• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A question for New York state residents

Thanks. Rockburn is usually the closest to the hotel I stay at. I will see if I can hit Giles, Bluemont or Grange on the way back. If I get really lucky I might have time for 2.

I have a question: is Shore Winds open and is it worth the drive from Perry (just southwest of the Genesseo Course) 45 minutes from Rochester

It is open and all baskets are in, I was there yesterday. It's a very nice course worth playing at least once, but you might be better off somewhere closer especially if the weather isn't optimal. It's probably best as part of a multiple-course all-day outing... Shore Winds, Wilson, JD.

I'd put it roughly on par with Beaver Island -- much nicer than Wilson or Evangola, but not awesomesauce like Emery or Chili.

I have a question: is Shore Winds open and is it worth the drive from Perry (just southwest of the Genesseo Course) 45 minutes from Rochester

I drove over an hour to get there today and played the course in a serious downpour. Print a map. No signs or distinguishable tee spots aside from a numbered stick in the ground. Baskets aren't numbered either. Very nice scenery. A lot of birdie holes. A few tough ones. A few wooded holes. A few open air field holes. No where near as nice as Beaver as far as course design goes. (Biased opinion as that is pretty much my home course.) But a fun outing none the less.

A few of the guys I played with today were there when the parks guys were putting in the baskets and they had some good news. The whole parks staff is really excited about having the course there and they are already talking about putting another full 18 hole course somewhere within the park. It'll hands down be worth the drive when they get another course there. Camping grounds there too for an over-nighter.

Make the trip if the weather is nice. Why not ya know?

Thanks, I have so much to do in NY and so little time, I'll let you all know where I decide to go. I will probably meet WillACarpenter over thanksgiving and play a Rochester course also.

I know we are looking at 3 new courses in Rochester before 2011 worlds come and I think 2 of them will be better then anything we have currently.

Ive played only 4 in NY:Warwick, FDR, Joralemon, and Leonard. All are at least 4 discs and I am eager to see what else NY has to offer.

I know we are looking at 3 new courses in Rochester before 2011 worlds come and I think 2 of them will be better then anything we have currently.

seriously? Where? I vote Letchworth State Park, that would be awesome. It would blow Dave242 away with appalacian beauty.

seriously? Where? I vote Letchworth State Park, that would be awesome. It would blow Dave242 away with appalacian beauty.

From the GRDGC newsletter:

Course Plans
* New courses
o Greece Canal Park
o Genesee Valley
o Powder Mill Park

powder mill park is just west of Eastview Mall, which is just on the border of Monroe County...which would be probably the closest course to me.

At least I *think* that's powder mill park..

\/\/

I designed the Powder Mill Park course. When I showed it to other people they believed it would be the best course in Rochester. I believe Par from the long tee's would be high 60's to low 70's.

Genesee Valley Park was used for the 99 Worlds and some of the old school guys really want that course back, it was actually the first course in Rochester.

Greece Canal Park is just a huge, super wet park that the town is looking to utilize I don't think anyone has layed anything out or persued it seriously.

Will, you might be interested in a course in Canandaigua. Someone told me about a peice of land out there we might be able to use, but I haven't contacted anyone about it yet.

We need more courses on the east side of the city, the only one in the area is Ellison. Powder Mill has tons of elevation.. it would make for a pretty nice course.

Victor is kind of far for me, but it will be great for WillACarpenter. I need one at Letchworth.
Byron-Bergen High School would be a great place for a 9 holer with all of their nature trails.

i was there for worlds in 99.

genessee was nice with the exception of a couple poorly designed holes where the shot of choice was over the road- someone got their windshield broken during the tournament.

black creek park seemed like it could house a good course although the one we used for worlds was so-so imo- the sledding hill hole was cool.

Update from our quarterly club meeting last night. GVP looks 90% that we will use at least for a temp course for the worlds and obviously we will push for the course to stay afterwards. Powder Mill will get be pushed for, there is actually little work that needs to be done there in terms of clearing fariways. Greece Canal Park has said they will not allow cement teepads so I don't think we have much interest in that until their opinion changes.

I really want courses down at Letchworth it would be a great place for camping, hiking, and disc golf. That Park could hold 4 amazing courses. There's not really any DG population around Mt. Morris to help push it through and then maintain it afterwards.