• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little rant about boutique (rare) discs

Wonder if their pros get the chance to own the die after its finished production? Just so they can go back and get fresh plastic after discontinuation...

I just read this whole thread. I invest in plastic and have sold my collection 4 times, only to rebuild it and sell it again. Ive made thousands off of it. Im not bragging, just making the point that if your smart enough to know what your buying, investing in plastic is smart..and profitable.

BTW, I buy plastic and I pay good money for it.

Iron Lion DGS said:
I just read this whole thread. I invest in plastic and have sold my collection 4 times, only to rebuild it and sell it again. Ive made thousands off of it. Im not bragging, just making the point that if your smart enough to know what your buying, investing in plastic is smart..and profitable.

are you sure you read the thread? Because Blake says that investing in plastic can be be profitable, he just also says that if you are an ordinary amateur looking to replace a disc you play with that costs 50$+ its not worth it, because you can easily find something else that is cheaper and you will be able to play just as well with it.

rehder said:
Iron Lion DGS said:

are you sure you read the thread? Because Blake says that investing in plastic can be be profitable, he just also says that if you are an ordinary amateur looking to replace a disc you play with that costs 50$+ its not worth it, because you can easily find something else that is cheaper and you will be able to play just as well with it.

Yeah. He is correct, though I dont think thats as big a problem now as it was then. It wasnt really Blake Ts comments I was referring to. I have never had someone come into the shop as a new player and ask for CE plastic, but it is alot of those new players that buy alot of the old plastic, mainly because they see what disc turnover on Ebay can do for them. Ive been selling discs for almost 9 years and am starting our 4th year in the Shop. In that time, Ive turned alot of players into collectors.

I disagree with some of what was said. Some of the older CE discs have never been replicated in terms of durability and length of sweet spot. Newer plastic does beat up faster than CE ever did. The first Z plastic to come out I think is still pretty close to whats out there now, but with Innova, I disagree.

So now it's 2011...how many people bought their 10+ and are ready to sell it on ebay? lol. I just got a kick out of the fact that the date he picked arbitrarily in the future is here. I personally would never buy old plastic. I don't think plastic makes nearly enough difference to spend the money on, especially now with how good the discs are as a whole. I'm a pretty new player (last two years) so I don't have the nostalgia factor or anything, but you won't ever see me paying a lot of money for something meant to be thrown around trees (or directly into in some cases) :p

I'm by no means a collector, but I started playing in the early 2000s and am used to candy and the early pearly champ plastic. I personally prefer the grip and durability of the pearly stuff, and you always hear the phrase throw what you know. This is what I'm familiar with, so this is what I prefer. I agree that you can probably find something comparable for cheaper and more readily available, and I know disc golf is more mental than anything else. I used to play baseball growing up, and baseball players are extremely supersticious with disc golfers maybe being even worse. Realistically there may not be a ton of difference between a boutique disc and something you buy off the shelf now, but everybody has had at least one disc they've lost and thought they'd never be able to replace. If all discs were the same this wouldn't be the case. Plus I think hunting for the deal or the thrill of the trade holds some value, I just outright like swapping plastic and talking discs with other people. Looking for what I prefer to throw fulfills 2 needs at the same time.

Blake, how funny a thread you wrote in 2006 is so appropriate today, with all the Roc3 and Prodigy madness ensuing or about to ensue.

Latest posts