• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Additional Features at Courses

In light of my last post about adding tees & baskets to a course, I am wondering, what features have you seen at courses which have really impressed you and made you want them at every course? For example, I have seen some tee signs now feature a QR code to let you
see a hole breakdown or drone flight.

Navigational aids are useful to travelers, but after a round or two, they don't matter so much. But one that's helped our course -- which has a disproportionate number of travelers -- and become common around here is coloring one rung on the bottom of the basket, to point in the direction of the next tee.

I'm not sure I've seen any feature I'd like to see every course adopt, though one of the better ones was a broom located at every tee. Or, as a frill, perhaps really good benches -- benches with backs, benches that hold at least 4 or 5 players, add to the comfort, particularly in tournaments.

Navigational aids are useful to travelers, but after a round or two, they don't matter so much. But one that's helped our course -- which has a disproportionate number of travelers -- and become common around here is coloring one rung on the bottom of the basket, to point in the direction of the next tee.

I'm not sure I've seen any feature I'd like to see every course adopt, though one of the better ones was a broom located at every tee. Or, as a frill, perhaps really good benches -- benches with backs, benches that hold at least 4 or 5 players, add to the comfort, particularly in tournaments.

I saw brooms at a course in the Outer Banks where there was sand everywhere. Really useful actually! Definitely think it would be helpful in the fall with all the leaves.

I saw brooms at a course in the Outer Banks where there was sand everywhere. Really useful actually! Definitely think it would be helpful in the fall with all the leaves.

Yes. Or wherever people track dirt onto the tee. (Our private course has rakes on a few tees, where leave/pinestraw can be particularly heavy).

I wouldn't quite say brooms would be great on every course, because some park courses have tees surrounded by grass, that rarely get any dirt or leaves on them. Of course, one consideration is whether the brooms will stay there, if you put them there. But I think they are a really nice touch.

Before Fred sold The Nati shop to the current owners he added brooms to all the tees at Mt Airy. They didn't last long. Great concept but they get stolen/lost quickly.

One thing I like on tee signs I haven't seen many places is the elevation change of the hole.

I also would like to see a few boot/shoe mud cleaners spaced thru out the course or each tee if feasible.

But the best courses, imo, are the ones who take care of the basic details. No frills needed if this is accomplished.

I'd be happy to see even a single boot/shoe brush located somewhere between last hole and the parking lot.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of color on baskets, particularly on wooded courses. Also flags stop baskets when elevation hides baskets from the tee.

Try to think of things that will help improve pace of play by reducing amount of time players spend actually actively "not playing."

Last edited:
I'd be happy to see even a single boot/shoe brush located somewhere between last hole and the parking lot.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of color on baskets, particularly on wooded courses. Also flags stop baskets when elevation hides baskets from the tee.

I was thinking about something similar. ZBoaz has some very shady holes and the fairways are frequently wet, you are forced to walk through some areas where mud cakes on your shoes. A nice touch might be a fixed/elevated steel grating that would be helpful to knock off the caked on mud. The local club has been putting a bunch of mulch out, but unfortunately, it has washed away in some places, so back to slogging through the muck. Along with that, a piece of astroturf might be useful for knocking off excess water. Played this morning and the dew was really heavy.

Every course should have good tee signs and directions to the next tee from the last pin.

On courses where there are predictably soft/muddy spits between holes, I've seen a few examples where folks have imbedded a bunch of cut branches into the mud, basically forming a pathway through the mud.

They have to be placed pretty close together to distribute weight, but they're surprisingly effective at keeping you from sinking a couple of inches into the muck.

On courses where there are predictably soft/muddy spits between holes, I've seen a few examples where folks have imbedded a bunch of cut branches into the mud, basically forming a pathway through the mud.

They have to be placed pretty close together to distribute weight, but they're surprisingly effective at keeping you from sinking a couple of inches into the muck.

My new home course uses wooden pallets for this, of course the pallet needs to be big enough for the muddy area.

One time playing there these 12 year olds were stealing one. I walked over to them with my phone out like I was taking their pictures. They even posed for them lol

They asked why I took their picture and I told them the park people will want to know who took the pallets off the course.

They were put back rather quickly. And I never took their picture. :D

Trees that catch as bad as I throw.
Benches that don't force my knees into my chin because they are so low.
I also love tee signs showing elevation change tee to pin.
Flags on ground marking fairway or needed flight path turns. Easier to gauge that distance than one of 30 trees you don't the true size of to begin with.

Trees that catch as bad as I throw.
Benches that don't force my knees into my chin because they are so low.
I also love tee signs showing elevation change tee to pin.
Flags on ground marking fairway or needed flight path turns. Easier to gauge that distance than one of 30 trees you don't the true size of to begin with.

Bryant Lake Park in MN had beautiful benches and posts with bag hangers on just about every tee.

Bryant Lake Park in MN had beautiful benches and posts with bag hangers on just about every tee.

Beautiful, wonderfully executed course. Just my personal preference, but I enjoyed Bryant Lake moreso than Blue Ribbon Pines.