• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A change of heart about disc golf courses

jabruzzo3

Eagle Member
I once believed that any disc golf course built was a plus. I thought it was better to have a course, good or bad in way of design, then not to have one at all. It was a numbers game for me. The more courses, the more exposure the sport gets, the more people start playing, etc.

I have now come 180 degrees from that opinion after trying to play two courses that I believe should have never been built at all. These courses were so horrible that I almost game up the game completely. And if I was going to give up the game, anybody who was playing for the first time on either of these courses would never play again.

What do you think? Better design or more courses? I choose design!

Uh, both? More good courses and everyone wins. If you live in a dump and the terrain in your area won't support good courses, there's not much you can do other than put in crappy courses.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. Courses have to be good, not just there. Sometimes it seems like designers are falling over each other just for the chance to put a course in anywhere.

I have seen some really crappy courses around here. The terrain wasn't too bad, but the designers didn't ask for any help and they did it their way. Because of that, the courses are horrible. A good designer can make or break a course. IMO

you almost quit disc golf because of two courses that were poorly designed? really?

I know. A little dramatic on my part. But these course were so bad thought if this is what I have to look forward to in the way of new courses, why bother.

Some of the courses that are considered crappy are often fantastic beginner courses. Not in every case of course because I have played some that were offensively bad, but when I play a bad course now I try to think about how my 9 year old nephew would like. Sometimes it's just different perspectives.

Uh, both? More good courses and everyone wins. If you live in a dump and the terrain in your area won't support good courses, there's not much you can do other than put in crappy courses.

In one case there was not enough space for a course. It was mingled with playground equipment and ball field. The other was all concrete, pebbles and rocks. No grass. No dirt. Just concrete. And the baskets in some cases were within 5 feet from windows. WHY?

And since when did we start making PEOPLE obstacles to shoot around? Tree and bushes, great. But People? Lets get real.

Last edited:
When I am forced or choose to play a bad course I usually find a way to add something to make it more fun or interesting. All you really have to do is use their baskets.

I once believed that any disc golf course built was a plus. I thought it was better to have a course, good or bad in way of design, then not to have one at all. It was a numbers game for me. The more courses, the more exposure the sport gets, the more people start playing, etc.

I have now come 180 degrees from that opinion after trying to play two courses that I believe should have never been built at all.
Well don't just talk about it dude, name some names damnit! Bonus points if there are pictures.

These courses were so horrible that I almost game up the game completely. And if I was going to give up the game, anybody who was playing for the first time on either of these courses would never play again.
Oh, for Godseye peas sakes, we already have one stupid thread of pious sanctimony going, we sure don't need to be starting another one. If one is going to quit playing a game because they came across a couple of bad course designs, I wish they'd follow through on that threat. We have enough people whining about things in disc golf they can easily sidestep as it is.

What do you think? Better design or more courses? I choose design!
I choose both. Its not like they're mutually exclusive or something.

The ones I am referring to...an AM couldn't play well on. One of them is disc golf in a pasture...with a 5 foot long teebox...and a 3 or 4 inch drop off the edge of teepad. Between the sprained ankles, twisted knees, there are better places to go. It is Long, wide open, hot, really crappy baskets. And a really piss poor design. I refuse to ever play there.

Last edited:
I really did not want to call out the courses, because someone out their built them and I would not want to discredit their efforts. But in one case, there was plenty of space to put in a great course and they instead put in a piss poor course.

I really did not want to call out the courses, because someone out their built them and I would not want to discredit their efforts. But in one case, there was plenty of space to put in a great course and they instead put in a piss poor course.

Kinda passive aggressive there bro. If we want to nip this bad course design in the bud you gotta let them know. Remember maybe they aren't a pro course designer either. Maybe your town went on the cheap and hired some guy who has no clue how to play DG and just decided to put some baskets up.

I'm going both. There is no reason a simple, safe 9 hole course can't go into most parks. But yes I've seen some dumb ass courses too.

There are a couple of courses here in the DFW area that, if someone's exposure to the sport was only that course, would not encourage them to play again.

If their efforts involve putting baskets 5' from windows as you claim, I think they should be called out. If I was doing something wrong, I'd sure want to know how I could do it better.

Honestly dude, fixing up a dangerously designed DG course to make it at least passable in the safety department isn't that expensive a proposition.

Woodland park in Illinois was the first park where I actually didnt want to play there. We ended up going to Jefferson Barracks instead even though we drove the 40 minutes to get to Woodland. It was way too crammed in, and people had no respect for the golfers, so I get what your saying.

If their efforts involve putting baskets 5' from windows as you claim, I think they should be called out. If I was doing something wrong, I'd sure want to know how I could do it better.

Honestly dude, fixing up a dangerously designed DG course to make it at least passable in the safety department isn't that expensive a proposition.

Danger danger...really should discuss this with the course designer.

I do hate seeing the waste of nice baskets on a poor course, but poor course can always be fixed over time, so I like seeing new courses.

I do hate seeing the waste of nice baskets on a poor course, but poor course can always be fixed over time, so I like seeing new courses.

I agree, especially if you take the time to work with the designer or park managers instead of posting about it on the internet.

No matter how bad a course is... it is still baskets in the ground and you can always make a safari layout out of it for some good putting, midrange, and upshot practice.