• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3D Printed Disc

pathrunner

Hey all,

Got ahold of a Mytrix 3d Printer. It's a large format 3d Printer and I was thinking about printing my own discs.

Gonna start with a simple putter. I have PLA and ABS and the printer istself does a gradient, so can do two different colors with a gradient.

Just wondering if anyone here has done anything like this before and if so, what kind of results did you have?

I think there was a thread on this sometime in the recent past. IMHO disc printing could be interesting, but the companies won't like it very much as it'll cut into their sales....

I think there was a thread on this sometime in the recent past. IMHO disc printing could be interesting, but the companies won't like it very much as it'll cut into their sales....

Since 3D printed discs are unlikely to ever be approved for PDGA competitive play, I'm betting most of the manufacturers aren't too worried.

Since 3D printed discs are unlikely to ever be approved for PDGA competitive play, I'm betting most of the manufacturers aren't too worried.

Why wouldn't a 3D disc not be approved (upon submission) if it meets the PDGA requirements?

Why wouldn't a 3D disc not be approved (upon submission) if it meets the PDGA requirements?

Because one of the requirements for a disc to be approved is that it "be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 500" (PDGA Technical Standards, page 3).

Unless someone wants to start up a manufacturing company that produces their discs by 3D printers rather than injection molding machines, 3D printing discs is going to be a novelty at most.

Because one of the requirements for a disc to be approved is that it "be of a production-type disc available commercially to the public in numbers of at least 500" (PDGA Technical Standards, page 3).

Unless someone wants to start up a manufacturing company that produces their discs by 3D printers rather than injection molding machines, 3D printing discs is going to be a novelty at most.

So the fact they are 3D printed isn't exclusionary, just the fact that doing them in those numbers is potentially an issue. Correct?

So the fact they are 3D printed isn't exclusionary, just the fact that doing them in those numbers is potentially an issue. Correct?

Yes.

Homemade discs would never meet the requirements set forth by the PDGA because the quantity required would probably be cost-prohibitive. That shouldn't stop people from doing it if they want to have some fun with it, but such a thing should never be considered a threat to business by existing disc manufacturers.

I can't imagine that most 3D printed materials would hold up to tree hits.

I'm also wondering whether these 3D models will meet all of the specs. I'm curious whether building the disc in blobs of plastic versus the smoother molecular alignment from injection molding will make them either more brittle or less flexible.

I'm also wondering whether these 3D models will meet all of the specs. I'm curious whether building the disc in blobs of plastic versus the smoother molecular alignment from injection molding will make them either more brittle or less flexible.

Depends on the material. Some of the higher end machines (like $60k+) can do a rubber like material.

The one in the OP, the disc will not be flexible and I am willing to bet almost anything the disc will exploded the first time it hits anything hard.

Discs also have to be able to pass the "Flex Test"

I think it would be more beneficial to make the molds using a 3D printer, this would allow for a limited number of discs to be produced. After testing you could make the modifications on the model and make another mold using the 3D printer.

All the material I have used for printed parts is to brittle and light weight(I know other materials exist).

What about Gateway?

That's the point, gateway was asked to stop production of their stiffer lines of plastic - no more M or g9i.

But the rumor is that some other companies still have discs out there that don't pass the flex test :|

pdga, always picking on the little guys.

People don't care what others throw. I doubt anyone would know, assuming it looked a flew normal

I see what you are saying.

I do think 3D printing has a lot of potential in the future. Exciting new stuff. And one day we may just see a disc design for sale that can be printed (in quality plastics) at home. May not happen in the immediate future, but IMHO the possibilities are near endless and the time is a'comin'...

If I could afford a 3d printer I'd give it a try too. Who cares if it isn't pdga approved? It would be fun to see what you could make.

Latest posts