• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 USDGC

Hole 13 has interesting OB too
Standard OB rules apply
except for the Island Green.
To advance to the Island
Green, throws must come to
rest on the island. The
Island Green is not
considered in bounds for
marking purposes until a
throw has established a
position on the island.
So if you hit the island and roll out, the lie would be last place inbounds before going onto the island. I would think a drop zone would have been easier/appropriate here.

Last edited:
I like it. Avery and JT have some experience at this kind of thing already, so I would think the commentating itself, should go well...

...the chat is gonna be a cluster**** of whiney people.:|

I like it. Avery and JT have some experience at this kind of thing already, so I would think the commentating itself, should go well...

...the chat is gonna be a cluster**** of whiney people.:|

As long as Avery has someone to talk with it is much better. He can get a little dry but having him there will be overall good....I hope.

stoked about the live coverage, hopefully they do it well and it can be used as a model for other tournaments.

Haven't seen any predictions in the thread yet, so i'll throw mine out there. Based off the last few weeks of form, and the type of course winthrop is, I think Uli gets his first major. USDGC has lots of first time major winners, so why not? Also if Ricky finishes in the top three for the fifth time without winning, does USDGC start to become his white whale?

Ultiworld just posted their article about how the live show is going to be handled.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/09/20/live-coverage-returning-usdgc-new-look/

Sounds interesting.

What a shame! Both in the chosen direction and no smashboxx involvement. I let my optimism get the better of me (when the DGWT stepped away) thinking we would get traditional live coverage again for USDGC. You would think they would want to appeal to both the hardcore and casual fan. Seems like the simple solution would be to offer the traditional 2-camera coverage, have the studio as planned and follow the 2-3 stationary camera positions. Even signature holes of USDGC (like 17) will become stale after watching 10+ groups tee off.

Hole 17 looks a lot harder in this pic compared to what I have seen on video. The sidearm line looks tempting.

Tee-Box-Hole-17.jpg

At least there are no women for him to exclude from this production.

Except Paige Bjerkaas.

And this weekend's USWDGC champ if she decides to accept the invitation (Pierce seems likely to do so if she wins).

The course is shaping up nicely. As of this evening, virtually all the bottom string and top rope (or whiskers) that define the course are in place. Several of the baskets are not yet in tournament position (2, 3, 6. and 9) nor are the hale bales in place; sand needs to be replenished on the beach hole (#6). And then there's mulch, decorations and banners, and countless other amenities--still have 6 days before the USDGC AM dubs plays next Friday (Sept 28). We will be busy.

Hole 9 has had the most change--3 islands to a 685' basket. Most players should be going for an accurately placed 320' to 460' drive to the second island (those that had a 460' drive last year had eagle chances; now they'll have an accurate 300' or so up shot to have a chance at a birdie). My guess is 15% birdies, 60% pars, 20% bogies, and 5% doubles or worse; it will be a mean hole. It will be interesting for me to flag this hole for the 8th straight year.

Ultiworld just posted their article about how the live show is going to be handled.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2018/09/20/live-coverage-returning-usdgc-new-look/

Sounds interesting.

From the article:

"led by Avery Jenkins and Jamie Thomas"

God no! That's a hard mute for me, dawg. I can't think of two worse people to put in there; they were epic failures when they tried live coverage on the DGWT, and Avery even fails on post-produced.

I am interested to see what camera angles look like from the tower etc though.

According to the Caddy Book, there's a lot of Stroke-and-Distance this year, although you often have the option of re-teeing and/or a Drop Zone.
Oh no! Stroke and distance is the most boring golf to watch. :wall:

Of course, it's not like we will actually be able to see most of it live given this quote from the Ultiworld article:
The current plan is to set up a filming tower near the basket on hole 17, which will allow for a high-angle view of all of that island hole, the entirety of the long par 5 fifth along the lake, the 18th1, some of hole 6, some of hole 13, and some of hole 1. There will also be a camera stationed below the tower to get a close-up view of the 17th green and a roving wireless camera that will be able to get close-ups on holes 1, 17, and 18

Jussi is the Executive Producer of the coverage. :doh:
After reading the article's description of the live coverage, all I could think of was that year at the European Open with no coverage except talking heads, highlights, and Hat Guy. Jussi was in control then, so this doesn't surprise me.