• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2017 Discraft Ace Race

Anyone take a caliper to the rim yet? Considering picking up some used discs on EBAY if they're 1.7 plus.

Using standard measuring tape it compared to my Leopard, which is 1.6. It is definitely a driver rim, not the Zombee hybrid.

I am curious as to what the caliper measurement would be.

Guys on Facebook are calling this disc Stupid understable and Hella understable. But certainly not everybody is.... I really want to try them out for myself!

Last edited:
Well the two max weights I ordered arrived today and I threw them in the field by my house. They are definitely understable. Not in a turn a bit and fade back way either. I don't see a whole lot of difference in these and the big Z Archer I currently bag for turnovers. Maybe they'll tweak production, as I was hoping for more of a slow straight fairway.

These still go far, though, which is handy, and maybe I just need to slow way down. Just seems counter-intuitive for a disc that clearly feels fast. I'd say 7 speed. I really dig the feel in the hand.

I received my max weight pink beauty and was pleased with the disc and it did what I wanted it to do. Good forehand and back hand disc for my woody home course .Good distance with minimal effort. It pairs up well with the archer. A long midrange. IMHO.

Was thinking about doing a DGCR tester disc if there is interest. Basically make a list of people interested in trying it out, I mail a disc to the first person in line, then once he has had a chance to field test it he can mail it to the next person. Last person in line would mail the disc back to me. Any interest?

Great another super flippy disc that most players really can't use. I know its for beginners but make something stable, a Buzzz is used by beginners and pro's alike so I don't know why the disc always needs to be flippy. The Zombee was the best Ace RAce disc. Straight glide for everyone!

Was thinking about doing a DGCR tester disc if there is interest. Basically make a list of people interested in trying it out, I mail a disc to the first person in line, then once he has had a chance to field test it he can mail it to the next person. Last person in line would mail the disc back to me. Any interest?

Is this a common thing on DGCR?. There was an AR close to me, so I'm sure I'm going to see one on the course soon enough to try, but it's a cool idea.

Is this a common thing on DGCR?. There was an AR close to me, so I'm sure I'm going to see one on the course soon enough to try, but it's a cool idea.

Have seen something similar done in the past. Have not been on DGCR as much as I used to so not sure if it is still done often.

If you are interested in being the first, PM me your address and I will mail it off.

Great another super flippy disc that most players really can't use. I know its for beginners but make something stable, a Buzzz is used by beginners and pro's alike so I don't know why the disc always needs to be flippy. The Zombee was the best Ace RAce disc. Straight glide for everyone!

If it is as "useless" flippy as many are saying (and not because they have to flat-to-anny release with OAT, say, a Teebird, to get it flying) then I agree with you. A stable disc with a large range of available weights during the event, could better accommodate beginners and advanced players alike. But if it's like a seasoned DX Leopard, that pops up easy even when you really slow things down, I think that could be a really useful disc for the average MA1/FA1. For instance: McBeth bags a Leopard3 to hyzerflip through tunnels. "Most" players don't have his armspeed or form, and a beat-to-hell DX Leopard would probably be to them, what the Leopard3 is to McBeth.

(I dug the Zombee too. It's going back in the bag for glow season.)

I received my max weight pink beauty and was pleased with the disc and it did what I wanted it to do. Good forehand and back hand disc for my woody home course .Good distance with minimal effort. It pairs up well with the archer. A long midrange. IMHO.

How far could you throw it on a straight line? Did it pair with your Archer in that it flies similarly? Or how?

field test this disc along side a z archer, z glide, opto maul, a opto underworld and a champ metal flake leo. most of the dive were between 285'and 300'

stability from most stable to least
Leo
ar17
maul
archer
underworl
glide

Distance from longest to shortest
maul
underworl
leo
ar17
archer
glide

overall the disc I would compare the ar17 to is the opto maul.

So I got my Ace Race goodies today for my tourney and with that is all the extra discs for 1st, 2nd, etc...Does Discraft define what first place is supposed to get (Other than the AR champion Disc)? I'm figuring the bag and maybe a few others...Can't seem to find something on the web site or is it basically up to the TD?

So I got my Ace Race goodies today for my tourney and with that is all the extra discs for 1st, 2nd, etc...Does Discraft define what first place is supposed to get (Other than the AR champion Disc)? I'm figuring the bag and maybe a few others...Can't seem to find something on the web site or is it basically up to the TD?

Defined by Discraft. All must go to the champion.

From the Q&A on the TD page:

Q: I want to create separate divisions. Can I break up the Grand Prize between them?

A: No. You may create separate divisions if you like (some events like to create a junior's and/or a women's division), but the Grand Prize must be awarded to your top division, and cannot be broken up. If you make separate divisions, you must generate prizes for additional divisions on your own through sponsorships or club donations.

Defined by Discraft. All must go to the champion.

From the Q&A on the TD page:

Q: I want to create separate divisions. Can I break up the Grand Prize between them?

A: No. You may create separate divisions if you like (some events like to create a junior's and/or a women's division), but the Grand Prize must be awarded to your top division, and cannot be broken up. If you make separate divisions, you must generate prizes for additional divisions on your own through sponsorships or club donations.

Wow...thats like 9 discs and a bag sooooo it all goes to one person. Okie dokie that's the way I'll do it then. Thanks for the info

Latest posts