• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

^Dudes personality and devotion to the sport likely moves plastic, but I dont ever really see his placement in tourneys doing it much.

There were times when I got sucked into thinking about certain discs because certain players made them look like it would make me throw better....but the "Oakley sig XYZ," if there is one, has never been one.

There were times when I got sucked into thinking about certain discs because certain players made them look like it would make me throw better....but the "Oakley sig XYZ," if there is one, has never been one.

Oakley's power isn't so much about his name on a specific disc as it is about his ability to be an ambassador for his brand. He's very outgoing, prolific on social media, and a memorable personality. He's a little goofy, not everyone on DGCR's cup of tea, but he draws attention to his brand.

Oakley as a sponsored player doesn't move a particular mold, but he does a lot of work to make DD more visible and consequently sell more discs. I'd wager that more casual disc golfers know who Eric Oakley is than about half the players in the top 25 world rankings.

Oakley's power isn't so much about his name on a specific disc as it is about his ability to be an ambassador for his brand. He's very outgoing, prolific on social media, and a memorable personality. He's a little goofy, not everyone on DGCR's cup of tea, but he draws attention to his brand.

Oakley as a sponsored player doesn't move a particular mold, but he does a lot of work to make DD more visible and consequently sell more discs. I'd wager that more casual disc golfers know who Eric Oakley is than about half the players in the top 25 world rankings.

100% agreed with this. Oakley is visible, regardless of how many wins he might have or what his rating is, so he can sell plastic. That said, having his signature on a desirable disc like the Lucid-X Felon certainly helps his sales too.

I wish him and his wife nothing but the best, however....to me there is more marketing of his brand than substance in the form of performance. I find it much easier to root for players who speak with their performance primarily and as a result of that become marketable.

"players who speak with their performance primarily"

Not many too root for then, at most 10-15 players that can win big events. . . we need more players than that too root for or this sport will die fast. . .Players like Oakley and AJ are easy too like and root for even if they isn´t finish top 5

What would you have said if he was still part of Discmania.

I don't understand what angle you're looking for?

But when he was discmania I thought he was just eagles chaperone..

so whatever he and/or DD has done or enabled him to have the ability to do has made him very visible in the sport, even while not placing tops In mpo.

DD seems to have players that are light hearted jokesters that enjoy the game? He fits in well there and vice versa it seems

I don't understand what angle you're looking for?

But when he was discmania I thought he was just eagles chaperone..

so whatever he and/or DD has done or enabled him to have the ability to do has made him very visible in the sport, even while not placing tops In mpo.

DD seems to have players that are light hearted jokesters that enjoy the game? He fits in well there and vice versa it seems

Worth noting that Oakley, when he went from being Eagle's "chaperone" to a full time touring player (also when he became sponsored by DD), he was a 966 rated player coming off his first big win (Ft Steilacoom A-tier where he beat, among other 1000+ rated players, Eagle and Uli). Two and a half years later, he's 1013 rated with a handful of lead card appearances and top 10-15 finishes at elite events. Reasonable case to be made he's still on the rise.

No doubt. But I'm guessing internally he's probably considered more like a hired employee than a sponsored player.

No doubt. But I'm guessing internally he's probably considered more like a hired employee than a sponsored player.

I hope not, at least for his sake. I know you mean nothing by it, but from what has been said, the reason Oakley moved on from Discmania was due to the fact that he wanted to chase his dreams as a player and not an employee.

"players who speak with their performance primarily"

Not many too root for then, at most 10-15 players that can win big events. . . we need more players than that too root for or this sport will die fast. . .Players like Oakley and AJ are easy too like and root for even if they isn´t finish top 5

He is very easy to root for. I root for AJ hard. I just am not a fan of "hey, hey, look at me, over here, doing things, with videos, look at me, look, hey you, hey, looooook." I would root for him much more if he did some commentary and the silly drone flyover antics without the peripheral "personal branding to excess." Maybe my opinion is unpopular with some, but thats the way I am rubbed by these sorts of things.

Worth noting that Oakley, when he went from being Eagle's "chaperone" to a full time touring player (also when he became sponsored by DD), he was a 966 rated player coming off his first big win (Ft Steilacoom A-tier where he beat, among other 1000+ rated players, Eagle and Uli). Two and a half years later, he's 1013 rated with a handful of lead card appearances and top 10-15 finishes at elite events. Reasonable case to be made he's still on the rise.

Look I am faaar from being an authority on form and technique, but...his form seems to me to be so touchy and flaily that the tiniest inconsistency in timing is/will be his undoing. But hey im just a guy with internets after all.

I will tell you one DG media thing. Later this year the national broadcasting company is airing a half hour documentary about Tuomas Hyytiäinen, who won the first non-US Discmania Combine and became a Team Discmania player. The premiere is actually tomorrow, on my home course after a one-round competition.

You may ask "Who?" but the bigger question is, in what other country than Finland would they do something like that?

This is out now. If youre interested, go to: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3391593

What would you have said if he was still part of Discmania.

Yeah I am a Discmania fan but I am not blind. Its not like every Team Discmania member is an amazing player that makes people want to buy their plastic due to their performance solely on the field, either. Granted, that takes superstar powers IMO. Simon and Eagle are the obvious ones, Nate Perkins likely has some pull (and also a signature disc), Grady Shue maybe to an extent but then its road warriors and local guys from there on methinks.

Non-Discmania sponsored pros also throw a lot of love their way. P2s get a lot of media time thanks to Team Innova players putting with them.

DD obviously thinks Eric is worth the contract, but I dont think they are banking on his podium finishes. More like the whole package, a la as laid out by the Lat64 post for example.

I wish him and his wife nothing but the best, however....to me there is more marketing of his brand than substance in the form of performance. I find it much easier to root for players who speak with their performance primarily and as a result of that become marketable.

Sure but at the end of the day all sponsored players are sales people. Any of them can go to any manufacturer and throw the same rating and have the same finishes in tournies. That is why for me it is fun to follow who plays for who, but it doesn't change what I throw. No sense in me switching up my bag to end up with the exact same results that I had beforehand.

I hope not, at least for his sake. I know you mean nothing by it, but from what has been said, the reason Oakley moved on from Discmania was due to the fact that he wanted to chase his dreams as a player and not an employee.

hmm.. I didn't know that. With his recent marriage I (perhaps wrongly) assumed a steady paycheck would be the priority. Met the guy twice now, definitely a nice guy with some flair on the tee.

hmm.. I didn't know that. With his recent marriage I (perhaps wrongly) assumed a steady paycheck would be the priority. Met the guy twice now, definitely a nice guy with some flair on the tee.

A three year contract isn't a steady paycheck? We shouldn't presume to know the details of these contracts, but it seems reasonable to me to assume the full time touring players (i.e. the ones without "real" jobs like the rest of us) who are signing multi-year deals are getting something beyond free discs and polos. And that something gives them some sort of security moving forward otherwise they wouldn't commit that long.

I've been saying it for years (and hyzflip10 just said it), sponsored players are sales reps for their respective companies. Sales reps generally get paid based on the amount of sales they bring in. Doesn't matter how they generate those sales (tournament wins, social media presence, clinics, direct sales, etc) as long as their sponsor/employer is satisfied with what they're doing.

Sure but at the end of the day all sponsored players are sales people.

Agreed, but at some point there may need to be some "suggested" methods of social marketing tactics. Too much blatant branded promos can send a negative message. Show me a player in a tournament (not in a practice round) video making a great shot with a disc that he bags, that, will send a positive message about both the player and the disc.

Latest posts