• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2025 Champions Cup in Stockton?

geebob

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
This dropped on social media yesterday. Multiple players responded negatively to the event being staged in a park course.

25championscup.PNG
CC_reaction1.PNG
CC_reaction2.PNG
CC_reaction3.PNG
CC_reaction4.PNG

While I certainly am not fond of the switch, it is temporary and hopefully we get to see some type of badazzz wooded course (hopefully there is enough left) out @ IDGC in 2026.

While I agree with them on the park courses (pretty sure I even like the golf courses better at this point), they'll get over it. Hopefully there won't be another Elite event at the same venue next year ala Northwoods this year.

While I agree with them on the park courses (pretty sure I even like the golf courses better at this point), they'll get over it. Hopefully there won't be another Elite event at the same venue next year ala Northwoods this year.
There is not another Elite event at Northwoods this year.

(Though four rounds at Eureka is arguably worse!)

This takes the place of the OTB Open for 2025 from what I read. Bit earlier to make it out to West coast as well so maybe dates will shift for some of the earlier Midwest tournaments to facilitate. Jonesboro then head out west? DDO later in the year around DMC/Ledgestone or maybe some shuffling of tournaments onto/off of the elite series for a year?

Worlds in Finland + Euro DG Festival replacing EO as majors next year so it'll be hard for a lot of the fringe MPO touring pros (1000-1010 rated) to make it into any of the MPO majors. USDGC and Champions Cup are invites via qualification before any ratings based registration opens and it could be hard to justify travel costs to Europe. Top 60 MPO and Top 40 FPO will most likely be able to get over and play those Euro majors (back to back weeks!)

This takes the place of the OTB Open for 2025 from what I read. Bit earlier to make it out to West coast as well so maybe dates will shift for some of the earlier Midwest tournaments to facilitate. Jonesboro then head out west? DDO later in the year around DMC/Ledgestone or maybe some shuffling of tournaments onto/off of the elite series for a year?
Would be good to see this. Shorten the Texas swing.

Doubt Texas loses any events, too much money here. Also the only state that has recorded more than a million rounds on UDisc.

Top 10 States by Membership
#StateMembers
1Texas7,145
2California6,095
3Michigan4,633
4North Carolina4,412

Doubt Texas loses any events, too much money here. Also the only state that has recorded more than a million rounds on UDisc.

Top 10 States by Membership
#StateMembers
1Texas7,145
2California6,095
3Michigan4,633
4North Carolina4,4
In 2023 the 2 Texas Elite events were both among the lowest payouts on Tour. They improved this year however. So far this year it is DDO (which would also be nice to not see on the schedule). I don't find any of the Texas courses to be overly compelling but there are others just as uninteresting or worse (MCO, DDO again). Waco does admittedly tend to produce solid viewing drama.

"Compelling" means different things to you/me vs what the DGPT finds "compelling" (ie - $$)

I bet Texas doesn't change at all for a couple years, and they will be adding the course that was used at Austin Beerworks for the FPO event this past spring. Looks solid, I know a lot of the guys who stayed there were fans.

In 2023 the 2 Texas Elite events were both among the lowest payouts on Tour. They improved this year however. So far this year it is DDO (which would also be nice to not see on the schedule). I don't find any of the Texas courses to be overly compelling but there are others just as uninteresting or worse (MCO, DDO again). Waco does admittedly tend to produce solid viewing drama.

I did enjoy Sprinkle Valley, so maybe that will return as a Elite Series location.

I don't have a problem with the Champions Cup being in California, but I really wish they'd have found a woods course. That's what makes the Champions Cup special and my guess is that one of two things will happen. #1 - It will turn into another major on an open, boring, but spectator friendly course. #2 - it will revert to a being a tough test of woods golf, but the 2025 winner will be the player that won the year it was played in a park.

The big loser regarding scheduling is the West Coast; it is an after thought so why not Stockton. The DGPT wants to go to Europe and the West Coast is what is being sacrificed. Texas and Florida will continue to dominate the offseason/preseason due to weather. The Texas courses don't do it for me so I'll only watch if I'm practicing my guitar or have absolutely nothing else to do.

Latest posts