• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Sat/Sun in Kansas City

PMantle

* Ace Member *
OK, so plan my trip. I will have Sat/Sun for sure at the end of September this year. May have some time Friday evening, but that's not for sure. Would rather quality over quantity. Prefer long/open to short/tech but not by much. Oh, and beer.

If you want long and open, you must play Blue Valley (On the Missouri side). It's a monster. Lots of elevation too. I would also recommend Wyandotte County Park for long and open. Water Works is also a great course and a favorite of many. My personal favorite is Kessler Park(Cliff Drive). It has 9 wooded/tech holes and 9 open.

As for beer, Boulevard is the biggest and most popular. There are a ton micro breweries around too. Torn Label and Crane Brewery are big supporters of the DG scene here in town.

would agree with Roc

not sure if you throw Trilogy but if you do you could always go to Rosedale (they have 2 courses on site) Up Top is kind of a bomber and Down Under is technical and wooded

there is a DD store a couple blocks away from there and right next door is Joe's BBQ (a must if going to KC)

would agree with Roc

not sure if you throw Trilogy but if you do you could always go to Rosedale (they have 2 courses on site) Up Top is kind of a bomber and Down Under is technical and wooded

there is a DD store a couple blocks away from there and right next door is Joe's BBQ (a must if going to KC)
I throw almost everything. Disc stores and BBQ are attractive. Thanks!

Blue Valley is difficult to navigate. Even after having watched many tourney rounds on video, I couldn't find my way around it in person. A guide is likely necessary to keep from wandering around lost.

I'd recommend Waterworks, Wyandotte, and Heritage. Wyandotte is the most open of the three, though all provide lots of opportunity to bomb.

Warning: Lake Olathe is torn up for construction. If you'd looked at that as a possible course to play while here, you'll want to drop it from consideration.

And Rosedale is one of the most popular courses, so playing it would be a good thing. Joe's KC BBQ (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) made Anthony Bourdain's list of places to eat before you die. It's just up the street from Rosedale and the DD store is in the strip mall next to it.

Last edited:
Three courses I would recommend if you like airing it out.

1. Wyco is around 8000ft with many holes to let the big dog eat. Only problem with this course is the turf maintenance... only mowed every 3 or 4 weeks. Can be a miserable time when grass is tall.

2. Blue Valley 11,000 ft very open with much elevation and many epic bomber holes. One thing to consider is Blue Valley can be very gruelling course and makes it hard to put into a 2 course a day itinerary. Also the course is located in the hood so daytime rounds are best. .

3. Waterworks- 6000ft semi wooded with much elevation. Not a course to air it out on but makes up for it with many interesting holes. A course loved by many and because of this may be very busy during prime throwing hours.

The KCFDC is one of the best disc golf clubs in the country and the forum is always active with pertinent information. http://kcfdc.org/forum

KC is a great DG destination with many excellent courses and a large DG following... big city traffic sucks but the courses make it worth it. See you in September.

For a fairly open, and really incredible park Blue Valley is a good pick. It's long, and has massive hills. Water Works is also great but very busy on a nice day. Get there early. I like the top course at Rosedale better than Wyandotte County. My other favorite slightly more open in the area are Bad Rock Creek in Liberty, and Heritage in Olathe.

The bottom course at Rosedale has some awesome elevation changes, but it is more short and wooded. Centennial in Lawrence is good, but an hour drive. Whichever courses you select, get screenshots or print maps for sure. Give me a heads up if you want to throw a round or two.

I may have a friend or two flying up to play. If so, variety and most courses in a day will be priority. Sorry to waffle on my requests. Looks like there are numerous great courses in a small area, so I am very excited.

Latest posts