• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Green Mountain Championship

Just finished watching the rd. 2 Jomez, and it sure seemed like the problem was between the ears and not in the back. On 11 he goes for a big anhyser drive, when it was not at all necessary, and goes way out of bounds-most definitely not the shot someone with a bad back would choose.

I've played through considerable back pain on road trips and...

DNF

Just finished watching the rd. 2 Jomez, and it sure seemed like the problem was between the ears and not in the back. On 11 he goes for a big anhyser drive, when it was not at all necessary, and goes way out of bounds-most definitely not the shot someone with a bad back would choose.

I know from experience that when you have an injury it is between your ears and also in the affected area.

His follow through is indicating hyzer on 11 on bottom pic, I think he completely missed his line by releasing way early/couldn't finish through, and would have been a good shot if it went right of the tree. The top pic is from hole 8 which is a big anhyzer.

bmKQHIH.png

So - let's talk about this McBeth breakdown in Round 2. Is his back really injured or did we just witness the disc golf version of this on Round 2 Hole 11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obycGT3Wg-U

I gotta say, it didn't seem like his back was hurting him that much, but I do know sometimes those things can be hidden by video...

Yes, because one of the most competitive players in the sport, who's worked himself to one of the top positions in the sport, has never quit, despite having other minor injuries and having finished poorly in the past, who has one of the toughest mental games out there , who negotiated a cash payment from one of the top sport manufacturers for a player in a rather small sport, suddenly couldn't take it anymore. I bet he cried his eyes out.

Next time of got an injury, I'm hoping you won't mind if I ask my doctor to go on something other than video evidence.

Just watched Jomez round 2. Watched round 1 yesterday. If Paul tweaked his back, it wasn't clear to me when he did. He said it was sometime during round 1, but he had a great round. And he was having a great round 2 as well, until the wheels came off and he went OB on seemingly every shot. Hope he's alright and ready to compete at USDGC, and don't question that his back is giving him problems, but it definitely looked like he had a few bad holes, it snowballed, and he decided he didn't want to be out there. The back contributed to that, I'm sure, but there's no question he got in his own head during that round.

I've played through considerable back pain on road trips and...

DNF

I suspect and admit I don't really know, that you've only played through fairly minor injuries. Real back injuries are debilitating. You can't twist, sit straight or bend over.

Perhaps Paul should get a note from his doctor, or his mommy for some to read? You know, just a reassurance that he's a real man and not a fop?

I suspect and admit I don't really know, that you've only played through fairly minor injuries. Real back injuries are debilitating. You can't twist, sit straight or bend over.

Yes, and that sort of thing can come on out of nowhere. Like, you feel good and think you can get through a round one minute, then everything locks up the next.

I have only quit one tournament for injury, and it was my back. I injured it weeks before, but continued to play regularly while it lingered...sometimes well, sometimes not. But at this particular tournament, it flared up in the second of three rounds. I was okay in the first round and even to start the second, but then it got worse in a hurry. Surprise surprise, right about the same time I lost the ability to throw without pain/discomfort, my game went to ****. That sort of thing goes hand in hand.

So of course McBeth didn't quit until his round started going awry. If he was playing well with the injury, then either he's superman in his ability to withstand the pain or it wasn't so bad (yet) as to be debilitating. If it was starting to affect his ability to throw certain shots or follow through properly, then it was probably serious enough that he could do more damage playing through it than not.

This is his livelihood. He'd be stupid to try to tough it out if doing so would jeopardize his ability to play future events. Good for him to not try to play through an injury that has hampered him in the past.

Just watched Jomez round 2. Watched round 1 yesterday. If Paul tweaked his back, it wasn't clear to me when he did. He said it was sometime during round 1, but he had a great round. And he was having a great round 2 as well, until the wheels came off and he went OB on seemingly every shot. Hope he's alright and ready to compete at USDGC, and don't question that his back is giving him problems, but it definitely looked like he had a few bad holes, it snowballed, and he decided he didn't want to be out there. The back contributed to that, I'm sure, but there's no question he got in his own head during that round.

Did you consider that he had a few bad holes BECAUSE of the back injury?

Yeah. Like I said, he was having a good round, there was no sign that he was hurt, then the string of bad holes started. But back injuries aren't fun and I don't doubt that he's hurt. I think he would've played through it if he hadn't tanked those holes. All I'm saying.

Well, I just spent the last 45min going thru every setting/account option on YT and still cant figure out what's wrong...

Yes tell me more about my life that I've lived and you havnt... I seem to not know the things I've done as...

DNF

Your life will be richer if you're not spending your time in YouTube chat rooms.
Your computer is telling you something...

Sometimes when your typical DGCR poster makes me :doh: I'll just go read YT comments or chats and feel instantly better about the quality of this place.

His follow through is indicating hyzer on 11 on bottom pic, I think he completely missed his line by releasing way early/couldn't finish through, and would have been a good shot if it went right of the tree. The top pic is from hole 8 which is a big anhyzer.

I just rewatched his drive on hole 11 in slow motion, and I think your observation is correct.

Latest posts