• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] 350'-400' throwers, what discs do you throw and why?

Putters (Up to 300)
Magic
D P2
S P2
ESP Zone

Mids (280-330)
Comet
Buzzz

Fairways (300-400)
Lucid Escape
Star Thunderbird (Big Jerm)
Fluid Felon

I put my FD and Thunderbird in this range. My favorite disc for controllable distance is a Pro Thunderbird (The white and purple ones especially). I am still using the same one after a few months and the flight has only changed slightly to more magical straight glide with a solid finish. I get a little more out of a DD3, but I can also not get a clean line and end up the same distance but farther left.

Putters-
Putting -prime judges
Throwing- DGA breaker. - great HSS finished with minimal to no fade
- Zone - it fades

MIDS-
P line md4. One is very understable, the other new. New one with great HSS, straight finish

Mint Bobcat ETERNAL- overstable straight with hard fade. APEX - this one is an overstable glidey gator. It's utility

FAIRWAY-
4 Discraft vultures of varying plastic and seasoning. My workhorse. My most reliable discs, and can get me 400' in most scenarios.
Discmania FD3

DISTANCE
Dynamic discs Raider- 1 SE and 1 fuzion- both are new and have very little high speed turn. Good for normal winds. 1 heavily beat up fuzion that is a beautiful hyzerflip machine. It needs a lot of height and lateral room to work.

Discraft punisher- new, used for heavy duty winds,

Other than the understable mid, I forehand all of these, as well as backhand. It reduces the need for additional discs. I'm also trying out a DGA RIFT to take over my understable slot. Occasionally u throw in a discmania MD, but there needs to be zero wind

Wow, everything about your post is almost too similar to me!

I too play mainly wooded courses, i throw almost exactly the same distances you do both max and with the different speeds of discs and my most common release angle is a slight hyzer. And guess what my bag is?

Putting: K3 reko

Throwing putters: beaten k3 reko for turnovers, k1 glow reko for straight, k2 berg for shorter straight bh and fh (mine is beaten in - no turn and almost no fade), Z flex zone for overstable bh and forehand shots.

Mids: beaten Big Z comet for turnovers, beaten crowned eagle md3 for straight hyzerflips, newer and domier crowned eagle md3 for straight to reliable small fade. Also trying out a Method here for more overstable mid but I'm having trouble releasing it cleanly on forehand.

Fairways
Speed 7: Pinnacle Patriot (legacy) for big turnovers, glow FD for straight hyzerflips or slowly turning shots (also very good disc for long straight standstill shots), colow glow FD2 for straight to fade (I have many other discs that work just as well backhand but the FD2 is the best feeling disc I've ever tried when it comes to forehand).

Speed 9: beaten s-line CD2 for turnovers, newer gummy s-line cd2 for straight shots, beaten roaming thunder 1 CD2 for straight to fade (also flies very well forehand - but the dome makes it not quite as nice to grip), Lucid Felon for overstable (I have a Doombird3 FD3 that might take over when winter is over, but as of now it is more stable than I need)

Distance drivers: Pro wraith for turnovers, beaten flat star Wraith for straight, newer domier Star wraith for straight to fade. I the winter I do not use these distance drivers.

I have tried alot of discs and most of the ones I use now are pretty much set. I really love the reko both for putting and throwing, the berg is extremely important for my scores and the zone is pretty much perfect for what I use it for.

For mids I'm loving the colow glow md3s. I have thrown some of my best shots with the comet - I only wish it was slightly grippier in the cold. Probably staying though. The only slot here I'm unsure about is a more overstable mid and if I even need one.

Fairways I love FD, FD2 and most of all CD2. The CD2 is probably my favourite disc overall together with md3. My Patriot is great for turnovers (works better than beaten in S-line FD and G-line FD for me) but its only just this one Patriot I have. The other ones I have are more stable and not quite as nice.

Distance drivers I'm set on wraiths. They are just the right rim width for me and I have them in different stabilities for everything I need.

