• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A change of heart about disc golf courses

I really did not want to call out the courses, because someone out their built them and I would not want to discredit their efforts. But in one case, there was plenty of space to put in a great course and they instead put in a piss poor course.

The reason that we have this site is to call out bad course design, not to preserve peoples feelings. If someone can't take criticisim they shouldn't be designing courses. As well, if you point it out maby they will see and make an effort to improve the course, possibly even asking you to help them redesign it. If you don't put anything up, your subjecting other golfers on this site to possibly have to endure such terible courses.

Just my $0.02...

Wow. I did not know my attempt at some humor about quitting the game would bring out the wolves. Those that know me know that I would never quit the game.
The point I was trying to make, very poorly evidently, is that bad courses do not do us any favors. The courses in question were suggested to me by DGCR members. I read the reviews and believed the low scores were due to the fact that the courses were relatively new.
The two courses I am speaking about are Sunset Park and Camp Pendleton in California. I played six courses that day and these two really did not make the grade. At least they were on my way to other courses.
I do my best to promote the game of disc golf. I met some really great people online and in person. I try to take in as many courses as I can. Give disc away to interested bystanders and volunteer with new courses and old.
I did not realize I would be attacked by some of you for making a comment about a course. I did not want to name it, because I know how locals love to defend their home course and mine was more of a general question about quality over quantity.

I have no issue with pitch n putts going in the ground, especially in areas without a lot of beginner friendly courses for new players to learn the sport. I do hate seeing new courses with major safety issues, that's going to lead to conflicts with other park users and end up getting courses pulled, likely resulting in parks departments being uninterested in disc golf going forward.

agreed. a bunch of 160 foot holes can be fun, but when they are positioned next to the toddler area of a playground the course needs to be pulled.

For those of you that do not know him, the OP is not trying to troll or aggravate anyone, he is a great guy in person.

Now time for me to call out the courses.

I will guess it was This one

and
This one

edit: I did not see he already called them out.

agreed. a bunch of 160 foot holes can be fun, but when they are positioned next to the toddler area of a playground the course needs to be pulled.

Sunset Park had this issue. There was a kids birthday party taking place and it was difficult playing three of the hole because I was afraid I would hit one of them.

Camp Pendleton, I was more afraid of hitting a big ass Marine. They would not have had any trouble beating my ass to a pulp.

Sunset Park had this issue. There was a kids birthday party taking place and it was difficult playing three of the hole because I was afraid I would hit one of them.

Camp Pendleton, I was more afraid of hitting a big ass Marine. They would not have had any trouble beating my ass to a pulp.

I argue about Schumaker with these isses. I see the park as a huge over crowded safety issue, the locals think it is amazing.

This is too funny and probably more true than most people are likely to admit.

I wasn't trying to be mean with my post, I just like to know what courses to avoid as much as what ones to hit. Even thought if I ever got super rich, I would love to travel around the world trying to play every disc golf course. Kind of like Ben Calhoun's year long disc golfing road trip on steroids.

This is too funny and probably more true than most people are likely to admit.

I wasn't trying to be mean with my post, I just like to know what courses to avoid as much as what ones to hit. Even thought if I ever got super rich, I would love to travel around the world trying to play every disc golf course. Kind of like Ben Calhoun's year long disc golfing road trip on steroids.

No worries! I am a pretty laid back guy. I take everything in stride. Looking back on my original post, I guess I was a little whiny. I did get to play two really nice courses and two OK ones.
Center City @ Goat Hill was a lot of fun. At first I was apprehensive about playing alongside Ball Golfers. Thought they would make snotty remarks. But it was totally opposite. Everyone was nice and let me play through. They treated me just like one of them. It was great.

Wow. This looks just awful.

14411b00.jpg

But hey, its got a 97' hole! Go getcha a cheap ace before this thing gets pulled.

14411b00.jpg

But hey, its got a 97' hole! Go getcha a cheap ace before this thing gets pulled.

No thanks. I would be afraid that some little kid would think that they should climb on the basket and end up hurting themself. Oxford Circle Park in Davis, CA is kinda like this.

I thought about taking some pictures at Camp Pendleton, but then changed my mine. Was not sure how such an act would be taken by the Marines who live at the Bachelor's Enlisted Quarters - Barracks. They might think, what the 'F' is this guy doing taken pictures of our Barracks, and beat my ass yet again! The first beating for hitting them with a disc or breaking their window. I can not explain how close the first basket is to the building and windows.

Just did a quick search. Of the 3518 courses in the US that have at least one review - 185 are rated one disc or lower. Approx 5 %!! There's an additional 5% that haven't even been reviewed. So roughly 10% of the courses are poor to abysmal or nobody serious about the game cares enough to bother to post a review.

I vote for better courses! A basket is a terrible thing to waste!!

14411b00.jpg

I'm throwin' a Viper.

But seriously - this is what Brys and Wyandotte Memorial are like. Courses that play to close (or essentialy all around) other partk usesr are an injustice to both players and non-players alike. Not a good way to bring DG to the masses. :doh: