• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2nd Annual Okthrowberfest DGCR Dyers' Contest

The dye I submitted last year was only the secord or third I had ever done. It was just to submit one. I actually got more votes than I expected.

I like having a Hand Cut category since us hand cutters are have to put in alot of time to match a plotter.

Last edited:
I'm in, I have a few ideas but need to step it up with the illustrious dyers in the field already. BUT put me down for another hand cutter woot woot.

It's really more about the design and the dye than the cutting method. I've seen hand cut stuff that blows away any plotter stuff out there. Plus, alot of multi-color stuff has to be hand cut for the 2nd, 3rd, etc colors.

Let's see how many people actually do this before we make 15 categories and get 1 in each.

Having been a hand-cut-only guy, then getting a plotter, I don't see the need to separate into categories. Look at the stuff I did pre-plotter, it's not any worse than what I can do with the plotter, except for perfect circles and text. My Bama discs had perfect text, and the letters were cut by hand.
I understand the argument -- I used to make it! -- but now that I've seen the other side, I know that it still takes plenty of time to get a design right, then get it cut, whether you cut it by hand or by plotter. Still have to weed, still have to mask, and Skinner's right: for multi-colors, you're basically hand-cutting after the first mask anyway.
If you looked in my gallery, and you didn't know better, I bet you wouldn't be able to guess which were by hand and which were by plotter. Especially for a "theme" disc, where you're not gonna get guys just doing circular patterns, we'll all be working hard to do the contest justice.
Can't wait to see how this year goes! The crop of talented dyers has grown substantially this year, so I expect great things from all of you! We don't often throw down like this, so why not BRING IT!?!?!?!

not to mention, that for alot of the harder images, it can just as long to hand cut as it does to create one eps file. Besides circles and texts (both of which I don't forsee much of for this thread), the only advantage plotters have over hand cutters is repeatablity.

that is a pretty good idea. I feel like if we had a few dyers that knew a little more about what it takes to create the images, they would be able to give a much better rating of the better dyes than just, "hey that looks cool!".

The only problem I see with it is who are we going to pick as judges? I suppose it would have to be people that are not submitting dyes, so they would have to be setup beforehand.

Latest posts