• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

Agree... you don't shoot -12 on a poke and hope course. I've played this one and it is very tough but fair. I love the 3 Turkey Gulch holes and went -3 through that stretch myself. Just had a tough time with the long par 5 holes.

For me, what's great about that is that one guy shot -12, and it was clearly spectacular. That is, he made his shots, with few mistakes. Hence the lack of bogeys. It was a statement. But you had plenty in the -7 tp -9 category showing the course can be mastered with good play.

For me, this is what a course should be. All natural OB, tough to beat.

As an aside, no way am I ever shooting -3 on Turkey, ever. Good on you Scotty!

One thing that might not come through on video is the scale of everything. Those trees are huge; nothing grows that big in MN, or MI, or WI. As a result, the gaps are bigger than they look, the holes are longer than they look, and the fairways are wider than they look. Almost twice as big, really.

For those of you advocating for more rounds to crown a world champ (which I agree with), would an extra couple of holes each round and a final 9 suffice? Say maybe 4 rounds of 21/24 holes and a final 9?

Given the idea that the courses are going to be legit par 65+ it becomes a difficult equation to figure out. More holes doesn't really seem to be the answer on such courses.

My preference would probably be to add another day and cuts to semis and final 9 as in the past.

One thing that might not come through on video is the scale of everything. Those trees are huge; nothing grows that big in MN, or MI, or WI. As a result, the gaps are bigger than they look, the holes are longer than they look, and the fairways are wider than they look. Almost twice as big, really.

So you're saying the course is fine, it's our eyes that are too small?

Given the idea that the courses are going to be legit par 65+ it becomes a difficult equation to figure out. More holes doesn't really seem to be the answer on such courses.

My preference would probably be to add another day and cuts to semis and final 9 as in the past.

I've forgotten, does worlds have a cut? That is, this year does worlds have a cut?

Chuck has written a number of times that Worlds tests a different dimension, or that it's supposed to. The dimension of stamina. In the past I've disagreed with this notion, but I'm starting to come around. I definitely see that some players have a stamina component to their game that serves them well.

I've forgotten, does worlds have a cut? That is, this year does worlds have a cut?

nope- 4 rounds for all and done. it seems to me that a final 9 would be the best way to maximize quality of video coverage- all available resources could be focused on one group.

By definition, playing fewer holes on par 65+ courses means fewer total putts and a bias toward longer arms versus past World Championships. Having at least one 2-round day on 1 or 2 shorter courses would help balance the amount of putting and technical challenges in the Worlds hole mix. Note that since putting is almost 1 putt tougher per hole on average in ball golf, they get a much better balance with 30-40% more chips and putts in 4 rounds than DG with usually 72 different hole placements played. Two rounds each on Jackson and Ft. Gordon provide only 36 pin placements and fewer total putts.

nope- 4 rounds for all and done. it seems to me that a final 9 would be the best way to maximize quality of video coverage- all available resources could be focused on one group.

Thanks! I'm not big on final nines. I prefer a cut and last round of the top guys. That would certainly be more than one or even two cards.

The course looks fantastic to me. If the pros could hit every line that they are trying to hit, they would have a birdie putt on every hole. Every hole is reachable for everyone and the difficulty is in your ability to pick the right disc, throw the right line, and just make wise decisions/keep your cool.

This is what disc golf needs desperately to be interesting and fun to watch and play. Any one of us could play that course and even if you only have maybe 350ft of power you could still potentially score well if you stay out of trouble and hit your lines.

Looks like McBeth is going to need more than McBeast Mode to save him. Sad to see. I wonder whats happening. Would be great to see some live stuff.

If I remember correctly (I'm too lazy to go back and look) CC has lead today and Jomez has Chase? I am enamored with Central Coast, but I'm more excited for that chase card lineup. Eagle, Simon, and Paul??? Mega card! :D

You do :)

Several aces yesterday... didn't see any buzz about any of them on film. Anyone hear of any ace footage?

None of them on the major channels anyway. I'd think a cell phone vid would have surfaced by now if they were filmed.

I'm predicting that McBeth won't win another World's if the format stays the same moving forward.

I'm predicting that McBeth won't win another World's if the format stays the same moving forward.

I suspect you may be correct. He seems to get hot starting later and needs that extra time to catch Ricky.

I wouldn't count on Ricky winning four in a row. I wouldn't not count on it either. But there are a lot of hot young guns coming up. Interesting times.

IMO, yes. But at this point, I'm just hoping Adam Hammes stays in the top 4. This is clearly a dark horse (Although I've never seen him play).

He's pretty good (I played on the top card with him two years ago in Advanced at a local tournament).

Goes to show how much he's improved in a short timeframe.

I'm guessing he ends up top three, if not in second place.