• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] A Pure for Every Distance?

TripleB

Eagle Member
I went out for my 2nd round of disc golf (well I played 42 holes the first time I went out so I guess this is really my 3rd round) today with the idea of trying to stick with four disc: Leopard DX 167g, Shark DX 174g, and Pure Zero Mid 174....and possibly the Shark DX 174g if need be.

The first ten holes (we only got to play 15) were a horrible display of inconsistency...with the culmination being a 7 on a hole after hitting 4 trees on the same hole :\

After dropping about a 30 foot putt between two trees with the Latitude 64 Pure I decided to only use that disc for the rest of the day...couldn't get any worse right?

My next drive, with the Pure, went straight down the middle of the fairway. Not far but no trees and straight. Threw my approach to about 15 foot and sunk the putt. Next drive was straight but I pulled it just a little and ended up behind a tree...ended up making a bogey 4. The following hole was a textbook par...about 175 foot drive, 100 foot approach, 20 foot putt. The next hole was another perfect drive (well, short but straight)...threw a nice approach but hit a root and rolled about 35 feet away. Sunk it for the par. Last hole we played was a 247' really downhill hole...threw the Pure to 15 feet and sunk the putt for a birdie. So the last five holes I finished even (using a Pure for every shot)...for the 3rd round out I will definitely take that.

The problem is I never really felt like I had a birdie putt (except the last hole) that was possible to make because the Pure off the tee left me pretty short each time - I'm guessing my average drive with it was only about 180' with a smooth controlled throw. Pars are great (and a lot better than I would have ever imagined when just starting to play) but I'd really like to have some reasonable birdie putts from time to time. If I could just get a Pure that went the length of a midrange and a Pure that went the length of a fairway driver. :D

So I'm wondering, is there is a midrange and a fairway driver that play very similar to the Pure putter? Maybe a pair of Latitude 64 disc (the Zero Medium plastic feels great, although due to a hitting a tree or two during my first round it looks a little out of shape now)?

Thanks for any disc advice you can give!!!

As a side note: my 10 year old, non athletic, son went out with me today and he loves the game. He didn't play every hole but threw my 152g Sidewinder on a number of holes and by the end of the day he was throwing it straight, about 80', and in the middle of the fairway. He actually made a 6 on a hole all by himself (proud dad moment)!!! He even asked if I would order him a putter. I could let him use one of mine but I think it would get him more excited about playing if he had his own (and got to choose the color). Should I stay in the under 160g weight for his putter? Thanks!

TripleB

btw: I apologize for another post about disc, but I was so enthralled with my play on those last 5 holes that I'd love to find a trio of disc that fly like the Pure for me

Last edited:
At your distance, maybe look into something like a Mako3 at like mid 170's. Should show a bit of fade but will be high speed stable enough to not turn. Definitely a straight disc. If you're liking Latitude plastic, maybe look into an Opto Fuse at max weight. That may fit the bill as well.

There are "Pures" in every disc classification, and they'll change as your form improves/distance grows. If it were me today talking to me learning BH I'd say to save my money and keep working with the Pure.

Since it's not me, I'd look at the Innova Mako or Atlas for a mid and Innova's Pro Leopard for a driver.

Get another pure. You're going to beat that one in quickly. Maybe get one in opto plastic so it lasts. I just bagged an opto pure myself, and it's awesome.

For mids, I get laser beam straight flight from a DX Roc3 that goes just a little further than a pure. A regular DX Roc should be the same. I just personally prefer the flat top on the Roc3. Premium plastic has a hint of fade at the end for me. The Mako would also be a good suggestion, as would a discmania md1. A friend of mine used to throw a panther for his laser straight mids.

Much faster, and anything will probably have some turn and/or fade. A DX teebird with a little wear or a leopard would probably be your best bet. I don't think anything faster will fly a laser straight line until you get more armspeed than 90% of disc golfers.

Mako3, Fuse, Atlas, Panther, Buzzz SS, Comet for mids

S-FD, Pro Leopard, Frost River, Star Leo3, for fairway drivers

At your distance, maybe look into something like a Mako3 at like mid 170's. Should show a bit of fade but will be high speed stable enough to not turn. Definitely a straight disc. If you're liking Latitude plastic, maybe look into an Opto Fuse at max weight. That may fit the bill as well.

Thank you very much for the advice!

I had looked at a Mako3 but several reviews said it was similar to the Buzzz SS...I have one of those and have had horrible throws with it so no confidence there.

