• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

Paul was on the right track getting Addias in the mix directly. I expect another deal like this to be signed in 2019 for him.

I hope/expect he will, but let's not forget it was Chris Brophy that got the original deal underway. And who is still fostering links there.

I hope we hear that this DGI group has done something on this road for 2019. It's certainly been quiet so far but that could well be waiting for the new year and announcements.

As for Discraft not talking yet, are we sure we will have to wait for the 1st Jan. Innova have made their big announcement on the 31st October. Are we all certain the contract doesn't run October to October(I would have wanted my contract to be tied to the touring season rather than yearly) and tomorrow 1st November comes.....
The big announcement?

This has been fun to watch unfold in various places on the Interwebz today. My summary:

Disc golf Insider: Hey, Paul is switching to Discraft.

The Internet: NO WAY!!! Paul would never leave Innova!

Innova: Paul is leaving.

The Internet: WHOA!!! He must be (guesses every scenario under the Sun EXCEPT signing with Discraft).

Disc golf Insider: :\ Anyway, I heard Paul is going to make a gazillion dollars from his new Discraft deal.

The Internet: I heard it was more.

The Internet: No way, it has to be less.

The Internet. I heard the deal was with Yikun.

It will be interesting hearing Mcbeth's plans. I'm willing to put a lot of internet money on the fact he is going out on his own. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear he will be starting a dg company of his own.

Look's like barsby is going to slide in on this one as the only current world champ with innova. I would be like asking for a lot now if I was barsby. Did you hear that barsby?!!

Paul's mentioned he used Magnets before he was sponsored and the Roach isn't that big a leap from a beadless Aviar

Not that it means McBeast would do it, but Valarie Doss began using the Roach (the putter) when she went to Discraft.

It will be interesting hearing Mcbeth's plans. I'm willing to put a lot of internet money on the fact he is going out on his own. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear he will be starting a dg company of his own.

Look's like barsby is going to slide in on this one as the only current world champ with innova. I would be like asking for a lot now if I was barsby. Did you hear that barsby?!!

I have seen more Scorpiuses. Only 2, mind you, but that's the most I've ever seen.

No.

I don't know much but I know Nike isn't branching off into disc golf manufacturing.

Maybe sponsorship that gets him more $$$ and publicity and an opportunity to throw any discs he wants.

ive seen their molds get "clearance'd" out at local stores and even gggt and it takes forever for them to clear the shelves

i couldnt even give away a m3 i found at a local course (no name or number) hahaha

I'd have taken that M3. Good mold.

In the past Prodigy had issues, but it appears that they've upped their game recently. Reworking the H-series has been part of that. This is anecdotal, but Prodigy discs seem to be selling well on online sites for the past few months.

BTW - I think Innova is smart to get KJ. The maturity and focus under pressure that he showed was pretty amazing. I think we'll see more of him at the top than Paul next year. He is the future.

LA picked up Zlatan Ibrahimovic last year, a great but aging European soccer player. He took them nowhere, despite some great play and heroics. Paul will do some fun things for DC, but this won't pan out the way they want it too. There's a reason why dominant teams don't hire the guys on the downside, it doesn't pay. I like Paul, but he's level at best, and likely to be going down going forward. I suspect this will simply tarnish his image long term.

Uh, would this be the current USDGC Champion you're talking about?!? :popcorn:

Uh, would this be the current USDGC Champion you're talking about?!? :popcorn:

I don't think so, but he might be talking about that hasbeen that threw a -18 in a single round in a DGPT event. Nothing left in that tank.

I'd have taken that M3. Good mold.

In the past Prodigy had issues, but it appears that they've upped their game recently. Reworking the H-series has been part of that. This is anecdotal, but Prodigy discs seem to be selling well on online sites for the past few months.

I get the feeling Seppo and his family have had a positive influence on the company in a number of ways recently.

Prodigy really makes some nice plastic, maybe amongst the very best since the translucent CE was discontinued. (There I said it!) I think they've been held back by 2 things:

1. Ok, the initial roll out was super aggressive and they kind of fell flat compared to expectations. They can improve that image bigly going forward if they continue to stay relevant on event podiums.
  2. Some of their earliest molds were not great. They have been steadily adding quality to the lineup, like the A series is the most recent I can think of.

Both of those items are trending in the right directions, and I can imagine Prodigy continuing to gather steam if they keep it going. A few fresh faces on their pro team will not hurt them get more attention, either.

Take it to the "Why is Prodigy still a thing?" splinter thread the mods have yet to create.

:D

Apparently, Innova and Paul are being as classy about this as possible. Innova will definitely be OK. I wish the best for Paul, too. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but it doesn't matter to me who pays the pro's bills. I'm just glad someone is paying them. Disc golf is a great sport.

Someone mentioned Paul having a lot of money and JT mentioned DC offering something special, is it possible they are giving Paul a discount on buying a share of the company? It's also been mentioned that maybe they offered something that gave him a more secure future, and a stake in the company would certainly fit the bill.

Latest posts