• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

400-500 ft FH drives? Really?

I've hit some big distance fh myself 450+ but I've lost my control. 6'7" 250lb. Former Pitcher as well

dude's big, strong, fast and throws sort of overhand/sidearm hybrid.

That kind of distance uphill with a Max "should" yield at least 550ft on flat ground probably close to 600ft with a disc that glides a little bit. In which case he should be going for the side arm world record IMO.

I can BH 350+ on the regular but for the life of me, can't get a FH past 275' without a downhill slope. I'm laser with the FH once I get in range but damn, I wish I could drive with it more often. I 'taught' a guy to play that was a black belt in martial arts and he did his FH like a karate chop and broke 325' the first week.

Dang I hate that guy LOL

I've been hitting 360' FH pretty regularly. Can't seem to break the 400' mark.
I'm 5'9" 135lbs.
My furthest disc is a Pro Valk 175g. I've been looking for something lighter to squeeze out some more D, but I haven't had any luck locating a S-line PD less than 160g ( in orange or pink ). I don't know many people that can FH over 350'. Backhand is another story!

I threw 10 FH drives yesterday 400-475. I was a little off didn't really get a hold of any.

I wonder what I could have done in 1998 with high speed Discs. Primary forehander in a time when there weren't many of us. 330'-350' was all I could muster, but we're talking with stuff you'd consider speed 6 today. I'm lucky to get past 250' as an old fart now, but I still love to play!

Some of the best FH throwers are either former pitchers or played racquetball.

Long arms and genetics (Fast-twitch muscle fibers) also clearly help.

Last edited:
Some of the best FH throwers are either former pitchers or played racquetball.

Long arms and genetics (Fast-twitch muscle fibers) also clearly help.

That big dude from Minnesota I believe was a minor league pitcher. I cannot remember his name but he was throwing 80+ mph and 500+ on FH lines at the Preserve and it really didn't look like he was anywhere near max power, just 80% golf line shots. I'm guessing he is 6'4" at least and looked like he got some long arms, but not a lanky guy, more like a tight end looking guy.

That big dude from Minnesota I believe was a minor league pitcher. I cannot remember his name but he was throwing 80+ mph and 500+ on FH lines at the Preserve and it really didn't look like he was anywhere near max power, just 80% golf line shots. I'm guessing he is 6'4" at least and looked like he got some long arms, but not a lanky guy, more like a tight end looking guy.

That's Ryan Sheldon, definitely one of the most impressive FHers out there currently. Certainly looks like a former baseball player.

Ryan Sheldon

I wonder what I could have done in 1998 with high speed Discs. Primary forehander in a time when there weren't many of us. 330'-350' was all I could muster, but we're talking with stuff you'd consider speed 6 today. I'm lucky to get past 250' as an old fart now, but I still love to play!

innova destroyer came out in 1998 right? wraith before that?

i bet you would've thrown just as far but it was just a different game back then.

similar to modern nba where even centers shoot threes more than 4 times a game and more importantly all players even non shooters are expected to shoot open three point shots because of simple math (3pt shot made is worth more than a far 2pt shot near or on the three point line).

nowadays it's kind of a no brainer to throw a hyzer backhand or sidearm if the hyzer line is there and you if have the sidearm/backhand distance to get there. it's the best shot to throw because of the natural spin and fade.

what's interesting to me is now the game has evolved to the point where sometimes the sidearm turnover or straight shot is the best option and players are throwing that sidearm with normal stable midrange and even putters like eagle (before getting injured) sidearming a md3 (normal midrange) just like a touchy climo backhand back in the day.

in theory that sidearm shot was always there it just took the last 7 years to see it in the pro game widely accepted/utilized

innova destroyer came out in 1998 right? wraith before that?

i bet you would've thrown just as far but it was just a different game back then.

similar to modern nba where even centers shoot threes more than 4 times a game and more importantly all players even non shooters are expected to shoot open three point shots because of simple math (3pt shot made is worth more than a far 2pt shot near or on the three point line).

nowadays it's kind of a no brainer to throw a hyzer backhand or sidearm if the hyzer line is there and you if have the sidearm/backhand distance to get there. it's the best shot to throw because of the natural spin and fade.

what's interesting to me is now the game has evolved to the point where sometimes the sidearm turnover or straight shot is the best option and players are throwing that sidearm with normal stable midrange and even putters like eagle (before getting injured) sidearming a md3 (normal midrange) just like a touchy climo backhand back in the day.

in theory that sidearm shot was always there it just took the last 7 years to see it in the pro game widely accepted/utilized

Agree with everything else you're saying, but Wraith was released in 2006 and Destroyer a year or two later.

edit: what Hamp said

i know i have posted this before but i first hand witnessed Rodney Goad throw a max weight beat in Cyclone pin high on a 535' snaking tunnel shot at Henry Horton State Park circa 1996. best drive by a long shot i had ever personally seen and i'm guessing ever will.

Latest posts