• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

Anyone have any photos/map of the Tech Course new holes to bypass the construction?

I don't have a map, but I went and played it Friday. Hole 3 is shorter, down the hill and the basket is tucked in left just in front of the black barrier for the construction site. Hole 4 is the old hole 5 and hole 5 is the old hole 6. It's a big walk from 3 to new hole 4 between the chain link construction fence and the black wrot iron fence that's near the road. After new #5, you walk through campus to 6, which didn't have a tee box at the time I was there. I'm told it's on a peninsula, with lots of parking lot OB.

Saw this on Facebook last night:

picture.php

WTH is that CA shield, an Ultimate disc?

So Thrasher, Wiz, Outlaw, XL shryke? Cant read the westside disc...

Last edited:
WTH is that CA shield, an Ultimate disc?

So Thrasher, Wiz, Outlaw, XL shryke? Cant read the westside disc...

Yep, DD Ultimate disc.
Thrasher
Wiz
variety of legacy discs
Star Roc
Westside dont remember the name of the disc but its A speed 10, turn 0, fade 3 I believe
PA3, I think 300 and 350 plastics
Daredevil driver (?)
DGA Quake

Paragon shirt
paragon socks
Discraft shirt
Prodigy hat OR shirt
multiple coupons
caddy book

oh, and a personalized sport polo for hole sponsors, purple with yellow lettering

Last edited:
Hey Brock, I may be joining you in the late cancellation group. Slightly turned knee Monday (no problem, a couple of trips to the chiropractor & would be good to go). But the weather looks...complicated, so... save the knee? Then, today at work, I spontaneously developed all the symptoms of a possible torn retina, so heading to the eye doctor.

The good news for everybody else is that I'm a natural Murphy's law dowsing rod: if I carry an umbrella, it's less likely to rain. If I touch plumbing, it's gonna inexplicably leak. If i make an investment, it's sure to tank. If I drop from an event, the odds of good breaks in the weather improve!

...but at least, in the end, I'm going to attain true enlightenment. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. :p

Sucks Jeff. Don't mess around with that eye. my brother had a detached retina back in the 80s. Two years ago it popped back up and has had 6 surgeries since...

...Only you could make me sad and laugh all in one post.

If it rains, there might be less wind. That could be a plus! But most likely it will be a sideways windy rain lol

Kereikas: An "old school" layout - nearly everything is reachable if you can throw 350 with control, with different shot shapes required but not overly tight. Virtually all of the trees are large fir trees that can grab onto discs (and the times I played there the 2-meter rule was in effect) and will cost you a stroke if you get under or behind them. Baskets are older - rusty with shallow trays - and not the best at catching hard putts. It's a course that feels like you should be able to shoot several under, but in my experience it is a three-fest and a par round will be rated around 950. Given the distances and the lines required, I would try to play a practice round here. It can be played quickly with little chance to lose a disc.
I played this course sloppy. Didn't make any putts outside of 20' and took a 56

Phil Moore: Personally, I hate this course, but that's because I'm old and can't throw it 400' and because it is such a schizophrenic layout. More than half the holes are wide open with OB off the fairways (which are mostly generous), but there is a 700, an 800, and a 900 foot hole. The remainder of the course is exceptionally tight, and water comes into play on a couple of them. The worst time to play this course is in the spring, as it can get easily waterlogged and that combined with the seemingly ever-present high winds can make playing there a miserable experience. Given its length, you are going to get some fours and maybe a couple of fives, so it is key to get enough deuces (especially on holes 14-18) to have a competitive score. Even (54) is 1000-rated, and I would be very happy with anything under 60. If you don't have time to practice all of the courses, you can skip this one as it is WYSIWYG.
I played the woods holes very well and the putter treated me very well. Shot a 53 and was pumped!

SCKCTCS: IMO the most interesting course in BG, and another one that you absolutely want to throw a round on before the tournament. Requires a wide variety of shots, and has a lot of blind throws off the tee. A good forehand is really helpful here on some of the tee shots, and you will really benefit from having good course management here as it is really easy to get in trouble if you are overly aggressive. Par is a really good score even though the course isn't that long - you will throw a lot of mids and fairway drivers off the tee to put yourself in a good approach position. For this year they have closed a couple of the more open holes due to construction, and I DK what the replacement holes are like.
Started slow, but I managed the course fairly well. Minimized the damage and took a 60

Franklin: I will assume MA1 will play the long tees, which of course means if you have a bigger arm you will like the course a lot more. This one is pretty open for the most part, and the most notable feature is that 4-5 holes have baskets that are right on the edge of a drop-off that falls down to a fairly wide river - if you go in it you are not getting the disc back. Other than that, there are only a couple of holes that you would need to throw or at least walk through to see what line to take - I wouldn't bother with a practice round here if you have to choose, partly because it is a bit of a drive away from the other courses. There are a decent number of deuce opportunities and some OB to avoid, but otherwise my goal would be a couple under par from the longs.
Started off very slow and missed a few putts in the 20' range. This was the worst weather we faced. Shot a 55 and could have shaved off 3-4 with minor adjustments

Hope that helps!

It did! I was happy overall and had a great time. There is always room for improvement and I was happy to put in 4 solid rounds.

Latest posts