• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Accurate Fairway for 300' Thrower

In the OP I stated I have a high 160's opto saint. I was wondering how a high 160's GL saint would compare to a max weight opto river. Can anyone comment on this?

I threw my buddies 174g opto river the other day and it was very close to what I am looking for.

Last edited:
In the OP I stated I have a high 160's opto saint. I was wondering how a high 160's GL saint would compare to a max weight opto river. Can anyone comment on this?

I threw my buddies 174g opto river the other day and it was very close to what I am looking for.

If you're looking at splitting the difference between those discs, consider the DD Thief. I have only thrown the Trilogy Challenge RGL plastic versions, but...

Compared to 170-172 Opto Rivers it is slightly faster, at least as much glide, easier to throw farther for me, but a bit more lateral movement. Compared to the couple of Opto Saints 172/173 I have thrown it is easier to throw at lower power, more lateral movement (Saint is a laser beam, but will fade more if the thrower doesn't get it up to speed), and a better turnover disc at power.

I would call the River 7/6/-1/1, Saint 9/5/-1/1 and Thief in RGL 8/6/-2/2.

It's right in between the power ranges of both of those discs, longer than the River, more forgiving than the River, but it does have more lateral movement than either the Saint or River.

I have not thrown lighter versions of either disc, but since you were kind of splitting hairs between those two models I wanted to offer a disc choice that I felt lived between those two. If I was throwing shorter fairway shots I think the Thief would power down better than the Saint as it has less fade, and I think the HSS -2 I have called it would decrease to a much more moderate turn. Again I have only thrown RGL. I know I called the saint a LSS 1 but that's at ~350' of power, I find it has more fade if thrown at less power...but you have one and know how it acts.

Last edited:
At your power I would recommend the Hatchet. I have 400' of power and I use them for rollers when they beat in, but brand new they have the flight you are describing. I have only thrown VIPs at 171g or heavier, so I feel like a 165-169 TP might be what you are looking for. Another thing I like about them is they have great glide.

A max weight S line fD is a hyzer flip machine. If you're throwing it light it won't have a huge turn, but it just goes lazer straight.

As it beats in it will get straighter; and give you some turn. If you actually want some turn out of the box, try a lighter G river, or a leapord.

A G line FD WILL turn for you.

When you find it, let me know, cuz you know I've tried just about everything in this thread and it still is elusive for me, and really is 99% technique for me. Currently I'm throwing the Patriot. It turns and fades a bit too much, but right now works best on those tunnel shots. If I need something straighter, and its OK to fade a bit, I use my well worn Volt.

I suck at hyzer flips though. I give my Patriot a little hyzer, but I can't get anything to flip to straight and never turn or fade.

Continued...At different points in my quest I have had a DX Teebird dead straight, but it got worn and flipped too much. Tried repeating that a few times, but got tired of the new DX being a little too stable and the old DX flipping, even if part of that was technique, I just couldn't keep it up and looked for an out-of-the-box disc that was straight. Star Tern was a little too stable for me. Maybe I should go down in weight ;)

Also, really liked the Vision for a while, really held a nice line for me (and I got my first Ace with one so you know that kept it in my bag a long time. But you might try it, it is similar to River, but a little more stable, so it might be in between the Saint.

When you find it, let me know, cuz you know I've tried just about everything in this thread and it still is elusive for me, and really is 99% technique for me. Currently I'm throwing the Patriot. It turns and fades a bit too much, but right now works best on those tunnel shots. If I need something straighter, and its OK to fade a bit, I use my well worn Volt.

I suck at hyzer flips though. I give my Patriot a little hyzer, but I can't get anything to flip to straight and never turn or fade.

If you throw the Buzzz, the Stalker would be a natural fairway driver for you I'd think. Have you tried one? What was it like for you?

Jls all the way perfect for dead straight shots and also extremely workable great disc for lower powered players and big arms alike!

A Discraft Glide rarely gets mentioned but its a great accuracy disc. And of course I'll always recommend a 150g Champ or Star Leopard.

At your power I would recommend the Hatchet. I have 400' of power and I use them for rollers when they beat in, but brand new they have the flight you are describing. I have only thrown VIPs at 171g or heavier, so I feel like a 165-169 TP might be what you are looking for. Another thing I like about them is they have great glide.

How would a Hatchet compare to a River in the same plastic and same weight?

How would a Hatchet compare to a River in the same plastic and same weight?

I have only thrown 1 River and it was opto. I was not expecting how stable it was, so I can't really compare the two molds. Sorry. My experience with the Hatchet has shown a pretty consistent mold.

I have only thrown 1 River and it was opto. I was not expecting how stable it was, so I can't really compare the two molds. Sorry. My experience with the Hatchet has shown a pretty consistent mold.

My understanding is that Rivers vary greatly with weight difference. I must have the most flippy flavor of river and the most stable saint... causing this gap that I am trying to fill.

I was out comparing a fresh 171 opto river, a fresh 175 C-FD, and a 172 QJLS that is a little beat in this week for the same gap. Personally I find the river a bit to angle sensitive for me. The QJLS and FD are pretty similar. Both heavier than my usual preference of around 166-168g for fairways. The QJLS is pretty darn straight with a very mild fade, holds anhyzers well, but lacks a little in glide. The FD is also quite straight, holds the anny well and fights out just a touch at the end, with a firmer fade (but not meat hook by any stretch), and has a nice amount of glide.

Really I think it's a choice of feel in the hand and comfort. That said, beat to straight DX teebirds do all of these things, and are cheaper, but don't hold that sweet spot forever. I think FD would be my current preference, with QJLS in a close second.

My understanding is that Rivers vary greatly with weight difference. I must have the most flippy flavor of river and the most stable saint... causing this gap that I am trying to fill.

I understand. Having a gap in your line-up can be very frustrating. For the shot you are talking about I find the recycled saint to be a perfect fit for me. I do not have the best consistancy when it comes to release angle so my Hatchet can either fly straight or flippy depending, so I find the recycled Saint to be a little more forgiving and I can throw it flat to get the flight I'm looking for. I also have a freak goldline Saint Pro that flies exactly the same way as the Saint. Like others have said, it is all about feel and comfort so maybe a little heavier River or a slightly beat up Saint can fill the gap since you already like those molds.

I understand. Having a gap in your line-up can be very frustrating. For the shot you are talking about I find the recycled saint to be a perfect fit for me. I do not have the best consistancy when it comes to release angle so my Hatchet can either fly straight or flippy depending, so I find the recycled Saint to be a little more forgiving and I can throw it flat to get the flight I'm looking for. I also have a freak goldline Saint Pro that flies exactly the same way as the Saint. Like others have said, it is all about feel and comfort so maybe a little heavier River or a slightly beat up Saint can fill the gap since you already like those molds.

If I were to look for the most under-stable saint what would I be looking for? 160's, GL, flat?

Rockch4lk, keep working that Saint. I have a 169 that has been my main driver for over a year now, and it flies totally straight now. I used to fade hard at the end, but it lost that while keeping low speed turn at bay. That's at about 300' of power. I've never tried a GL Saint, but that might be the answer as well.

As someone mentioned earlier, weight plays a role with Rivers, so a 174 Frost River would be a lot more stable than a 164 GL(which I also throw).

Latest posts