• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 USDGC (Jomez lovefest optional)

Great job :hfive:

Still don't see how this makes it (the collective) our responsibility you should remain spoiler free.

Maybe you don't see that because that's not a point I was trying to make :hfive:

people keep saying "THERE ARE NO SPOILERS IN SPORTS" as if all sports are "equal" in every way. they're not.

do you get it now?

Ways disc golf is different from other major sports as is most relevant to our discussion:
TV broadcasting. Disc golf is not on broadcast TV, live or otherwise.
Live product. Live coverage of disc golf, when available, is of a certain quality. I would describe it as "semi-professional". As such, if you want to watch live disc golf, you are sacrificing quality for timeliness.
Post round coverage. Doesn't exist for other sports as it exists in disc golf. Why? Because the live product in other sports is better than our post round heavily edited coverage.

want me to keep going?

Actually most major sports have post production coverage now. Almost all the major sports have a shortened version for paying customers of their PPV service.

Interesting that this section is about still images, not video.

video
[ vid-ee-oh ]
noun
1. a program, movie, or other visual media product featuring moving images, with or without audio, that is recorded and saved digitally or on videocassette:​

The word image (the rule does not specify "still image") encompasses photographs and video/film.

The break between GMC and USDGC is clearly too long this year. We've already gotten to the pointless back-and-forth on spoilers for USDGC, and the event is still basically a week away!

Can't we all just take a break and argue about something else? Maybe drop into the par thread and get riled up? Or form strong opinions on whether Ricky peaked before or after switching to Innova?

video
[ vid-ee-oh ]
noun
1. a program, movie, or other visual media product featuring moving images, with or without audio, that is recorded and saved digitally or on videocassette:​

The word image (the rule does not specify "still image") encompasses photographs and video/film.

That's certainly an argument the PDGA lawyers could make if there was a dispute over video-recording someone's likeness. It may or may not work. It could be fixed easily by explicit/more clear language. Also, since the PDGA is the one drafting the rules, in a court of law, they will be construed in the most favorable way for the player (since the player is the one having to abide by the contract of adhesion).

Regardless, industry standard is to use something that specifically gives permission for video images. Here's a simple explanation from rocketlawyer.

Get off of social media. How can you expect not to find out who won if you are on social media during the tournament?

As I mentioned, Social Media is part of my job, so it's sort of impossible for me to avoid. I do try to stay away from the results, but it's difficult when it surprises you in your feed. Like I said, I'll likely be unfollowing certain pages who do this.

So you want the people you follow on social media to put up click-bait titles so that you can decide when you want to find out the result? Things like that are one of the huge problems with social media right now. Imagine if news outlets did this for natural disasters or amber alerts.

If you are comparing amber alerts, to Disc Golf results... We're having a different conversation here bud. Amber alert is something people NEED to know for the safety of human lives.
When it come to something like disc golf, and something we're already following, and you're much more likely to get me to watch your video if you give me just enough info for me to want to watch it, without giving it all away so I have no reason to watch it.
It's like advertising a movie while giving away the ending... Why the hell would I want to watch that?

As I mentioned, Social Media is part of my job, so it's sort of impossible for me to avoid. I do try to stay away from the results, but it's difficult when it surprises you in your feed. Like I said, I'll likely be unfollowing certain pages who do this.

That's the solution (the bolded). If enough people are in your boat, they can follow suit and the unfollows will send a message to those media accounts that they need to change how they operate. Short of that, they can and should continue to operate as they see fit.

Once something has happened...I would say you no longer have any room to whine about somebody "spoiling" something for you.

The break between GMC and USDGC is clearly too long this year. We've already gotten to the pointless back-and-forth on spoilers for USDGC, and the event is still basically a week away!

Can't we all just take a break and argue about something else? Maybe drop into the par thread and get riled up? Or form strong opinions on whether Ricky peaked before or after switching to Innova?

2020 Pros changing sponsor thread speculation time?...;)

Limiting the issue to just the content providers, it does raise an interesting question (at least to me): What, exactly, are they providing?

Is it a condensed version of the event, like watching a DVR'd football game and fast-forwarding between plays, with the outcome in doubt?

Or is it a condensed review of an event, where watchers can see how what they already know, actually played out?

The bits I've seen, it seems they're not entirely sure. The commentators aren't talking in past tense, but they're not terribly surprised at anything that happens, either. They seem to be straddling those presentation choices.

But I haven't watched much, so perhaps I'm wrong and they're clearly one, or the other.

I know you are very busy right now but i would love to hear some elaboration on this point.

Hi John,

I believe the game will continue to grow with folks who look like me. That's awesome, but incomplete. My vision, my hope, is to see a future with as many women as men playing. After speaking to lots of girls and women, it seems like we need more women's only events, more Throw Pink, more girls playing at school, more courses with greater visibility and more restrooms, more female event directors and other similar initiatives. It seems really important to go beyond just making disc golf available; we want to make disc golf more INVITING for girls and women. The secret sauce that will multiply these inviting efforts is to have a female player or group of players who inspires girls and women. There have been great champions and inspirational women in the past, but they played before our social media time and before the skyrocketing media efforts of Jomez, Smashboxx, Central Coast, and others. There's a group of women now who play an inspiring brand of disc golf and the media is in place to take it to the world. Paige and Kristen are two of those women and the Winthrop Arena Course will hopefully provide the showcase that engages the fans on an emotionally inspiring level.

Glad to answer questions as time allows. Hope you are well.

~ Harold