• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A little trip around the Carolinas and Georgia - Asking for suggestions!

walde

Birdie Member
Hi, lads!
The time is soon for me and three of my friends to head across the pond for a two-week vacation, including loads of frisbee action! Our flight will be to Charlotte, from where we will rent an RV which will serve us in our transportation, accommodation, and cooking needs.
We haven't made a strict plan or anything but initially, I think we will discover courses around Charlotte, like Nevin and Renaissance. Can anyone tell me what's up with Hornet's Nest these days? I remember reading (it's been a while, though) something about it going under construction of some sort.
From Charlotte we will be heading to Rock Hill and at some point we want to end up at the International Disc Golf Center in GA and eventually we need to get back to Charlotte.

Everything else is still open and I would like to reach out to people knowing the area and ask for any recommendations, be it awesome disc golf courses (this, especially), fairs, concerts, national parks, amazing roadside cafés, historical sites, anything. Oh, and if there are some good breweries around that are worth visiting that would be great as well!

The weather seems to be holding up nicely, seems quite a bit warmer than here in northern Europe!
Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :clap:

My brother and I have a private course (Stoney Hill), that's more or less between Charlotte and the IDGC. We'd love for you to visit, if we can work out the logistics, and you can park and camp on the course.

Though the logistics are a little tricky for us right now, which is why the "when?" comes into play.

You'll get a couple of thousand recommendations, half of which will be conflicting suggestions for Charlotte alone, and many of the rest involving lots of road time. Being right here in the middle of your tour, my routing suggestion would go something like----

Plenty of Charlotte, Renny and Nevin and any selection of the rest. If you're in the area on one of the weekends, check out Camp Canaan (Rock Hill), which is terrific but has tight scheduling.

West to the Upstate of South Carolina (Northwest corner, the Greenville-Spartanburg area). There is a cluster of fine courses there.

Either southeast to Stoney Hill, or west to Lake Russell, and then on to Augusta, which has more than just the IDGC.

(Or the reverse---Charlotte to Augusta to Stoney Hill/Lake Russell to Upstate to Charlotte)

Oh, that might be a helpful little info I forgot to add. 20.10.-04.11. !

Thank you very much for the suggestions so far! Right now I have to go but I'll get back to the thread!

Last edited:
The absolutely perfect time of year to visit this area.

If you choose to visit Stoney Hill, here are the logistics to bear in mind:

It's only open when we're there.

We have a team-play tournament October 29-30. Which means we'll be there Friday (Oct. 28), and perhaps one or two days earlier in the week, preparing. But probably can't make it during the following week, until the weekend.

The general rule is that you need a guide the first time or two, in part because there are two overlapping and somewhat confusing layouts, but in a pinch I can meet with you, give you a map and instructions, and you'll be fine. Or, with people practicing for the tournament, I'm sure we could find a guide if you want.

You could also pay around the tournament--early mornings, or late afternoons---though it might limit you to one or the other layouts, as the course is set up.

Things to keep in mind. It'll be next week before we're a little firmer on our schedule.

And if you don't want to play Stoney Hill, you can ignore all that.

As an alternative, head NW out of Charlotte to the North Carolina Mountains. Play Ashe County, and Sugaree and/or Blackjack if you can arrange it, then cruise down the Blue Ridge Parkway in the RV. It's a long scenic parkway that follows the ridge-tops, with great views.

More driving, but those courses are terrific, as is the scenery.

Everything else is still open and I would like to reach out to people knowing the area and ask for any recommendations, be it awesome disc golf courses (this, especially), fairs, concerts, national parks, amazing roadside cafés, historical sites, anything. Oh, and if there are some good breweries around that are worth visiting that would be great as well!

The South Carolina State Fair is in Columbia, SC this weekend.

The IDGC is a great play, and you can do all three in one day if you push yourself. Also in the area Pendleton King is pretty good(probably not as good as the reviews though), and Langley Pong is supposed to be really nice. Hippodrome is also pretty fun.

If you make it deeper in to GA, there are several in the Atlanta area that are great, but it seems like the extra 2-3 hours driving might be a bit much.

The IDGC is a great play, and you can do all three in one day if you push yourself. Also in the area Pendleton King is pretty good(probably not as good as the reviews though), and Langley Pong is supposed to be really nice. Hippodrome is also pretty fun.

Langley Pond is excellent, generally in the same category as IDGC in style and challenge. Definitely something to check out when around Augusta.

While the 3 IDGC courses can be played in 1 day....it would be wise to set aside more time to savor it.

I'm a big fan of Robbins, RL Smith and Nevin in Charlotte. Bradford is worth the trip too. I haven't been there but Another Round Disc Golf seems like a good place to take a break. See if you can run into bravethrower aka Pat, he's one of the coolest cats around down there.

Cheers.

DavidSauls;3086814 While the 3 IDGC courses [I said:
can[/I] be played in 1 day....it would be wise to set aside more time to savor it.

If you can savor Jackson your a better person than I am!

Those three courses are all great, but Steady was the only one I really thought was super interesting. With more water, elevation and oddities than they other two.

I love Jackson---and I'm a declining, 270'-driving, 880-rated old guy.

But I can't savor it, and any other course, in the same day.

I shot great at WR Jackson, and I'm a declining 265' driving Adv Grd Master guy. All 3 courses at IDGC are great but Warner is the hardest and kicked my ass even from the short tees. Play the long tees on the Steady Ed course, wish I did.

My charlotte favorites are RL Smith, Renaissance, Nevin, Robbins- tons of other great courses- just outside of town on the south side, Dry Creek is pretty awesome too

Grand Central Station is our best local course, near Clemson, SC (exit 19 off of I-85) Long holes, lots of variety, Island green ,etc