• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4-Finger Power Grip = OMG Amazing

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Quite seriously.. for anyone out there who isn't using the 4-finger power grip, give it a real try. After playing for nearly a year using a natural-feeling 3-finger grip (pinkie tucked away), a local pro suggested that I make the switch to the 4-finger power grip.. turns out it really is better. I get more accurate drives and an average of 20ft. of extra distance (due to the extra snap) from the switch alone.

Just as an example, before the switch on my (easy) home course I'd never managed better than five under par after nine holes. After switching, I've now recorded both a six under par and tonight a full nine under par (not technically a perfect game, due to an ace)! If you're not using the 4-finger grip, definitely consider switching. :)

Also.. thank you to many posters here with tips on everything from form to putting! DGCR really is an exceptional community. :)

+1 to Will's post.

I was using the four fingered power grip for a year with rather good results. I messed around with the fork grip last week after much procrastinating. BAM! I gained distance instantly along with accuracy and consistency.

Different grips work for different people. I think it is best to try them all out and find out what works best for you.

Here is the Champ showing the for grip and explaining its benefits:

I'm too scared to try fork grip...it took me about 19 years to actually try it on a real fork...maybe I'll try it sooner on a disc, but I dunno.

4 finger power grip is pretty nice...I naturally migrated towards it (stumbled upon it) on my own, then read about it when I found out that disc golfers knew how to use the internet...

GL with it, and enjoy!

Quite seriously.. for anyone out there who isn't using the 4-finger power grip, give it a real try. After playing for nearly a year using a natural-feeling 3-finger grip (pinkie tucked away), a local pro suggested that I make the switch to the 4-finger power grip.. turns out it really is better. I get more accurate drives and an average of 20ft. of extra distance (due to the extra snap) from the switch alone.

Just as an example, before the switch on my (easy) home course I'd never managed better than five under par after nine holes. After switching, I've now recorded both a six under par and tonight a full nine under par (not technically a perfect game, due to an ace)! If you're not using the 4-finger grip, definitely consider switching. :)

Also.. thank you to many posters here with tips on everything from form to putting! DGCR really is an exceptional community. :)

If you stack your middle and ring finger on your pinkie you may gain some control and accuracy if you lost any with the extra distance. Your disc will only have to rip points then and less variables for mistakes.

I find the four finger power grip especially helpful on uphill drives. Not sure why, but I do.

I have gotten to where I use the 4 finger power-grip on everything other than actual putting.

Agreed 100%. I used the 3 finger grip the first 8 months or so I played, because it felt "right" and 4 finger grip felt "wrong." After giving the 4 finger grip an honest try for a full round rather than just one throw, I became fully convinced to continue using it permanently. Now 3 fingers feels wrong, like nothing is anchoring the disc in my hand.

I use it for everything but putting and short upshots (Use putting grip for the latter).

Agreed 100%. I used the 3 finger grip the first 8 months or so I played, because it felt "right" and 4 finger grip felt "wrong." After giving the 4 finger grip an honest try for a full round rather than just one throw, I became fully convinced to continue using it permanently. Now 3 fingers feels wrong, like nothing is anchoring the disc in my hand.

I use it for everything but putting and short upshots (Use putting grip for the latter).

How many rounds did you give it an honest try before you were convinced?

I will say this......MANY of the BIG throwers only use 2-3 fingers!!!

I personally would not advise trying it but it does seem to allow for less friction upon release.

IMO you need a power grip (4 fingers) and a control grip and I personally use a modified fork that many of the top guys use.

I will say this......MANY of the BIG throwers only use 2-3 fingers!!!

I personally would not advise trying it but it does seem to allow for less friction upon release.

IMO you need a power grip (4 fingers) and a control grip and I personally use a modified fork that many of the top guys use.

By BIG throwers, are you referring to Pros?

I made the switch from 3 to 4 finger power grip for drives not too long ago.

I noticed a small jump in distance, but the most noticeable things about it are that I can grip wider winged drivers comfortably (once my tendon flexibility increased using the new grip) and my accuracy went WAY up off the tee.

For reference, I only use the 4 finger power grip for driving and tall hyzer approaches - 4 finger modified fan grip for everything else.

i used the 3-finger power grip for about 3.5 years. could throw great drives none the less.

when i switched to the four, i lost about 50 ft on all drives, instantly.

took a few weeks to line everything up, but now throwing huge bombskees!!!

My name is Luke. I've been using the fingered power grip now for 8 months and it has changed my life.

(sounds like one of those exercise adds for p90x or something)

Latest posts