• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Good Score for Beginners?

dpp1811

Hey guys, this is my first post in the forum. I recently just got into disc golf the beginning of last week. Today was my fifth time paying and for the first time me and a friend kept score (it was his fifth time playing as well, we started together). I got a 71 and he got a 66. I know scoring depends on the pars and such, and I can't really give our scores per hole. But how well off would you say our scores are for only our fifth time?

By the way, we play at Bellamy Disc Golf Course in Dover, NH.
Here's the link to it's page on here.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=336

Thanks guys!
- Devin

I'd say you did fairly well given that the average score recorded on that course is a 67 and par is 60. However, never having played that particular course myself it's hard to say. But I'd say in the beginning stages if you're shooting around 9 over or less on an 19 hole course you're doing alright (that's bogeying half the holes or less).

Welcome to disc golf and to DGCR!

Go to the course page here and find the SSE (scratch scoring estimate). Add a stroke per hole to that and I would think that is a worthy goal to shoot for in your first few months (at least for normal courses in the 44 to 54 range).

I used to be happy with what I affectionately call a "bogey" round. There are still courses out there that I would be happy doing that on. I could bogey every hole at a pro course and still walk away feeling like I accomplished something positive. Don't worry about how good you are compared to other people. Just have fun and keep score so you can at least mark your improvement.

At least year's tournament, the pro open champ shot 54 in both rounds. Two rounds of 71 would have placed you fifth in the Rec division (out of 11).

So a 71 certainly is not stellar, but only 5 rounds in, it's a great starting point.

Thanks everyone for the replies, really appreciate it.

Also, @bradharris, it's wicked sweet to see a fellow New Hampshirean on here.

Just keep playing and you'll have your ups and downs. Last night my buddy and I played our home course (his PR is -8, mine -7) and he did TERRIBLE. Had to birdie the 18th hole just to finish -1 and was for the majority of the time was over. Myself on the other hand, I hand a pretty good night. I was teeing off 18 with the ability to beat my PR if I eagled it, (which is very possible), however I shanked the drive right and long story short, I tied my record at -7.

You'll definitely have ups and downs while playing. If that becomes your home course, just strive to do better than you did the round before. If it turns out you're sucking it up terribly, ditch the scores and just practice throwing discs/shots you normally would not. Just have fun!

Just keep playing and you'll have your ups and downs. Last night my buddy and I played our home course (his PR is -8, mine -7) and he did TERRIBLE. Had to birdie the 18th hole just to finish -1 and was for the majority of the time was over. Myself on the other hand, I hand a pretty good night. I was teeing off 18 with the ability to beat my PR if I eagled it, (which is very possible), however I shanked the drive right and long story short, I tied my record at -7.

You'll definitely have ups and downs while playing. If that becomes your home course, just strive to do better than you did the round before. If it turns out you're sucking it up terribly, ditch the scores and just practice throwing discs/shots you normally would not. Just have fun!

This is your first year and you are saying you've gotten a -7 and an eagle is possible for you? The pars on your course must be totally out of whack. Where I am from, the first year you play you would be lucky to get +10 on 18 holes.

The only way to shoot an eagle in my city is by acing a hole or throwing 500+ ft drives

Last edited:
That makes three of us. jtreadwell is from your area. He's a Bellamy regular.

Yes I am! 71 (+11 course par) is a good score for that course after just 5 rounds for sure! I've been playing there 3 - 10 times a week for almost 3 years and my best is still only a 54 (usually shoot between 58 and 62). I'll PM you and we can meet up for a round sometime!

This is your first year and you are saying you've gotten a -7 and an eagle is possible for you? The pars on your course must be totally out of whack. Where I am from, the first year you play you would be lucky to get +10 on 18 holes.

The only way to shoot an eagle in my city is by acing a hole or throwing 500+ ft drives

There's a lot of that in my area (southern ME and NH) if you go by course par. I've had shots at what would be considered an Albatross on some holes just because the par was so relaxed. On the plus side though, it's beginner friendly and it's really only the final score that matters anyway, not how far below Par you are.

This is your first year and you are saying you've gotten a -7 and an eagle is possible for you? The pars on your course must be totally out of whack.

This.
Sounds like 300' par 4's.

after reading the course info, it has listed 6 par 4 holes....all were shorter than 500'...from the long tees, short tees longest par 4 is 325'......
12 & 13 are 146' & 167' par 4's from the short tees....

You should play all of the holes as Par 3 (especially from the short tees)....

after reading the course info, it has listed 6 par 4 holes....all were shorter than 500'...from the long tees, short tees longest par 4 is 325'......

Keep in mind that this is a heavily wooded course. So the long holes are not big open bombs, but long technical shots with a lot of tree-hit potential. The par 4s really are more like 3.5s, if you hit the line just right with power you have a chance at the two, but most players will hit trees that leave them scrambling for a three and likely settling for a four.

Don't let the distances fool you, a 60 on this course is respectible, and a 71 is definitely a solid score for a beginner.

If you're talking about Bellamy, most people play them all as 3s and take regular 4s and 5s on those holes. 12 and 13 don't actually have short tees. 12 has a nice sized river along the immediate left and requires precise aim off the tee to not go bouncing off the trees into the river. 13 is deuce-able, but just as easy to 5 as there's a LOT of early trouble. Both holes are pictured in the short positions where they normally are for winter. Currently they are about 50ft. longer than pictured in the long positions. The course itself is very heavily wooded and requires either high levels of skill or moderate skill and an intimate knowledge of the available lines to par. Come on up to NH and I'll show you!:)

BTW - that's me in the creepy black gloves and white shirt in some of the photos!

Last edited:

Great name Tmart. My courses are like yours. The only eagle I ever had was an ace and I've never thrown a subpar round in the Pacific Northwest. Then my first round at George Wilson Park in South Bend, IN I told that to my friends and they said "Maybe today's your day." I didn't believe them. -1 through 9 and I was feeling good... Then I hit three straight eagles on the back 9. Why? Because they consider a 250' hole across a small hollow a par 5! I should have deuced it. The next two holes took great drives to eagle, but still. A great drive by a crappy am should set up birdie or par, NOT eagle.