• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2020 PDGA BOD elections

turbosteve

Eagle Member
This thread is being started to have a discussion on the best candidates for the board of directors. I think people should consider voting for Yohannes Desalegn because he has experience growing the sport in new countries. It is also important that he is elected because the BOD needs someone outside of the US to be on it.

This thread is being started to have a discussion on the best candidates for the board of directors. I think people should consider voting for Yohannes Desalegn because he has experience growing the sport in new countries. It is also important that he is elected because the BOD needs someone outside of the US to be on it.

Laura Nagtegaal is from the Netherlands.

Current board is the best we have ever had and continuity is important. Read the candidate statements. If they are vague "grow the sport" type stuff rather than specifics that candidate may not be the best prepared for the job. Dave Foss is a big supporter of freedom for TD's and of local clubs which are probably the 2 things I care about the most in governance of our game. I will vote for Dave and hope others will consider doing so too.

In this conversation, it's also worth noting this recent change to the bylaws covered here: https://www.pdga.com/announcements/pdga-bylaws-updated-june-3-2020

Members with an ownership stake in a company, or employees of a company that (1) submits disc golf products to the PDGA for approval, such as discs or targets; or (2) uses PDGA support or funding outside of the standard sanctioning agreement, are not eligible to serve, or be appointed to serve, on the PDGA Board.

In September, when this goes into effect, will anyone on the current BoD be affected?

In this conversation, it's also worth noting this recent change to the bylaws covered here: https://www.pdga.com/announcements/pdga-bylaws-updated-june-3-2020
In September, when this goes into effect, will anyone on the current BoD be affected?
Unlikely. Otherwise, they would have indicated their intention to resign by that date so their replacement could be elected. Or, in the case of the two Board members running for re-election, they would not be running again.

Terry and I were discussing the new bylaw last night. I don't think they go far enough. I think when joining the BOD, you should have to give up any sponsorships at all.

Removing the sponsorship aspects will be tricky. If you want top pros participating on the Board or Committees (which are just as or at least were as important), how will that be possible? Nate is essentially beholden to Discraft big time both as a sponsored player and major event producer. Is that good or bad for the sport? No judgment on my part either way, just the nature of a smaller sport where the money to run it mostly comes from the players and the manufacturers. Nate's just the most recent example. There are many other sponsored Board members through the years going back over 30 years. They at least have public Conflict of Interest (COIs) available for members to read and they have done a good job not being involved in votes where there might be a conflict whether real or imagined.

Last edited:
Removing the sponsorship aspects will be tricky. If you want top pros participating on the Board or Committees (which are just as or at least were as important), how will that be possible? Nate is essentially beholden to Discraft big time both as a sponsored player and major event producer. Is that good or bad for the sport? No judgment on my part either way, just the nature of a smaller sport where the money to run it mostly comes from the players and the manufacturers. Nate's just the most recent example. There are many other sponsored Board members through the years going back over 30 years. They at least have public Conflict of Interest (COIs) available for members to read and they have done a good job not being involved in votes where there might be a conflict whether real or imagined.

I think that the bylaws are just for BOD spots currently. We definitely want their input, but that could be as a committee member or something other than a BOD spot.

I think that Nate does have a conflict of interest, and he has been great about setting that aside from what I can tell. But, we can't always trust that we will have BOD members that can do that as the sport gets bigger. I don't know if this is an outlier that we have 16 people all going for 2 spots, or if it is a sign of things to come. But if it is, then I think we can afford to start to be more picky with who serves on our board.

How long do they serve on the board before needing to be re-elected again?
Three years. If they are appointed, then it depends. I'm not sure there are any appointed members currently. This option is available in the event the elected Board members don't have expertise in a critical area such as finance/accounting. That's one way it's been used once or twice in the past. Or a person can be appointed to specifically fill the remaining term of an elected member when vacated for some reason, recently when Shawn Sinclair was hired as a PDGA employee and had to leave his Board position. The person who has been included in more Board meetings than anyone in the history of the PDGA is Stork who has been an advisor (without a vote) for at least 20 years.

Latest posts