• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Amateur Championships at Bowling Green

Questions in advance (from e-mail to all players)

Thank you for being one of the 775 that have signed up so far . . .
I will answer the questions many of you ask . . .

NO, you can not request to be in a group with your travel with as you are seeded by PDGA ratings on score cards and pools . . .

YES, you may get on the wait list for another division and we will switch you if you hit the top of the list . . .

Yes, we will be adding openings to max out each pool in early April after the PDGA ratings come out at that time and we move players who get to bump up . . .

YES, you will receive a full refund if you drop prior to April 6, after that you will be shipped your 9 discs but no shirt or other swag . . . .

YES, this is a volunteer driven event so you are welcome to come and help with one of many tasks the BG Disc Golf Club will do prior and during event week . . .

YES - check in prior to the start of Round 1 is mandatory as your program is your players meeting . . .

YES, you can still purchase fund raising discs, tee signs, and flymart tables by e-mailing info and pay pal of funds . . .
Thanks again and be sure to look at http://www.bluegrassdiscgolf.org/BowlingGreen.html for updates to the schedule - disc announcements, pool assignments, etc . . . . . HB - TD BG AMs

Pool J - women and men over 60

I will be adjusting division limits as time goes - focused on keeping divisions on the same score card within the limit of 90 players I can put on the course. I will have some play together (like SGM and Legend) and Women GM and Masters, but do not plan on any men/women cards.

If some women's divisions do not fill their allotted tees (like currently I have 3 tees or 5 players in Advanced Women) I will reduce their limit by 5 and increase SGM by 5 - inviting players off the wait list.

Players can get in a division they qualify for (like Rec if you are rated 900 or less) and also be on the SGM wait list - and will be moved if you name comes up on the wait list in order. If you do that please put the division I am moving you from as your home town and I can just swap your entry instead of having you re-sign up.

HB added Legend this year for the first time. Thanks for considering that request. Slots still open so I hope this division makes. Maybe some on SG1 waitlist qualify?

Ledgen division

Yes Rob - I am giving it a try . . . if it does not get any more responses soon I will drop it down to a limit of 3 players and add some SGM players (having you slightly older guys playing with some of the guys my age).

But I will give it a week or so . . . .

Roommate and/or Carpool

I am looking for anyone that wants to share a room from Thursday-Sunday. I have a suite reserved in a nice hotel by I-65 and Scottsville Road. Two queen beds with a sleeper sofa. I will have my 9 year old son/caddy with me, so we will be very low key. I'm looking for one or two people to split the cost of the room with. With taxes and fees I got the room for $90/night.

Also, if anyone is driving to and/or from the event via I-65, and would like to carpool, let me know. I'm coming from Milwaukee, WI, going through/around Chicago, and then straight down I-65. Just looking to split gas $$. I'm driving Thursday and Sunday.

I'll take this post down or edit it once I have found people interested in one or both. You can reach me via email at [email protected] if you are interested in sharing a room or a ride.

Dang! I knew registration was coming up, and was preparing to register, but things got so busy around here I was distracted and forgot. I understand how it works, and the waiting list is only temporary for those of us towards the top, but it is a little unnerving not having signed up in time. I guess I could always caddy for amanda :)

Yes, I will let you play regardless - you can compete for prizes in GM or just win a disc if you want to play in a division of one - I will have you grouped with SGM lowest rated players unless there is 5 on your card reguardless so I can let a few more guys my age in the event.

Innova fund raising discs available

Innova first Championship plastic run of the new scryke has arrived . . . . players who ordered them will see them in their mail box soon (mailed today) but I have extras to sell.

$25 shipped, pay pal to [email protected] and we will ship ASAP!

Photo is of all colors (all 175g) and the few flag stamped left.

Attachments

• bg ams 2017 Innova cfr colors.JPG
    bg ams 2017 Innova cfr colors.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • BG ams 2017 Innova cfr flags.JPG
    BG ams 2017 Innova cfr flags.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 34
I am all signed up for Advanced and see that I will be playing Kereiakes, Phil Moore, SCKCTCS and Franklin.

Can anyone describe the layouts, strategy and expected scoring for these courses? I'll be doing my research based on reviews here and elsewhere, but would appreciate anyone who wants to do a writeup.

