• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A retail store that DOESN'T have a crappy disc selection

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Scheels. Huge sports emporium. No clue if they're nationwide or regional. Stopped in there Sunday in Loveland, CO. Very impressive DG selection. Essentially they devote an entire aisle to discs and other gear. They had discs from all the popular manufacturers in all grades of plastic.

They also had a bunch of bags and starter disc sets. I won't say they had as many discs as a shop devoted strictly to DG, but it was still a very impressive lot of discs. Prices weren't very good, but if you want to put your hands on a disc before you buy, this is the place.

Does your Scheels have a ferris wheel, an airplane, a bunch of fish swimming through a glass archway, tons of taxidermy animals, and robot ex presidents all over it? Oh yeah the one I've been to has discs too. But seriously, is that how they all are? I'm 100% serious. That place is amazing.

Does your Scheels have a ferris wheel, an airplane, a bunch of fish swimming through a glass archway, tons of taxidermy animals, and robot ex presidents all over it? Oh yeah the one I've been to has discs too. But seriously, is that how they all are? I'm 100% serious. That place is amazing.

we're getting ours rebuilt in Lincoln, NE, and yes, it will have all that and hopefully twice as many discs! only place I buy locally....

Several local party stores have this kind of inventory around here. Cabela's sounds like a Sheels, but they don't carry many discs.

Hmmm. The Dallas Morning News reported that they are building a 325,000 sq ft Scheels in The Colony, TX. Next to the Nebraska Furniture. When it's completed, it will be nice to check out.

They have a good selection, but overpriced.

I'll stick to cruising the PIAS bins, and the guys like GGGT when I'm in their area.

This one had the ferris wheel and huge fish tanks. Not sure about the other stuff. Very impressive store for sure. I've never seen such a place before.

champion tye dyes at $25?

lol

Yeah, some of the discs weren't priced well. Dyed ones especially. Some of the regular plastic discs seemed more reasonable.

If you're looking for the absolute best deal possible, Scheels probably isn't your place. If you want to have the disc immediately and know what you're buying, it'll work.

Scheels is where I got a discs on sale before because those discs were not moving. Of course now, Lighting is cheaper and I do not use the Mold anymore. I did get an some running gear on sale there once, Ultra running shorts for $35 originally $60 some as they were no longer made an a visor like Nike hat for $9. Running is my other hobby. Do not go to the one in Rapid City South Dakota for Disc Golf they have nothing and for running not much either, like they cater to the Mountain Bikers and Backpackers at the one there and only have the heavy duty trail running or trail racing shoes there. The one in Soux Falls South Dakota recently updated in the 2010's is nice has all sports even a stuff for a few I did not know existed like equipment for Para Boarding. One with the small para sail and the board is strapped to feet.

The Billings, MT Scheels is a mega Scheels. Fun to wander and they have a solid selection but their disc prices are gawd awful. I haven't purchased a disc from them since they moved from their smaller mall location to mega store.

They have a good selection, but overpriced.
And in my experience, their knowledge of the various plastic lines and prices that should go along with them, are suspect. I've seen base and mid-grade plastics with premium price tags more than once.

And in my experience, their knowledge of the various plastic lines and prices that should go along with them, are suspect. I've seen base and mid-grade plastics with premium price tags more than once.

I usually thumb through just to see if the opposite happens. Unfortunately hasn't on a disc I want.

My mother-in-law retired from Scheels. She started when it was still, literally, just a hardware store. They are based out of Fargo, ND and until 6-8 years ago were only in WI, MN, IA, NE, SD, ND and I think one odd-ball store in CO or ID or maybe UT. They are expanding at a considerable rate and and definitely have the Cabela's vibe. The first 15 discs I owned came from a Scheels in Sioux City IA that at that time only had one 9-hole course yet had at least 600 discs in stock. They handwrote the prices on the discs with a sharpie. I doubt they do that anymore.

Our local Scheels store is very high priced on plastic and the last time I was there they had a lot of drivers but hardly any putters.

Academy is the only one in my area that is OK and carries multiple manufacturers, but still terrible compared to Play it Again or any designated disc shop of course.

Academy is the only one in my area that is OK and carries multiple manufacturers, but still terrible compared to Play it Again or any designated disc shop of course.

Same. I know the owners of our local sports/rec equipment store, but i don't know if they're big enough to stock discs without it being too risky. Or if it's popular enough here.

Latest posts