Context: I play in NC woods mostly, close to 50/50 BH and FH. My Ballistas get a lot of use on open courses and my mids and putters do most of the wooded course work with the drivers in-between used mostly for FH and for really OS/US stuff. No idea what my average distances are, but 350' might be a safe bet. 400' is my ceiling when I'm really on it with a good max D rip. I throw with a mostly Swedish style form so just about everything is hyzer-flipped. I play a lot of "Safeton golf" due to emerging FH opening up lots of L>R hyzers.

Max Distance:
172 Opto BALLISTA PRO - Ok headwind fighter, flex D
173 RGL BALLISTA PRO - Bomber. Less touchy than the regular Ballista, this just sails straight and drifts right forever.
173 Opto BALLISTA - finesse Bomber. I like to throw this on turnover distance lines.
168 VIP KING - Uphill D, turnovers, rollers, tailwind rider.

Controlled Distance:
174 C-PD - go-to FH and stable flights. Classic TeeBird straight to fade flight.
170s Ti UNDERTAKER- Straight to slightly understable. Very straight FHs.
172 Z HEAT - BH Line shaper, very neutral. Good for finesse FHs and turnover FHs. Great disc.

Fairway Drivers:
169 CH. EX - Stable, typical S-curving Eagle flight. Thrown a lot more for placement than attacking.
168 Star EX - BH/FH line shaper. Good turnover FW driver.
174 TP SEER - flippy as *$%#, rollers, FH turnovers/rollers
175 Quantum DRACO - OS, FH rollers, thumbers, etc.

Mid-ranges:
173 ESP MALTA - Nebula-X basically. Goes straight and dependably fades.
174 ESP NEBULA - Straighter than any Buzzz could dream of being. Lasers off of hard throws, subtle hyzers powered down.
173 Opto-X FUSE - Powered down straight shots. Great for long wooded tunnels and downhill holes.
176 OPTO FUSE - Essential US woods threader. Probably my favorite understable "driver."

P&A:
170 Neutron ION - Spin putter, some straight throws/drives.
166 DX POLECAT - magical floaty stuff
175 N ENVY - Hard throwing putter, windy putts, FH very straight.
(Lost my A2 so I'm lacking an OS putter and filling the gap with an Anvil/Justice which are fun but not my preference)

As much as I hate to admit it I'm older now and top out at 400' with 360ish being more normal. I'm terrible at hyzer flipping and have no forehand.

Max Distance:
It's all Wraiths all the time and all of my drivers are around 170 grams. I hate varying weight.
Pro Wraiths - obvious turnover stuff and max distance when I am feeling lazy or slow.
Star and Champ Wraiths cover all other duties. I trust variation in the mold to get me the variety of stabilities I need. I'll sometimes carry other stuff but mainly for water courses so there isn't much worry about loss.

Controlled Distance:
This is a strange slot for me. Now that my distances vary less than before I really don't feel much need for a real disc in this slot. I do carry one thing for turnover and easy straight stuff around 340'...
Dynamic Disc Escape - It's also a pretty useful woods disc for some reason. Deflections aren't as bad as driver deflections and it's pretty workable.
Fairway Drivers:
It's just Teebirds. Why not, they work great. G star for flippy and Champ for everythign else. All 175g

Mid-ranges:
This never varies-
Dx Rocs - Max weight and I cycle them. Cheap and they work fine.
Star Rocs. Good for everything really. I try to keep them as my workhorses to save the wear and tear on the Dxs.
Champ Roc - Just steady stability
P&A:
Rekos- I've got a bunch. I credit this disc for correcting my putting game. I rarely drive them
Wizards- I keep a flippy one for dangerous approaches. It rarely rolls or slides. I love driving them as well.
Harp- I really think this is the most important disc in my bag. I have them in different plastics, they save so many strokes it is almost a joke. My vote for the best disc in the last 10 years and I've tried a ton.

Latest posts