• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

400' now what?

Putting uses more stabilizer muscles than throwing or walking. That's probably the cause for soreness.

Try slacklining some time. You'll see how much strength it can take to just stand still.

Throwing accurately, precisely, and fast is a matter of athleticism. If a new disc golfer is athletic enough they will improve their scores drastically more rapidly and will be able to readily throw over 400 feet with a little practice. You are plenty athletic and throwing your discs quite fast and well to throw your tl3 400'. You are far...far from alone though so tone down the bragging :p. Ricky Wysocki hasn't been playing more than 4 years and was throwing frisbees 500 feet in less than a year.

To reach 500+ throw faster discs and understable discs. Perhaps like a slightly worn katana or tern, or a once overstable disc that has been worn to understable like a beat up boss or destroyer. faster discs do fly farther, but the stability is even more key as you have probably noticed. A very overstable fast driver even thrown with anhyzer can be tough to throw as far as an understable slower driver or even midrange. You will also be able to throw your overstable, medium overstable, slightly overstable, and straight flying drivers over 400 feet too whether they are speed 6 or 16. You simply have to throw them fast enough and on the right line. You will eventually be able to throw your understable midranges 400+ too. Just practice more, and more; figure it out via experience. Most importantly just throw the disc FASTER...and "better" haha.

Improving your scores is mostly separate, although it is also a matter of athleticism. Focusing on distance can have a distinctly negative effect on your scores. However, speed eventually helps quite a lot in lowering your scores as you have seen playing with people who can not throw as far as you. Even your putting will improve dramatically when you always release your putts fast enough with plenty of speed to hit the pole, which let's face it is quite difficult because it takes a lot of speed. Using your athleticism and fast release to improve your accuracy and precision is how to improve your scores, but experience is what will make the biggest difference. It will take a whooole lot of throws to feel satisfied with your disc golf skill level. Making more par and bogey putts will make an enormous difference in your scores. Making more birdie putts will help you compete with the best players.

Last edited:
I could tomahawk a Nuke OS 400'+ the first week I played disc golf. Some natural transition from baseball. That being said, I couldn't (and still can't) putt for crap. I think great next steps for you will be mastering RHBH and RHFH midrange shots that can make it through woods or alleys... these two along with putting of course.

You can drive for show and get crushed when you can't putt - happens to me whenever I play with top locals :D

Throwing accurately, precisely, and fast is a matter of athleticism. If a new disc golfer is athletic enough they will improve their scores drastically more rapidly and will be able to readily throw over 400 feet with a little practice. You are plenty athletic and throwing your discs quite fast and well to throw your tl3 400'. You are far...far from alone though so tone down the bragging :p. Ricky Wysocki hasn't been playing more than 4 years and was throwing frisbees 500 feet in less than a year.

To reach 500+ throw faster discs and understable discs. Perhaps like a slightly worn katana or tern, or a once overstable disc that has been worn to understable like a beat up boss or destroyer. faster discs do fly farther, but the stability is even more key as you have probably noticed. A very overstable fast driver even thrown with anhyzer can be tough to throw as far as an understable slower driver or even midrange. You will also be able to throw your overstable, medium overstable, slightly overstable, and straight flying drivers over 400 feet too whether they are speed 6 or 16. You simply have to throw them fast enough and on the right line. You will eventually be able to throw your understable midranges 400+ too. Just practice more, and more; figure it out via experience. Most importantly just throw the disc FASTER...and "better" haha.

Improving your scores is mostly separate, although it is also a matter of athleticism. Focusing on distance can have a distinctly negative effect on your scores. However, speed eventually helps quite a lot in lowering your scores as you have seen playing with people who can not throw as far as you. Even your putting will improve dramatically when you always release your putts fast enough with plenty of speed to hit the pole, which let's face it is quite difficult because it takes a lot of speed. Using your athleticism and fast release to improve your accuracy and precision is how to improve your scores, but experience is what will make the biggest difference. It will take a whooole lot of throws to feel satisfied with your disc golf skill level. Making more par and bogey putts will make an enormous difference in your scores. Making more birdie putts will help you compete with the best players.

Sound advice. I am just so excited by disc golf. It is so much fun. I've always been a team sport person, mostly hockey, but now that I'm older it's hard to find time. Disc golf is something I can squeeze in, especially with the course 5 minutes away. My bragging is more excited than conceded, it feels good being ahead of what I was told to expect, or even expected myself. Having this forum is truly a gift. I know, as is true with any sport, these giant leaps in skill and accomplishment will slow way down, so I want to make sure I'm on the right path, with the right mindset to continue to get better.
I have always struggled with humility.

I recently picked up a Tern, and cannot throw it very well. It surprised my how different from an Archon it actually was. Which I can throw pretty well.

Last edited:
Meh, breaking 400 is cause for celebration in my book. However, it actually marked the point where I started doubting myself more. Because now I can throw 450' but I'm stuck again distance wise and I'm not scoring as well as I thought I would. I throw farther than most people I know, I lose to a lot of people anyway and still am nothing compared to a pro. It's disheartening sometimes but I stay on the grind. So keep at it and be ready for some frustrating plateaus. Sometimes you have to rebuild even if you are throwing far. I am going to have to for sure. If you ever notice that you are not improving then you are doing something wrong IMO. :)

Latest posts