• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 goals

Yes....both.

In addition to getting your points, you can learn how to compete. Tournaments and leagues can teach you different things. The pace of tournaments is slow and tedious, learning patience and how to stay in the game, is a lesson here. Leagues can be very distracting. Players are not as focused and there are a lot of outside static, that you might not find in tournaments. Just a couple examples. Many players are glad to teach and help you along the way, enjoy the chances to listen and learn.

Oh...your points. Pick a couple larger tournaments and play AM3, if your rating allows.

Have fun. Learning how to become a good tournament player is about a lot more than score. You only spend a few minutes each tournament actually throwing, learning to love and enjoy the rest of the round, is the trick.

I'm a jr18 player and I have a goal to play in the 2024 Jr worlds. I need 200 points to even qualify to possibly be invited. What do y'all think is the best way to rack up points? Should I just pick and choose tournaments or start playing in sanctioned leagues?

Yes.

You might be able to get most of those points in a decent sized league and if you play well. But I recommend playing a variety of tourneys/leagues if possible over a variety of courses which will give you better experience. 200 points isn't a lot over a calendar year especially if there are a couple of A tiers available. At this point, I would not sweat the points but focus on improving your game, making new friends and having fun. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I only played five tournaments in 2022 and didn't place well in any of them and I'm almost half way to your points goal. There were eight months where I didn't even play in a sanctioned event. I would guess that if you played a little more than I did and were maybe a little better than me then accumulating the points you need should be easy.

For what it's worth, it seems like I get more points for A tiers and B tiers so I would probably just focus on those types of tournaments. The experience you get in the A tier events will be the closest thing to what you can expect at junior worlds.

The bigger the field of players, the more potential for points are available. That usually means bigger tournaments, GBO is a good example. Ledgestone another.

Larger fields yes but you also get more points per player you beat as the tier rises.

Oh, I'm sure there's quite a bit to how they calculate points.

I got 36 points in an A tier. 11th place and ahead of five people.

I got 18 points in a C tier. 5th place ahead of four people.

Yes....both.

In addition to getting your points, you can learn how to compete. Tournaments and leagues can teach you different things. The pace of tournaments is slow and tedious, learning patience and how to stay in the game, is a lesson here. Leagues can be very distracting. Players are not as focused and there are a lot of outside static, that you might not find in tournaments. Just a couple examples. Many players are glad to teach and help you along the way, enjoy the chances to listen and learn.

Oh...your points. Pick a couple larger tournaments and play AM3, if your rating allows.

Have fun. Learning how to become a good tournament player is about a lot more than score. You only spend a few minutes each tournament actually throwing, learning to love and enjoy the rest of the round, is the trick.

Along with the points above regarding leagues....a lot of times in sanctioned leagues you may not be playing with people of your skill level. I play in a sanctioned league that only has Open (pros) and Advanced (Ams) divisions. So I can end up on a card with people who are way better than me and with people worse than me. This gives you a different type of experience since you aren't carded with people of your skill level and it can help you learn more about pace of play, along with learning from better players.

Here is the info with the changes for 2023.

The calculations are pretty straight forward.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2023_player_division_grid_-table_5_divisions_etc._v6.pdf

So if I'm understanding right, both MA3 and MA55 both are 3 points at the C tier level. I assume that is per person beat. So finishing 80 out of 90 at MA3 would get me more points than winning MA55 with a field of 10?

If that's true, may be why it's hard to get the age protected divisions filled...if I am playing I would be concerned about points because I might be interested in taking a crack at 2024 world's myself.

Or am I missing something?

It use to be that it didn't matter what division in which you earned your points.
Does that still hold true today (i.e. if you want to play in MA55, you have to earn all your points in MA55)?

So if I'm understanding right, both MA3 and MA55 both are 3 points at the C tier level. I assume that is per person beat. So finishing 80 out of 90 at MA3 would get me more points than winning MA55 with a field of 10?

If that's true, may be why it's hard to get the age protected divisions filled...if I am playing I would be concerned about points because I might be interested in taking a crack at 2024 world's myself.

Or am I missing something?

I think you got it. :thmbup:

But, remember the points needed to play AM or Masters Worlds, are much lower for MA50/55, than MA3. (300 vs 1500?) So that kind of comes into play when making the decision of where to play. I can get 300 points in a sanctioned league and a couple MA55 tournaments. Was a time when I would play a MA3 tournament or two at the beginning of the season. I would generally do well enough to bag my Worlds points for the year. I would much rather play the MA50 at events, even with only a handful of division mates. I still try to knock out an early A Tier, to get an early start.

It use to be that it didn't matter what division in which you earned your points.
Does that still hold true today (i.e. if you want to play in MA55, you have to earn all your points in MA55)?

Yep.

But, remember the points needed to play AM or Masters Worlds, are much lower for MA50/55, than MA3. (300 vs 1500?)

Ahh, therein lies the rub (sorry didn't mean to start on a BBQ tangent).

I will keep that in mind in planning my 2023 events. I am just learning that sanctioned leagues can count toward points as well. Obviously I haven't competed much (once actually since I started playing again). Pretty cool.

Now if I can find events that even have MA 50/55 within a couple hour drive...

Latest posts