• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About to ditch the high-speed drivers.

lol

So you're saying that if someone sucks at throwing Rocs, and sucks at putting; they should stop trying to throw a Roc and only focus on putting?

Why wouldn't you work on both?

I think your mentality is: if a person can't throw a Roc, they should throw a Cannon.

I think your mentality is: if a person can't throw a Roc, they should throw a Cannon.[/QUOTE

You really think this is what I was saying? Hammer, you may have a reading comprehension problem. Perhaps have someone read my posts to you. Could help.

Cheers

You never answered my question. Do you know what discing down is for?

if you can throw an eagle 400 and you don't like the other stuff, you should be good.

You never answered my question. Do you know what discing down is for?

OK, I play, Hammer. It's like ball golf, where you always want to keep your swing speed constant. On shorter holes, rather than using driver, you use a club that does not send the ball as far so you can keep your swing constant. In DG terms, if a basket is 200 feet away, rather than throwing a Cannon at a fraction of full power, you would want to throw a putter or Roc because those discs can be thrown at closer to full power.

Now your turn. PM me your address so I can send you hooked on phonics. First lesson is due Monday. :D

Discing down is used to have more control over a disc. It is easier to control discs like putters and mids because they are slower and more forgiving.

What you described is not really discing down so much as picking the appropriate disc for the distance.

OK, I play, Hammer. It's like ball golf, where you always want to keep your swing speed constant. On shorter holes, rather than using driver, you use a club that does not send the ball as far so you can keep your swing constant. In DG terms, if a basket is 200 feet away, rather than throwing a Cannon at a fraction of full power, you would want to throw a putter or Roc because those discs can be thrown at closer to full power.

Now your turn. PM me your address so I can send you hooked on phonics. First lesson is due Monday. :D

That's what I thought. You're wrong. Therefore, who are you to tell a person that they are only limiting themselves by throwing slower speed discs?

One of the many reasons for discing down is to improve one's technique. High speed drivers mask flaws in a throwers technique, whereas slower discs don't. Learning to throw a putter, or mid range a long way will give the thrower an improved throwing motion that will translate into more distance and accuracy across the board.

If you accept that you don't know much, you would be surprised by what you can learn.

Last edited:
One of the many reasons for discing down is to improve one's technique. High speed drivers mask flaws in a throwers technique, whereas slower discs don't. Learning to throw a putter, or mid range a long way will give the thrower an improved throwing motion that will translate into more distance and accuracy across the board.
Don't forget the extra control you'll gain and shot options you'll have.

I'll expand a bit on it and say that high speed drivers not only mask, but encourage one major flaw that will wreak havoc on your distance and control. You may be able to push a really fast disc out to 350', but you'll have a heck of a time throwing and controlling putters and mids. Learning with slower discs you'll get to where you can throw fairway drivers 350' and have a lot of control over putters and mids without a whole lot more effort and in about the same amount of time as it took to learn to throw the fast discs that far. Then you'll be able to throw one of those faster discs in the 400' range.

Say that isn't good enough and you want to be one of those guys hitting 450' on distance lines. The timing required to "hit it" properly to achieve that is much easier to get on mids, fairway drivers and putters than it is on faster discs. Nearly everyone who has had to learn that on their own rather than just "getting it" from the start will tell you that.

I wonder if in 10-15 years people will be saying...well in my day the fastest disc was a speed 13. All this speed 17 stuff is too fast and uncontrollable. I'll just stick with my Destroyers and Kings.

Also for those playing in the early 90s, did everyone stick with the slower molds when the "faster" stuff came out? Fast stuff is for noobs and torque monkeys.

I wonder if in 10-15 years people will be saying...well in my day the fastest disc was a speed 13. All this speed 17 stuff is too fast and uncontrollable. I'll just stick with my Destroyers and Kings.

The only problem with that is the size of the rim. For one, right now a disc with any wider of a rim will not get PDGA approval. Also, the width of the fastest drivers are already tough to get a grip on. Just look at the Ninja, it is too wide and too sharp for me to get any distance with. It hurts just to grip it.

IMO, The only speed 17 we will see will just be marketing strategies that aren't truly faster than we have already.

Also for those playing in the early 90s, did everyone stick with the slower molds when the "faster" stuff came out? Fast stuff is for noobs and torque monkeys.

Hell no, faster discs go farther. Duh.

I didn't play back then, but my understanding is that wasn't an issue. It wasn't until the speed 10 drivers came out that OAT became a big issue. You don't need OAT to get those discs to fly right. In fact, OAT makes them fly worse. With speed 10+ discs it's much easier to apply OAT to get them to fly right than it is to get them up to speed. If you look back, the 350' plateau has been around since the speed 6 discs started appearing. Every new speed of discs that come out has just meant that people hit that plateau with the fastest disc. The faster discs haven't increased that plateau for many people. The people that hit that plateau with speed 6 and 7 discs have a ~400' plateau with the faster discs. Learning to throw the slower discs farther does make you throw the faster discs farther, but the opposite probably isn't true unless you have a specific issue (something causing you not to get the nose down enough), which you won't know about unless you try to push the slower discs out as far as you can.

to be fair eighty percent of a year is just over nine and a half months.

Oh, good catch. I forgot that after 9 months you become Captain Badass.

In related news, I've decided I'm going to start putting with a Cannon. It's faster than my Voodoo, so it must be better.

Oh, good catch. I forgot that after 9 months you become Captain Badass.

In related news, I've decided I'm going to start putting with a Cannon. It's faster than my Voodoo, so it must be better.

i hadnt thought of it that way before but it stands to reason that over time players using faster putters will become better than players using slower putters because the faster your putter is the more practice putts you can fit in.

I just turned to speed 10 stuff last year for the first time, was a "fairway driver" guy all the way back to when those were state-of-the-art. Love the Beast...It's the driver I can throw the farthest, but there's no reason for me to venture beyond that, I think. I've tried peoples' Katanas, Destroyers, etc., and I don't believe my soon-to-be master's eligible arm has the speed for those sorts of Discs.

I can do some good things with Sidewinders and my trusty Echostar Roadrunner...

Last edited:
I think you'll find that you could learn a few things from those of us that "over-think this game". You go out and throw your Cannon far and have fun. I'll go out and throw my Teebird further, have fun, and beat you. You would be surprised what you can learn from those that have more experience, if you open your mind.

The OP wants to improve his game, so he is asking for some advice. If you're not interested in that, then why do you take the time to read and chime in?

I have improved my game tremendously. I rarely have to throw out of any rough outside of the fairway. I recently shot -4 at Arboretum (you know, where Mike C. films most of his videos), beating my previous best by 7 strokes. Shot hot rounds at two tournaments placing 4th, and 2nd. Proir to discing down, I wouldn't have even played in a tourney. It would've been embarrassing. The fastest disc in my bag is a Champ Starfire, my go-to "driver" is a Meteor. Just got my first ace in 13 years with it.