• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
The Nati Disc Golf and DGPT present the 2017 Idlewild Open

https://www.dgpt.com/
http://www.thenatidiscgolf.com/

Since Idlewild's initial creation by Fred Salaz and Robert Herbert, it was clear that there was something special in the making. Over the past 15 years, Idlewild has been widely hailed as one of the best courses in the world, routinely ranked as a Top 10 Course by DGCourseReview.com.
The course will challenge the best players in the world with its 18 hole, par 72 layout. From its 1000 par 5 to its tight 280 holes, from its long straight bombs that require landing zone accuracy to its large number of dog legs that require intense shot shaping, this course is ready to test the best.
The crew at The Nati Disc Golf, well known for running excellent events throughout the region, will be heading up the team putting on the Idlewild Open. Get ready to watch the best be humbled, and to possibly see a new course record on one of the world's top rated courses. This amazing course and the experienced TD crew are ready to thrill us.

The DGPT homepage has the date different depending on where you're at on the site. One place says Aug18-20 the other says 17-19? The video says 17-19...

Sounded like McBeast was going to make an effort to play this, wonder if that meant both the course and tourney?

I would think this event will get a good showing of top pros. Ledgestone is 2 weeks before and a NT event in Pittsburg is the week after. Seems like a natural migration for them to move east after ledgestone. Also, there is a Btier in Indianapolis between ledge and Idle that would make for a good stop to kill off a week...

http://www.thenatidiscgolf.com/store/p531/Idlewild_Open_Silipint_(Fundraiser).html

A bit of a different idea for a fundraiser, event/tour logo Silipints.

s289857399328725316_p531_i1_w160.jpeg
s289857399328725316_p531_i2_w160.jpeg

Sucks. :( I get a $1500 bonus at the start of June that I intend to use to sign up for tournaments... but I have a feeling the Idlewild Open and the PFDO will both be filled up by then. :(

Well in less than 10min we got a few big names...

CamT, Dana, Drew Gibson, Ricky, MJ, Simon, Paige and Sarah H...:thmbup::popcorn:

Sucks. :( I get a $1500 bonus at the start of June that I intend to use to sign up for tournaments... but I have a feeling the Idlewild Open and the PFDO will both be filled up by then. :(
Not setting any records filling up, so you might get lucky and nab a spot in June.

Not setting any records filling up, so you might get lucky and nab a spot in June.
You're right I'm totally keeping my fingers crossed extra hard. My girlfriend planned a trip to a concert PFDO weekend so Idlewild is my best hope for a big August event. I've got GLO in June, Hambrick and CCR hopefully in July (hoping they don't fill either...) and then this in August. Anything Idlewild makes me happy. I can play like trash and walk away saying "I just experienced Idlewild" and be happy.

Idlewild Open: Graduated Entry Fees
June 17, 2017
Beginning Wednesday the 21st, lower rated players will be able to pay less to register.
The Idlewild Open has around 50 MPO and 10 FPO players registered. Our goal is to get 120 MPO and 24 FPO. We want it to fill. In our previous article, we discussed three reasons that Pro Tour events may not fill (location, cost, course). Idlewild has both a great location and a great course, so this is an opportunity to test our theory and minimize the cost factor.
Graduated Entry Fee
For Touring Pros, the entry fee is probably not a determining factor, but for local and regional pros (and adventurous ams), a $200 price tag can cause hesitation, especially when there are so few other "little fish". This brings us to the idea of a graduated entry fee for events that do not sell out.
MPO
$200: 970 and up
$160: 950-969
$130: 930-949
$100: 929 and down
FPO
$200: 890 and up
$160: 870-889
$130: 840-869
$100: 839 and down
Caveat: If the event does fill, players with a reduced entry fee may pay full price to secure their spot. If they do not they may be bumped by players paying a higher entry fee. Players would be bumped in the reverse order that they signed up and bumped players receive a full refund.
This should help create demand and will get more locals excited about playing against the best players in the world.
Added Cash & Payout
The Idlewild Open, as with all Pro Tour events, will have a minimum of $10,000 added cash to the MPO/FPO fields. Players that pay a reduced entry fee will simply add less to the base payout (although they will be adding more than if they did not play).
Players that pay a reduced entry fee and cash will receive the full amount that they earned. The goal is to encourage players to take the shot. Paying them in full will do this. Come play! Let's fill it up!
For every ten players that enter the tournament because of the reduced entry fee, the payout will go four players deeper. This deeper payout will encourage more players to take the chance since they have a larger opportunity to cash, and earn a Pro Tour Casher Pin. Also, every player that registers due to the reduced entry fee increases the overall payout for everyone. This is a positive for the touring pros, for the regional pros who expect to cash, and for the reduced entry players who will strive to make the cash. More players and a deeper payout will make for a better story line. As we say at a New Jersey gas station, "fill 'er up!"
Let's Try It
We have talked with the PDGA and there are no restrictions to creating a graduated entry fee system. The only remaining Pro Tour event that may not sell out is the Idlewild Open. TD Adam Jones is open to trying this idea to see if we can fill it up. Beginning Wednesday the 21st, lower rated players will be able to register using graduated entry fees.
https://www.dgpt.com/news/idlewild-open-graduated-entry-fees

Tourney map/layout has been released. Looks like they're taking out holes 12 and 17 and using A and long E.

io_course_map_new.jpg

Also there is a meeting tonight for anybody that wants to volunteer for this event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/396212900776216/

This meeting is for anyone that will be volunteering or helping us prepare for the event.
All are welcome to attend.
Meet at the Nati Pro Shop 630pm Tuesday July 18.
Probably order some pizza.
WIll go over the event details with you all.
Will have sign in sheets for the different duties, spotting, live scoring,etc...

I won't be able to play this, but I'm thinking of dropping by Saturday to watch. Is Idlewild a gallery-friendly course?

Latest posts