• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little rant about boutique (rare) discs

Nothing like reviving an old thread...

Dave Wiggins, Jr. (the 11 year old who lost the 2001 CE Roc) shot a 1020 rated round this past weekend at the Sneaky Pete A-Tier down in North Carolina. The kid's got game.

bigs348 said:

Dave Wiggins, Jr. (the 11 year old who lost the 2001 CE Roc) shot a 1020 rated round this past weekend at the Sneaky Pete A-Tier down in North Carolina. The kid's got game.

Jesus Christ. That is game...

didihitatree said:
They're just toys, know what I mean? You get older and the toys change and get more expensive, but it can't be all investing and college funds and thinking about the future. If you only get enjoyment out of being completely awesome at disc golf and you think a $100 disc is going to do miracles, then you have a problem. But if you just like having cool discs or whatever, and you really enjoy throwing them around then it's never a bad purchase.

man, great post. i used to have a serious music gear/ebay habit when i first got into tech work and had all this money lying around suddenly. years later, 90% of it is gone, but now my ebay habit is ramping back up again. $10 here and there feels a lot better than $300-$1000 here and there.

Furthur said:
bigs348 said:

Jesus Christ. That is game...

wow. amazing. I feel like a loser... :D

any recent news with this kid?
I'm glad I live in New England.

bogies are free said:
wow. amazing. I feel like a loser... :D

any recent news with this kid?
I'm glad I live in New England.

He's on the "Scout Team" for Innova now. I think he recently set another distance record for his age group (480-some feet I believe) too.

bigs348 said:

The only question is "how old will he be he wins Pro Worlds in the Open division for the first time?"

OK, maybe there are other questions about David Wiggins Jr. too...
-How many distance records will he set?
-How many Pro Open World Championships will he win?
-When will he win his first USDGC?

Aw man, if you'd have let it go just a month longer it'd have been a year since anyone posted in this thread! Way to get impatient!

David Wiggins Jr. threw a 175m (574 feet) bomb today at the Big D in the Desert. 8)

Wow. Holy freakin' wow. And I'm from NC, have seen Little Dave throw, and had my butt handed to me by him in tourneys more than once (his 1020's at Sneeky Pete were on my home course, yes that was just one of the times he's whooped me). I hear he's playing pro at the Renny Clash this year. For those that don't know, thats's our state USDGC qualifier. Will he win? Probably not. Will he qualify? I wouldn't put it past him but wouldn't guarantee it either. Will he put on one hell of a show? You better believe it.

Rare discs look good on the wall and may help lower your scores. I prefer throwing fly dye for the colors and collecting old discs that
A: catch my eye with a cool stamp or
B: I think I can sell for a small profit.
I have 500 fly dyes and some unusual older discs you can view/purchase/ make trade offers (see website below). I am unfortunately a habitual golf disc collector and have many boxes full of discs that I just want to keep....this stash rarely sees the light of day and includes tournament stamps of places I've been...3 discs (CE Valks) from Players Packages at the first USDGC, Climo 3-12 Time World Champion stamps with his autograph, most of the Champion Rocs that exist and on and on...I look at it in the light of ball golf....50 years from now they might have real value but now they are just cool to have...I might post pics if interest is shown...let me know if you want to see 'em...
z

http://www.DiscGolfFlyMart.com

> who doesn't like seeing cool stamps and tasty rare stuff?
who doesn't like seeing cool stamps and tasty rare stuff?
<

Me. :|

stoneman said:
<
then have i got the disc for you!!

min-orc-dx.jpg

the stamp sucks ass, the mold/plastic combo sucks ass, and it's not rare at all! :lol: :lol:
glad i could help ;)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I love dx Orcs. They beat up into a nice flippy disc, they go for ever, and they're great rollers.

And the stamp is totally pimp.

I haven't seen this thread before, but I'll throw out a comment.

I have a buddy that did just what Blake said, and back around 2000-2003 he bought multiples of all the discs hew threw and liked. He still throws them to this day, and has plenty of backups. The majority of his bag consists of CE Valkyries in various stages of wear, JK Pro Valkyries, CE Firebirds, 2003 USDGC big bird Rocs, Cobras, and first run Omegas. About a year ago he went through a tough time with his job and sold a lot of his CE plastic which helped him pay the bills AND paid for a cruise for him and his fiance. He still has enough left over to continue throwing the discs he loves.

Ted Damson said:
stoneman said:
<
then have i got the disc for you!!

min-orc-dx.jpg

the stamp sucks ass, the mold/plastic combo sucks ass, and it's not rare at all! :lol: :lol:
glad i could help ;)

Nice, and it's white too! Suprised it wasn't beat. :lol:

Latest posts