for it, Long term is to develop the ability to throw 400' when needed.

Currently what's in my Bag:

Drivers:
175 Quantum Scorpius SP13 (new) – probably shouldn't use it but it works great for heavy headwinds when thrown flat or for massive (for me) flex shots where I will throw a hard anny to come around something and can be assured the disc will still fade hard.
175 ESP Surge SP11 (used but stable) – Stable, full power drives. Headwind.
171 Biofuzion Renegade, (new) – Long Hyzerflips/ S-Curves when thrown flat
170 GL Saint Pro SP9 (new) – comparing to culverin for O/S Control Driver Duties
170 Opto Culverin SP9 (new) – comparing to Saint Pro for O/S Control Driver Duties
174 GL Biofuzion Escape SP9 (new) – I use this for most holes under 350' as long as a headwind isn't present – Main Driver
171 Tournament Stag SP8 (new) – I use this where I would normally use the Escape but there is a headwind present
172 Biofuzion Witness SP8 (new) – I use this disc when I want an anhyzer to stay in the turn.
170 GL River SP7 (slightly beat) – My do anything control disc, upshots over 150', tunnel shot hyzerflips.
171 Opto Warship SP7 (new) – Havent tried it yet but I love the ROC3/MID Feel and will see if I am more comfortable with it over the river for upshots etc.

Mids:
170 Big Z Buzzz, (new) – Stable Mid, purchased this after losing my very first disc a beat up X Buzzz.
176 Tournament Harp (new) – Replaces my lost ROC3, I use it for reliable fade on upshots and head winds on short holes.
172 Biofuzion Truth (new) – Bought this with the intention of being my stable/slightly OS mid only to find it is rather flippy/US for me when thrown out to 200+. I currently use primarily for shorter holes where I want to throw anhyzers, but also on short holes with a tailwind (we have a few holes on my home course that are 200-230).

Putters:
175 Lucid Judge, (new) – Driving Putter, I have begun using this off and on where I would normally throw a stable mid and usually get similar results. I just bought the judges about 3 weeks ago but so far they are becoming my favorite putter. Still trying things as they come along or I see them out but so far I think I may have found my "it" putter.
175 Prime Judge (new) – Putting Putter, first judge I bought to try out the shape and feel, still looking at purchasing the other blends/plastic to test for feel.
175 Medium Zero Gauntlet (slightly beat) – very similar feel flight path to the judge for me, I had this before the judges and loved it but could not find a premium plastic gauntlet locally to pick up so I went with the Judges.

Planned Bag arrangement: (looking for tips/advice if this is subpar)
any ? is where I am looking for a similar disc and open to suggestions

SP10/11 O/S: Not sure if I need one but open to suggestions along with use case scenarios my SP9 O/S wouldn't cover at my skill/power level.
SP10/11 Stable:Surge or ?
SP10/11 U/S: Renegade
SP9 OS: Saint Pro or Culverin or Predator
SP9 Stable: Escape
SP8 Stable/OS: Stag
SP6/7: Warship or River or ?
SP5 O/S: Harp
SP5 Stable: Buzzz or ?
SP5 U/S: Truth or ?
O/S Putting: ? (have tried challenger and rhyno thus far)
Stable Putting: Judges for all putting duties

After I nail down my bag I will probably begin picking up a spare for each disc.

I also own but am not bagging:
Nuke SP13 too fast, Nuke SS SP12 too fast, Crank SP12 too fast, Predator – currently trying out saint pro and culverin, Insanity U/S less US than mamba and renegade, Fireball (meathook can't throw beyond 250'), Avenger SS – SP10 U/S I either disc up to the renegade or disc down to the witness currently don't feel this fits my current bag well, Groove SP13 too fast, Katana SP13 too fast, Valkyrie – too much S curve when thrown flat for the course I play most the escape works better for me on any shot I would use this for, Vision – found this but seems similar to the witness may swap soon to test, Zombee – overlap with warship/river and doesn't fit my hand as well, Mako – was awkward to grip/throw ,Wasp - puddle top not as consistently OS as I hoped might pull it back out now that I have improved, Aviars – I practice with them at the house on my portable goal, Challengers – same as aviars.

