• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Add thumber, subtract strokes.......

I am confused by "Dave's Grip Tips" on the Innova site when it comes to Thumbers. Innova shows the thumber grip as this:

0gcwhYz

And I don't know wtf this is. When I've been throwing thumbers, I generally use something that looks very similar to the "Hook Thumb Grip":

5twotjf

However, the video tutorial on the first page of this thread suggests a third grip. Is it just kinda "whatever works" and gets you the results you want?

edit: Hmm, apparently this forum doesn't like imgur.

a thumber is an overhand throw like an outfielder might throw a baseball to home plate. you hook your thumb into the rim with the bottom side of the flight plate facing your ear. or, you can throw a tomahawk with your side armm grip and the top of the flight plate facing your ear.

Talking about thumbers and thomahawks they have changed my game. i used to pitch when i played baseball. person the thomahawk is a go to on drives i need to hit a tight spot and the trees are kinda low. The course i play a lot in Metropolais Illinois has 2 great thomahawks/thumber holes. it has crap lines for both sidearm and backhand. trees are only about 15ft tall the hole is 350ft straight i use that to my advantage that i can go over the top where everyone else has to choose a line that sucks. :clap:
Also when i play doubles with my buddy super long holes that are cut down when i throw a good thumber or thomahawk out there 350+ really lets my advanced buddy really max out.
I use the two finger throw on thomahawks. Thumbers are self explanitory :hfive:
I agree add them to your rep helps out a lot more than it hurts. great resource when in a terrible spot :p

I don't see how a thumber replaces a right turning shot.

Add a flick AND a true anny (OS disc) AND an understable right turn AND your thumber and...

Add a flick AND a true anny (OS disc) AND an understable right turn AND your thumber and...

you can throw it up there and let it lazily turn over, land on the flight plate and skip. a pretty fun shot for turns that are more like below. you could throw an anny. you could flick and potentially fade out early. you could also throw a thumber/LH tommy. i do it a lot on short approaches where i'm not so confident i can hit a gap with an anny shot. it feels more controlled than trying to throw BH so lightly.

/
|
|

I understand what overheads can accomplish but when you don't have the overhead space and/or you need the distance that only a horizantally flying disc brings, the sooner you learn to turn a disc right, the better.

I understand what overheads can accomplish but when you don't have the overhead space and/or you need the distance that only a horizantally flying disc brings, the sooner you learn to turn a disc right, the better.

i agree to a point. it goes both ways, of course. i throw RHBH and LHFH so annies and turnovers are big parts of my game. i was referring to a specific kind of turn. basically a skip shot. you can change the angle of release on an OH to compensate for lower ceilings. i play in the woods a lot. if there's an easier option that you are more confident in. . . why not take it? :) i played baseball through high school so it's pretty natural to me. you asked how it replaced a right turning shot. that's how, at least for that *specific* kind of anny/FH shot. i would never try to say it can do it all, that's just wishful thinking.

I throw RHBH and LHFH so annies and turnovers are big parts of my game.

I've never heard of this combo before. Don't you end up with a natural left fade with both of these throws?

Imagine having all four combos under one's command RHBH, RHFH, LHBH, & LHFH. You'd be a disc golf god.... lower case g of course. :clap:

I've never heard of this combo before. Don't you end up with a natural left fade with both of these throws?

Imagine having all four combos under one's command RHBH, RHFH, LHBH, & LHFH. You'd be a disc golf god.... lower case g of course. :clap:

yeah, it sucks even though it can be useful! i'm actually going to be working on LHBH and RHFH this season. i'm starting by playing catch with a ball throwing right handed and eating with my left hand to get a feel for the grip and motions.

you have to throw a thumber with some oomph to get it to roll past upside down, then as it looses speed and begins to loose altitude it begins to cut back to the right as the disc will be falling around \ angle when crashing back to the earth. different release angles between 12 and 2 will , mixed with different power will give you different amouts of turn and cut........ a twelve oclock release with a stable disc will go fairly straight for me.

I was a baseball player in college and would be a much worse disc golfer without overhead shots. In fact I may have never really got into the sport at all.

The first time I played it was going poorly, as it often does when your trying something new. I said to my friend, "I'm just going to throw the hell out of it like a baseball and see what it does."

The shot went 300 ft on target and I started loving the game. Since then my game has evolved from tomahawking every non putt/approach to a more well rounded game. There are a lot of holes where a good tommy can help you hit the hole in the trees or help the disc drop on the spot you need.

I probably only throw 30% overheads now but it's a great shot.

I throw it with pointer and middle finger stacked side by side on the rim wall, do a three step run up with a crow-hop like a OF in baseball then at a 30-40 degree angle release and snap the wrist hard.

You need max spin for good distance. And a tighter rotation gives you more accuracy.