• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

435 foot drive, but how to throw further? video

between 1:06 and 1:20 on the slo-mo, you can see that I bobble on my right ankle. I almost rolled it but saved grace barely. I have been trying to release while on my right heel as I plant my foot, then roll my foot to flat. kinda like a stomp n twist/plant at the same time.

My only question is on these two consecutive frames...
attachment.php

Do you consciously make your wrist do that, or is that just naturally what happens? I haven't ever seen anyone (that I know of anyway) have the disc pointing nose up right before release and then have it pretty close to neutral or slightly down as it rips from the hand.

I don't know if that has anything to do with the distance of the throw, but it just looked weird to me. It seems like you could get more leverage on it if it was straight the whole time, but I am no expert on that area.

Attachments

• help3.png
    help3.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 381
Nice shot and that is a crazy slow-mo! I would close the stance, moving the plant foot 6-12" to the left side tee pad and focus on getting more hips into it. You aren't maintaining posture and body rotation on an axis. The arm swing scoops down off axis to the shoulders as your torso keeps moving forward ahead of the hips. You can also use your left arm to initiate a faster rotation. Check the bottom vid for posture/alignment detail and hip drills.

Watch Steve Brinster as he keeps his elbow on the same plane as his shoulders with a more closed stance, maintains his tilted spinal axis rotation, and use of the left arm. Also note the balanced followthrough as he just walks forward casually and this was a 600'+ shot.

@jongoff09: ya I do that to plant the edege of the disc into my fingertips. I can feel the pressure build-up and it makes the disc stay planted in my hand until rip time. Leaves losts of calus marks on my fingers tho.
@sidewinder22: I have realy been working on slowing down alot. I feel the momentum way better and get alot more over-all control. I know i gota work on my foot work. Sence I got the slo-mo footage I noticed that I spend alot of time watching where my feet are in relation to the t-pad. I have "thrown" myself off the end of the t-pad and damn near broke my face before...oops!

thanks jenb!! I see the light! or actualy I see his shoulder rotation and more compact foot work. I knew I was close, I have thrown almost 500ft once but didnt get it on video. I only have a couple of pix taken but I can see that I had more inner shoulder rotation than my video shows. Is it bad I wish I had my own t-pad in the living room now??

Another point to note is turning your butt more towards the target, so you can get a longer reach back. I did notice the swooping action of the arm as well, I have that same problem right now. It is winter with a lot of snow, so I won't be able to work on that till spring time.

It seems like you are levering the hell out of the disc. I agree completely with jgoff and sw22, so I won't re-iterate what they are saying. Only thing I'll add is, when you follow through, it should feel like your body is in control and balanced - Moving forward. The way you are following through looks like you are rotating around an unbalanced axis/leg instead of using all your weight transfer to move the disc and your body forward. Closing the stance and working on hip weight transfer will help, but you have to know what you are feeling for. Always strive for forward momentum, not circular

It seems like you are levering the hell out of the disc. I agree completely with jgoff and sw22, so I won't re-iterate what they are saying. Only thing I'll add is, when you follow through, it should feel like your body is in control and balanced - Moving forward. The way you are following through looks like you are rotating around an unbalanced axis/leg instead of using all your weight transfer to move the disc and your body forward. Closing the stance and working on hip weight transfer will help, but you have to know what you are feeling for. Always strive for forward momentum, not circular

ya but it always feels like circular motion?? Had some killer drives today in a tourney, finished my drives the same way off the t-pad. I believe I developed my own style. At this point I need to start working on acuracy. My left side arm throw is way more acurate, just dont have the disance (yet).

First thing that jumped out to me is that you're basically fully reached back for the entire run-up. Maybe not completely but its odd. Most don't reach all the way back until the left foot is crossing over behind and you're opening your hips up. I think you're missing out on some "elastic whip action" (technical term).

First thing that jumped out to me is that you're basically fully reached back for the entire run-up. Maybe not completely but its odd. Most don't reach all the way back until the left foot is crossing over behind and you're opening your hips up. I think you're missing out on some "elastic whip action" (technical term).

my thought is if I'm reaching back in my run up I can get the full extention for my rip. I'm kinda working on a timming issue, or atleast thats what I believe my main issue is. Its all about the timming.

It's looks to me like you started your run up with your right foot 1st. Try a baby steb with your left foot 1st and will help you get your backside turned a liitle more towards the target. It looks like it's working for you, but starting right foot 1st is something I don't normally see.

It's looks to me like you started your run up with your right foot 1st. Try a baby steb with your left foot 1st and will help you get your backside turned a liitle more towards the target. It looks like it's working for you, but starting right foot 1st is something I don't normally see.
Ya I htought about that today. I do get a better turn into my run up starting left foot first, however now I got a nasty late release. But yes starting left foot first does help quite a bit. I got about a 460ft helix outa my Nuke today, this time I teed off left foot first. My run-up felt alot smoother too.

my thought is if I'm reaching back in my run up I can get the full extention for my rip. I'm kinda working on a timming issue, or atleast thats what I believe my main issue is. Its all about the timming.

The term "reachback" is kind of misleading, because you don't so much reach back as step backwards (towards the target) while extending your arm to keep the disc from changing position. That's how Nikko explained it as he demonstrated it in a recent clinic anyway. He also demonstrated that the "run up" should be a lightfooted dance step that is really quite slow, and let's you do all of your accelerating at the very end. The big mistake, he said, that most guys make, is doing a big "stomp" with the plant foot at the end and stopping forward momentum, which wastes all of that energy, when you really want to be gliding forward throughout. At least that's what I recall anyway.

Here, check out Nikko's runup and reachback in this clip. He's the one teeing off first.

Check out how tiny his steps are.

The term "reachback" is kind of misleading, because you don't so much reach back as step backwards (towards the target) while extending your arm to keep the disc from changing position. That's how Nikko explained it as he demonstrated it in a recent clinic anyway. He also demonstrated that the "run up" should be a lightfooted dance step that is really quite slow, and let's you do all of your accelerating at the very end. The big mistake, he said, that most guys make, is doing a big "stomp" with the plant foot at the end and stopping forward momentum, which wastes all of that energy, when you really want to be gliding forward throughout. At least that's what I recall anyway.

Good advice. Since my timing is a bit off, I'll try this. I'm also pulling from my waist instead of across my chest, which is such a hard habit to break.