I was looking at the Fuse or the Core in the Lat 64...the Core flight seems most similar to my Pure but the Fuse is available in a wider variety of weights.

Get another pure. You're going to beat that one in quickly. Maybe get one in opto plastic so it lasts. I just bagged an opto pure myself, and it's awesome.

For mids, I get laser beam straight flight from a DX Roc3 that goes just a little further than a pure. A regular DX Roc should be the same. I just personally prefer the flat top on the Roc3. Premium plastic has a hint of fade at the end for me. The Mako would also be a good suggestion, as would a discmania md1. A friend of mine used to throw a panther for his laser straight mids.

Much faster, and anything will probably have some turn and/or fade. A DX teebird with a little wear or a leopard would probably be your best bet. I don't think anything faster will fly a laser straight line until you get more armspeed than 90% of disc golfers.

Absolutely love my Pure from everywhere on the course!!!

With the 0/3 ratings I was afraid the Roc3 and Roc wouldn't fly as the straight as the Pure for me. I've got a DX Teebird but I can't get it to fly nearly as straight as my Pure...much further left finish.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

In trying to find mids and fairways from Lat 64 with similar numbers as my Pure I find: Core/Fuse/Compass and River/Fury/Maul.

TripleB

I bag 3 Pures. One Opto, one hard, one soft. I just picked up the Opto line for straight approach shots and love love it. For longer shots, I've trusted my comet and beat elite z buzzz. Fairways and distance drivers stall out for me at 300 feet and i obsess over getting over that hump.

Buying new plastic is so satisfying I'd hate to recommend depriving you of the pleasure but to tbirds point, it's prudent and thrifty to just iron out form with the pure.

Mako3, Fuse, Buzzz SS, Comet for mids

That Mako3 line is about as straight as you can get...that's definitely the leader as far as a Mid. Have the Buzzz SS and it's the only disc I can't stand...not sure if it's the rim size/shape or the plastic but that disc never leaves my hand on a good line.

Actually have a 165g Z-Line Comet arriving Saturday so hopefully that will be the one. If not maybe the Mako3.

Thanks for the input!

I bag 3 Pures. One Opto, one hard, one soft. I just picked up the Opto line for straight approach shots and love love it. For longer shots, I've trusted my comet and beat elite z buzzz.

Sweet...I absolutely love my Pure!

Thanks for all the help!

Really like the "expected" flights of the Mako3 and the River!!!

TripleB

Get an Opto Pure for throwing. It will last longer. I also like how it feels in the hand, but that's just me.

I heard the word in a post above: Panther.

For driver, a Champion Leopard3, a Star TL, or an S-line FD might do ya.

Wait on the Comet arriving and see where you're at, I think you'll like it. It should be familiar to throw compared with your Shark, and have a ton of glide. Should be very straight. As you gain more power and sort out consistent form I think you'll get to see some good shots out of the Buzzz SS still, so take it out every once in a while.

If you love the Pure then as others have said a Pure in Opto can be a good idea as a throwing putter that won't gouge/ding up quickly.

Your DX Leo/Teebird combo is the best there is for the straight fairway shots. As you throw harder the Leo will turn more and the Teebird will be straighter. Eventually as it beats in and you throw harder still, the Teebird will turn too much to be considered dead straight. This will likely be at 350' or more though. There really aren't better options in that speed 6/7 range for most players, unless these get too beat up and/or you want to move to premium plastic...then you may have to look at a different mold to balance out the stability influence of premium plastic.

I feel like you need to be throwing fairways a minimum of 250', likely 280' or more to be able to get a true dead straight shot out of them. Just going to that rim shape/width means they will fade to an extent at shorter ranges.

TripleB, I think what you want is an ESP Buzzz at about 172g. That will be your driver for a while. It will be longer than your Pure and it will fade more until it beats in some and you start throwing harder. It will be board flat like your Zero medium Pure and provide a great grip.

I would seriously stick to that for now. Glad to hear you're making some good progress with the Pure! A 150 foot dead straight shot with a Pure is a thing of beauty. Opto Pures are really nice too. Don't worry about your medium getting beat up a bit. Just work it back into shape with your hands. It's not gonna get super flippy on you anytime soon. Just keeping working on that straight shot! It's the hardest shot in disc golf.

I use the Westside Warship for the longer-than-putter straight shot; Flies fairway driver far with putter power. Mid 170's VIP for some fade and high 160's TP for lasers...

