• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] A Pure for Every Distance?

This is true. A lot of people are suggesting things like Buzzzes and Leopards, which I recommend buying anyway because they are great discs, and as a beginner you should try them out just as a barometer to tell what types of discs you like.

HOWEVER, they don't fly like neutral putters. I would recommend starting with a SLOW (speed 4) mid, which should fly more like a fast putter than a slow driver. The Mako fits this description to a T. I would also recommend a Comet in maybe BigZ plastic, around 170g.

Throwing a faster disc like a leopard, or even a buzzz really, on a straight line like a pure is a completely different feat that requires a set of skills/abilities that you're still working on. Again, I recommend both of these discs even to a novice, but they won't fly neutral out of the box.

A River will not gain you anything over a DX Leo/DX Teebird combo. Leo will have more turn, Teebird will get all the same distance but with a straighter line. If this isn't the case yet you aren't throwing them hard enough. The DX Sidewinder is likely in the class of the longest disc you can throw, unless yours is too light/squirrelly to be consistent. I have never thrown one in the 150's like you have. The only thing the River would gain you is a disc in premium plastic that is kind of a combo of the Leo/Teebird you currently have.

A Dx Roc was the disc that taught me how to throw straight line drives on a rope with a fade at the end of the flight. I stuck with that until I could do it consistently. Then I moved up to a star Teebird. A beat up Dx Roc was the disc that taught me how to throw a straight line drive on a rope with no fade at the end. But it only took me like playing for 7 years for me to figure that one out...haha.

Star leopard for drives. Mako 3 for mid range duties. I would try to find 165-170s.

Pro Leopard would be a more forgiving disc.

What advantages would the Star Leopard, Pro Leopard, or even the Leopard3 (that some have mentioned) give me over my 167g DX Leopard? And do any of those feel different in the hand than my DX Leopard?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

TripleB

Last edited:
What advantages would the Star Leopard, Pro Leopard, or even the Leopard3 (that some have mentioned) give me over my 167g DX Leopard? And do any of those feel different in the hand than my DX Leopard?

TripleB

They will be close in stability/flight to your DX Teebird, but in a more durable plastic.

The first fairway I bought was a 171g Pro Leo. It was not understable for me, it was very straight at 280-310' that I was throwing at the time. I weighed it and it was actually 174g, not a big deal but it surprised me at the time. When the Leo got a bit more turn in it because of wear and me throwing harder, I got a DX Teebird in the 160's. I went lighter because I expected it to be inherently more overstable than the Leo I was used to. It was basically identical in stability, and showed a hint of turn even from the start.

I think you would find the Star/Champ Leo/3 type of discs very similar to your DX Teebird. They will definitely fade more aggressively than your DX Leo. They are good discs, but all it will gain you is a fairway driver in that stability range but in premium plastic. Which is not a bad thing at all, but the DX Leo will fly farther for you unless you are throwing flex shots.

TripleB

Increased durability and a slower break in time. The feel in the hand may be slightly different because of the different feel of the plastic and however they mold up. Best way to know is to go to a shop that has them and feel them up. Personally, I have never really enjoyed the feel of the Dx Leopards I don't know why I just haven't. I much prefer the feel of the Pro Plastic for that mold. It has just the right amount of tack and give.

I would run with a MD2 for your mid if you are looking for a neutral mid. It handles the wind great and flies buttery straight.

I will discount the comment above that a the LEO/Tbird/River comparison. The river is going to glide farther.... this can be a great thing or a disaster. But you will not have the same distance with a Tbird as compared to a river.

I throw a worn in star Teebird every bit as far as a River, and a DX Teebird was going farther. For someone throwing sub 300' that may not be true. Keep in mind he has a DX Teebird, if it was any other plastic I would definitely agree that the Teebird would not fly as far for a newer player.

Definitely going to get another Pure in the Opto plastic...since the 174g is flying so well for me in the Zero Medium I'm going to stick with that weight in the Opto!!!

As far as the Mako3: what plastic (Champion/G-Star/Star) do you recommend and in what weight? Lighter than my putters?

As far as a fairway driver many are recommending the Leo3, but since I've lost confidence some in my Leopard I'm thinking of giving the River (in Opto or Gold Line) a shot.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

TripleB

I love the River. My moonshine River is awesome for straight to turnover throws. Great glide, as well.

I have Mako3s in Star and Champion plastics, and weights in the high 160s and 175g. The weight will be whatever works best for you and your uses of it (in general, I use the heavier ones for straighter shots, and lighter ones for easy turnovers).

If you think you must have a fairway, then other options to the Leopard & Warship include G- or S-series FD (Discmania), Timberwolf (Daredevil), or the Ptero (Reptilian's version of the Timberwolf).

TripleB

The star breaks in slower than a pro and way slower than the dx. Once you find the sweet spot it will stay there for a long time. I bag two, a 171 and 175. The 175 i can put a little bit more on for good distance. The 171 i use to shape shots. Star is my favorite grip. I found i was turning the leopard3 over too much.

Is there a disc (putter or mid) that behaves like the Latitude 64 Pure Opto but comes in 178 to 180 gram weight?

I've got my bag set except I would like a "utility disc" that behaves like the Pure but in a higher weight (the heaviest disc I'm carrying is 173g and would like to have something heavier for that stop where it drops, ain't rolling nowhere, type shots).

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

Is there a disc (putter or mid) that behaves like the Latitude 64 Pure Opto but comes in 178 to 180 gram weight?

I've got my bag set except I would like a "utility disc" that behaves like the Pure but in a higher weight (the heaviest disc I'm carrying is 173g and would like to have something heavier for that stop where it drops, ain't rolling nowhere, type shots).

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

whats wrong with the pure for those shots? You want something thats exactly the same but 5-7 grams heavier? If you must then get another pure

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

A few more grams won't make as much of a difference as learning to throw the correct disc at the correct angle/speed/trajectory. Match your disc's landing angle appropriately to the terrain and it will settle down. Especially with putters, you can make them glide and float down to a landing spot. Max weight discs can still roll away if they catch an edge.

Keep throwing and learning what your discs can do. If you wanna buy discs, buy extras of your core molds for fieldwork/backups. Or save up for a trip for you and your son to one of the major disc golf events.

whats wrong with the pure for those shots? You want something thats exactly the same but 5-7 grams heavier? If you must then get another pure

Thanks!

It's just that in reading many comments here about discs, I see people talking about 176g to 180g disc and how useful they are on approaches because of how they stick. Then I look at my bag with nothing over 173g and I'm thinking I might need something heavier to use as a "utility disc" when approaching the target.

I appreciate the honesty!!!

TripleB

The thing about it is, a disc won't teach you do that. You just need to take your Pure out to a field and learn that angle to make it do what you need to.

More weight won't automatically make it sit like that. A slight nose up angle on a tiny anyhyzer can do it but otherwise it's just learning that.

Thanks!

It's just that in reading many comments here about discs, I see people talking about 176g to 180g disc and how useful they are on approaches because of how they stick. Then I look at my bag with nothing over 173g and I'm thinking I might need something heavier to use as a "utility disc" when approaching the target.

I appreciate the honesty!!!

TripleB

Weight can make a difference under certain conditions, but it isn't the big deal some make it out to be. Check out videos of the Japan Open and you'll see that playing with 150 class discs looks just like "regular" disc golf.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

I hear the Practice by Stop Buying Discs And Work On Your Abilities is great for that shot.

Latest posts