Those are the same courses as last year played in the same order this year. Check last years winners scores. I don't know the Franklin course but the other 3 ....yes. These scores will keep you in the A pool... Ker = 45-50, Phil = 52-57, sckctcs = 52-57

Normally the winner will be <200 strokes for the 4 rounds...

I am all signed up for Advanced and see that I will be playing Kereiakes, Phil Moore, SCKCTCS and Franklin.

Can anyone describe the layouts, strategy and expected scoring for these courses? I'll be doing my research based on reviews here and elsewhere, but would appreciate anyone who wants to do a writeup.

Kereikas: An "old school" layout - nearly everything is reachable if you can throw 350 with control, with different shot shapes required but not overly tight. Virtually all of the trees are large fir trees that can grab onto discs (and the times I played there the 2-meter rule was in effect) and will cost you a stroke if you get under or behind them. Baskets are older - rusty with shallow trays - and not the best at catching hard putts. It's a course that feels like you should be able to shoot several under, but in my experience it is a three-fest and a par round will be rated around 950. Given the distances and the lines required, I would try to play a practice round here. It can be played quickly with little chance to lose a disc.

Phil Moore: Personally, I hate this course, but that's because I'm old and can't throw it 400' and because it is such a schizophrenic layout. More than half the holes are wide open with OB off the fairways (which are mostly generous), but there is a 700, an 800, and a 900 foot hole. The remainder of the course is exceptionally tight, and water comes into play on a couple of them. The worst time to play this course is in the spring, as it can get easily waterlogged and that combined with the seemingly ever-present high winds can make playing there a miserable experience. Given its length, you are going to get some fours and maybe a couple of fives, so it is key to get enough deuces (especially on holes 14-18) to have a competitive score. Even (54) is 1000-rated, and I would be very happy with anything under 60. If you don't have time to practice all of the courses, you can skip this one as it is WYSIWYG.

SCKCTCS: IMO the most interesting course in BG, and another one that you absolutely want to throw a round on before the tournament. Requires a wide variety of shots, and has a lot of blind throws off the tee. A good forehand is really helpful here on some of the tee shots, and you will really benefit from having good course management here as it is really easy to get in trouble if you are overly aggressive. Par is a really good score even though the course isn't that long - you will throw a lot of mids and fairway drivers off the tee to put yourself in a good approach position. For this year they have closed a couple of the more open holes due to construction, and I DK what the replacement holes are like.

Franklin: I will assume MA1 will play the long tees, which of course means if you have a bigger arm you will like the course a lot more. This one is pretty open for the most part, and the most notable feature is that 4-5 holes have baskets that are right on the edge of a drop-off that falls down to a fairly wide river - if you go in it you are not getting the disc back. Other than that, there are only a couple of holes that you would need to throw or at least walk through to see what line to take - I wouldn't bother with a practice round here if you have to choose, partly because it is a bit of a drive away from the other courses. There are a decent number of deuce opportunities and some OB to avoid, but otherwise my goal would be a couple under par from the longs.

Hope that helps!

^^^THAT^^^
...is an excellent writeup, my friend. Nice job! :clap:

Hope that helps!

Absolutely!

Kereikas sounds like a local course that I usually shoot well at (down to the crappy, shallow baskets). I'm hoping to do some work here.

Phil Moore won't treat me very well, but I'm comfortable placing stable-overstable drivers in the fairway and grabbing some 4's.

SCKCTCS could also fit me well, so long as I course manage like I usually can. I would say I play conservatively and it sounds like thats whats needed

Franklin should be ok too - sounds like 3's, minimizing damage and keeping it clean.

Franklin: I will assume MA1 will play the long tees, which of course means if you have a bigger arm you will like the course a lot more.

Last year we played the shorts, I assume we probably will this year as well but I am not 100%. It is still a lengthy course from the shorts.

I'd appreciate some campground recommendations. I'm playing Lovers, Hobson, , Griffin.Franklin but not sure that matters. Thanks.

I'd appreciate some campground recommendations. I'm playing Lovers, Hobson, , Griffin.Franklin but not sure that matters. Thanks.

There's a crew of us that camps at the KOA across from Basil Griffin. We'll be in the farthest site, near the pavilion. There's several other folks that camp along that way, and many others that take over the cabins. Not crazy expensive, especially if you're splitting the cost with a group of people.

Latest posts