Stick with the Pure. If you are getting 175' feet with it, there is a lot of room for growth (around 75' or more.) That 247' downhill hole that you got within 15' with the Pure? You should set a goal to be able to duplicate that on a 247' flat ground hole. Keep on playing rounds with only putters. Take your time and really find out all that can be done with a putter. If you like the Pure, invest in an Opto Pure. It will be a great straight flyer that should last a long time.

See what you can do with the Comet when you get it. As with the Pure, take your time and really learn the disc.

Give the Discraft Mantis a try.

See what you can do with the Comet when you get it. As with the Pure, take your time and really learn the disc.

If it were me today talking to me learning BH I'd say to save my money and keep working with the Pure.

Getting more discs won't help you as much as using the ones you have more. Actually, more discs will slow down getting to know the discs you have. You already experienced the effect of using one discs a whole lot for a variety of shots. (The Pure, to a large part, works for you well because you know it well.) The more different discs you have, the less you will know each of them.

You've probably read the ``It's the archer, not the arrow!'' saying. Work on the archer! The arrows you have are already fine. You have good ones for your stage of development. There's no need to add more ... motivated by a wish for some magic. You won't find magic in these new discs, but you'll find improvement when practicing more with what you have.

(I know that getting new discs is fun ... and we all like to have fun, and that's fine ... but for getting better you don't need further discs within the next months.)

Star leopard for drives. Mako 3 for mid range duties. I would try to find 165-170s. As you gain distance add a champ Teebird and another slightly over stable mid.

An X Comet would be perfect for a mid.

If the DX Leopard is fading out too much to use for straight shots, that means you won't find a fairway driver that fades less. It's as understable as fairway drivers get. Stick with the Leopard or mids/putters until you can throw the Leopard straight.

If the problem is that the Leopard is turning too much, either learn to hyzerflip it or there are a bunch of options for something slightly less understable. Based on what I've thrown in the past, a Pro Leopard or GStar FD are good options.

At your distance, maybe look into something like a Mako3 at like mid 170's.

Get an Opto Pure for throwing. It will last longer. I also like how it feels in the hand, but that's just me.

Definitely going to get another Pure in the Opto plastic...since the 174g is flying so well for me in the Zero Medium I'm going to stick with that weight in the Opto!!!

As far as the Mako3: what plastic (Champion/G-Star/Star) do you recommend and in what weight? Lighter than my putters?

As far as a fairway driver many are recommending the Leo3, but since I've lost confidence some in my Leopard I'm thinking of giving the River (in Opto or Gold Line) a shot.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

TripleB

Last edited:
One think about the River is that it is notoriously nose angle sensitive. If you don't keep the nose of that disc down.... She's gone!

They are seriously great fliers though but they take some power and a good crisp nose down throw to fly to the numbers.

Pro Leopard would be a more forgiving disc. But as many others have already said, you would do well to stick with the drivers you have for now and focus on learning to throw line drives with your Dx Leopard or a Pro Leopard. Until you can do that, no driver is going to fly the way you want it to. The Fuse is a decent suggestion but honestly, I find the grip to be odd. I like the feeling of the grip of a flat ESP Buzzz, it just feels more intuitive in my hand and inspires more confidence to get the throw out of it that I want.

So the trick is that while there are definitely discs in every category that can fly dead straight lines, you need to throw them fast enough in each category to make that happen. I can make a worked in Roc or a fresh Fuse go dead straight, but that takes throwing them 300+ feet. Similarly, I can make a Star TL go dead straight but I have to throw it 350+. I rarely make any distance driver fly dead straight unless I throw it too low for the fade to kick in, and I can throw a bit over 400 feet. It takes more power than I've got to make most wider rimmed drivers go straight. You don't see those shots even from a lot of pros; distance driver shots nearly always get some fade. The fastest drivers I see a lot of pros throwing really straight are speed 9's like the Thunderbird.

Anyway, my point is that you aren't necessarily going to find any disc faster than a slow mid that you can throw dead straight at your current power level. "Faster" discs do not necessarily fly further (or fly their intended lines) unless you throw them harder. That doesn't mean you shouldn't also experiment with a few faster, understable discs like a Leopard or River or FD. They will probably get you a little more distance, and they will teach you to shape some lines and use the fade to your advantage. Just don't expect those discs to fly by the numbers for you at your current power. As your arm speed gets faster (and the discs beat in), you will see them fly truer and truer to spec.

Latest posts