• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A bit of advise from everyone

I have been playing for a little over 5 years now and have picked up some good advice along the way from more seasoned players. Here are a few of my favorites:

On Putting - Buy two (or more) of the exact same putters (weight and plastic) and use those to practice your putting, and not with your mids or drivers. In other words, practice putting with what you will use in a round.

On Drives - Make the shots you know how to make and make them consistently. Don't try to make a low percentage shot that has a high percentage of turning a par (or birdie) into a bogey or worse. In other words, a 3 or 4 is better than a 4 or 5 even if you occsionally make it a 2 or 3. The percentages are against you. Also never use a brand new driver that you haven't fully learned yet in a round that counts.

On General Play - Have Fun! If you aren't having fun then you are forgetting why you are out there to begin with. And of course Safety First!

Rick G

Don't believe everything you read!

Don't give up looking for that disc you just threw into the weeds, has saved me a lot of money and discs.

If I may add, don't forget to look futher than you think the disc landed. Can't tell you how many times I have looked for a lost disc, given up and then found as I was walking to the next hole 50-75 feet further than I had thought. Discs have a tendency to roll and richochet once they leave your field of vision.

Rick G

"Smooth is power" and "Keep your chin up while putting". These two things have changed my game. I've slowed everything down and now have cleaner form which increased my power/distance. And since I started keeping my head/chin up and focused on the chains, my putting comfort zone has increased greatly.

Use the slowest disc you can to get it there.

The control I have gained by following this advice is invaluable.

The biggest help to me game has been to not over analyze everything. When I step onto the tee, up to an upshot, or up to my mini for a putt, I know the goal. The goal of each shot is to hit the intended line and make the shot successful. I don't line shots up, I don't line putts up with a special routine, I don't really think about any kind of form. I only think about the line I have to hit. For a putt, I step up and putt maybe taking about 4 seconds to release the disc. It has helped me stay loose and not tense up which has done a number of things.

I have added distance to drives. Hit lines easier and my snap has improved greatly. My forehand has become beastly. I now can make putts better than ever, inside and out of the circle.

Don't read all these forum posts and watch videos and study every little move. Just do what feels right and expand on that. You are trying to throw a disc in a basket, so do that. Don't make it harder on yourself by over analyzing. Play your game and worry about yourself, it will take you far.

My $.02

Best Advice Ever:

When faced with a choice of two shots, go with your strongest shot. Then go and learn the other shot until it is just as strong.

Putting: focus on a single link in the chain. Comfortable stance > Routine > Aim > Putt

im pretty new to the sport but working on one thing at a time helped me out alot ... Dont try and get everything right on one throw its just to much and very frustrating... i spent a hole round working on not rolling my wrist over..another round working on weight shift...slowly every thing started to fall into place. and if you are tring new things dont try more than one new thing ...

Workout, eat whole foods, only nasal breath when on the course, take rest days, only dynamic stretching before your round and static after, watch the trees

Workout, eat whole foods, only nasal breath when on the course, take rest days, only dynamic stretching before your round and static after, watch the trees

In other words:

Don't be a mouth-breather :hfive:

Also, never fry bacon in the nude.

To hell with poke and pray fairways, just throw a FH roller.