I have had and sold/traded/lost:
ROC3, Archon, MAKO3, Rival, Sidewinder, Surge SS, Wraith, Omega SS's, Stratus, Xpress, Comet.

what is your go to for max distance? can it be powered down to fit a different role??? Different plastics for different shot styles? speed 8-9-10 are not going to net that much of a difference in distance for you or even me. Its what feels good in the hand and works well.

Fairways stable and understable. Two disc choices keep it simple learn to throw each on different lines. you will be surprised what a disc will do.

Utility discs. - do you just need a overstable disc like a xxx/firebird or do you like throwing thumbers?

- your mid linup here isn't bad.
SP5 O/S: Harp
SP5 Stable: Buzzz or ?
SP5 U/S: Truth or ?

Putters are about feel so throw what you know. Its your call on this one.
O/S Putting: ? (have tried challenger and rhyno thus far)
Stable Putting: Judges for all putting duties

Welcome to the addiction. Each person is different on how they build a bag. Some people like me try to keep the mold count (different types of discs) down. While others prefer to have many different types so they don't have to worry about loosing a broke in disc that is part of a set (overstable-stable-understable)

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I agree with the overlap about 8-9-10. I bought all of them when I decided to disc down and take my noob boss/nuke/destroyer/katana etc choices out of the bag. I didn't know what I would and wouldn't like etc... I tried to keep it simple by making a requirement of it sticking around was that I had to get something meaningful out of the disc when thrown flat. Sadly, I likez all the plastic. For the sake of simplicity I am now looking at this structure:

Culverin - OS Fairway
Escape - Workhorse
Witness - US Fairway
River - Stable point/shoot/tunnel shots
Harp - OS MID
Buzz - MID
Truth - U/S MID
Judges - Driving Putter/Putting Duties.

The speed 11's I had in the bag dont go much further for me than the 8/9's which is probably due to not getting them up to speed.

So after tweaking some more My line up and playing my first tourney at jack brooks last weekend my bag now looks like:

Scorpius
Renegade
Culverin
Escape
Rival
Warship
Buzz
Harp
Truth
Judges
Ridge (slightly more OS than the judges for stall shots, upwind putts etc)

I've come to love the culverin, so much so, that it has become my go-to driver (and I am soon to buy several extras) for most conditions except tunnel shots which I currently use the Warship for. I took the Witness out because it was as flippy as the mamba before it, so I will be looking for a good replacement for it (perhaps try a fury or a maul) to see how they pan out.

Solid bag. I putt with Wardens, which are similar to the Judge but beadless. I started out with Classic Blend, then moved to Classic (hard) plastic, and I really like the firm Classic plastic. I have not tried a prime Warden or Judge, but if you get a chance to feel the Classic or Classic Blend (or Lat64s Zero Hard or Zero Medium, same things) at the store, check them out.

July Update:

Finally started buying Doubles of my favorites: Renegade, Warship, 5x Judges. Will most likely get a second vision and culverin at some point and replace my lost rival unless the thief somehow impresses me soon.

DDX - Stable Distance Driver
Renegade - Great "S" Pattern that I have become very good at manipulating with varying degrees of Hyzer.
Culverin -O/S Fairway
Vision - Shorter "S" Pattern but if I power it down a bit then it flies laser straight.
Thief - Lost my rival... so this is a place holder only 1 round in, not sure if it will make the cut.
Warship - Great disc for almost any line, honestly this and the buzz are overlapping but i cant seem to make myself pull one out yet.
Bard - O/S Mid
Buzz - Stable Mid
Judge - Putting and Approaching
Ridge - Approaches with a light headwind and stall shots.