• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aces: Hyzers Vs Straight Shots

Four aces

One was on a hyzer skip line

Two was on a straight Aviar line

Three was on a dead straight shot.

Four was on a big hyzer.

So 50/50 here.

Not a ton of anhyzer aces, I wonder if that's because they're more likely to hit the left side of the chains (assuming RHBH), and the spin would tend to kick them out, while hyzers tend to hit the right side of the chains so the spin pulls the disc in toward the basket.

Hmm, I have 5 aces, lets see.

1 - Catastrophe, wasn't even throwing at the right pin location
2 - Turnover with an SL
3 - Hyzer with a Shark
4 - Honestly not sure, never saw the disc out of my hand. Didn't know it was an ace until I got within 30' of the basket
5 - Hyzer-flip s-turn with a TL

1. Beat ch teebird thrown flat to flip into s. Hit on a hyzer.
2. Pro Boss sidearm...skipped in off shot thrown completely hyzer.

only one
d1d83b3a.jpg

nice straight beat dx Roc for 220', hit it on the slightest of fades....called it as it approached the pin.

Mr. Mashnut,

Your...
"Not a ton of anhyzer aces, I wonder if that's because they're more likely to hit the left side of the chains (assuming RHBH), and the spin would tend to kick them out, while hyzers tend to hit the right side of the chains so the spin pulls the disc in toward the basket."
...has a flaw.

Pretend you're a bug riding on the disc as you approach the basket and visualize the disc's flight path.
On ANY shot (hyzer, straight, or anhyzer) you can "hit the chains" dead center, left-side, or right-side. And on ANY rhbh shot, ANY hit on the left will "slide off" more so than the others - be it hyzer, anhy, or straight - for the disc ALWAYS sees the ENTIRE chain assembly. Where it hits the assembly is the key.

Karl

Just got my 8th today

#3 Carter Park - Bowling Green, OH
252 ft. Tomahawk with a Champion Firebird 175g on 8/21/04
(big flip over tomahawk with wind going left)

#17 Kentwood - Raleigh, NC
215 ft. Backhand with a Champion Orc 167g on 3/25/08
(slight hyzer)

#15 Kentwood - Raleigh, NC
205 ft. Forehand with a Flick 150g on 4/17/08
(blind hyzer)

#3 Kentwood - Raleigh, NC
220 ft. Backhand with a JLS 164g on 5/29/08
(hyzer downhill)

#2 Cedar Hills - Raleigh, NC
316 ft. Backhand with a Star Wrath 171g on 4/29/09
(big blind hyzer downhill)

#8 Kentwood - Raleigh, NC
288ft. Backhand with a KC pro Cheetah 170g on 11/10/09
(slight S curve downhill)

#7 Cedar Hills - Raleigh, NC
250ft. Backhand with a Waterloo Roc 175g on 10/28/10
(fading hyzer)

#16 USF Riverfront Park - Tampa, FL
191ft. Backhand with a Star Mako 180g on 11/17/10
(slight hyzer)

Overall 6 of 8 were hyzers

Last edited:
20-25 aces, and about 70% hyzers, with 3 of them skips. Never thought about it before. Yesterday way my most recent ace RHBH on a 212' wide open hole with a slight hyzer with a wizard.

Not a ton of anhyzer aces, I wonder if that's because they're more likely to hit the left side of the chains (assuming RHBH), and the spin would tend to kick them out, while hyzers tend to hit the right side of the chains so the spin pulls the disc in toward the basket.

descent side arm with a meteor on a down hill shorter hole with tons of trees. coldbrook #11. hit the chains solid like it has to.

let's see...
1st one was a tight s-curve basically straight at it
2nd was a straight shot that faded in
3rd was a forehand hyzer skip
4th was a anny putter
5th was a forehand hyzer shot
6th was a straight forehand skip shot with a monster(you would have to have seen it... seriously dead straight skip.)
7th was a putter straight shot that faded in
8th was a straight shot with a shark
9th was a straight shot that faded in
10th was a putter straight shot that faded in, identical to the 7th ace
11th was a putter s curve
12th was a forehand hyzer

All in all, I guess I throw better straight.

i have only had 2, but one of each. first was a hyzer with a surge and the second one was straight as an arrow with a stalker. I have, however, had a lot more ace-runs with a hyzer than a straight shot.

Two aces. Both were dead straight wth some account for the gentle fade at the end. Both no doubters. One with a Buzzz, one with a Rubber Putter. Both looked exactly the same. CHING

My only ace was a thumber with a Banshee.

My nearest miss was a gentle turnover with a Rhyno that smashed chains, hit the pole and bounced out. Cost me $53 :mad:

It looks like there is a parking lot/road directly behind the basket. If we had a hole like that around here, the parking lot would be played as out of bounds for league or tournament play.

That is probably why most people throw a hyzer. When you throw the lazer straight at the basket and miss long, it would be OB. When you take the hyzer route, the disc has a better chance of landing in bounds and close to the basket if the proper amount of power is used.

There is but the basket is only at 204' the beginning of the parking lot is about is a good 40-50ft behind the hole. So if you put it in the parking lot then you look reaaaallly silly.

Basically to get the parking lot you have to take a "He-Man" rip or have a really really unlucky skip. Which is why I really don't mind the hyzers as I do everyone throwing wraiths, bosses, destroyers, nukes etc. on the hole. They're just meathooks at that range.

my 4 aces RHBH;

1. Hyzer skip , Wraith 285'
2. Flat release, Katana, turnover that faded back 368'
3. Slight hyzer release, Katana, very gentle turnover dead at basket 368'
4. Anny release, Buzzz

Now, when you are looking at these clips of aces are they coming in at the basket "hyzer"? Or is it a hyzer release? I would imagine there is a greater chance to hit an ace if you are considering it a "hyzer" if its fading when it hits the basket.