• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on discs for a beginner

UK DG

I have just decided to try to get into disc golf. I have yet to even play a full round (played first 4 holes of local course after work yesterday). I just purchased the following three discs to get me started:

Discraft Eclipse Pro-D 167g
Innova Shark DX 150g
Banger GT Pro-D 166g

After throwing several practice throws on the range/putting green and playing the first four holes yesterday, I feel I had good form and threw well but didn't get that great of distance out of the Eclipse driver. What are some suggestions to gain distance?

This is a long range, but not an ultra distance driver and fairly light and Pro-D plastic. Give some suggestions on which type of driver, weight, plastic, etc would be best for a naturally athletic beginner!

Thanks Zenbot, there are a few suggestions on there. It seems to be geared toward what I was thinking when I purchased the 3 that I did. I tried some shorter more stable discs that were suggested for beginners. I was kind of looking for suggestions soley on gaining distance from those particular discs. I saw a post on here with some flight patterns that was pretty good:

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=c3d9f8a48c2f9e0ca44844fcaf132f1d

judging by it I was thinking something like the Beast or Archangel or Spectra or something? What are some suggestions for weight? How does the weight affect your distance or throw in general???

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=c3d9f8a48c2f9e0ca44844fcaf132f1d

judging by it I was thinking something like the Beast or Archangel or Spectra or something? What are some suggestions for weight? How does the weight affect your distance or throw in general???

The cheaper the plastic, the farther it will fly. The lighter the disc, the farther it will fly (if you can control it). Those are two disc golf axioms. The first is particularly true of some the older molds that came out before the premium plastics because they fly like glideless hunks of crap in premium plastic. Plastics run from base to premium in this order, in terms of potential distance: DX/pro D, R-pro, Pro/elite X, Star/ESP, champ/elite Z. (I'm leaving off ESP-FLX b/c I've heard contradicting sides but it probably hovers around ESP).

However, the base plastic stuff doesn't hold up very well in drivers faster than your speed 6 and 7 fairway drivers (teebirds, Eagles, etc.), pro/elite x does ok though.

For you, I would see what you can do with a Star Valk, ~168-172 range. It's no longer considered a "Big D" driver even though it holds the distance record, go figure. But it's a good relevance point for determining where to go next if you need to and are definitely capable of big D. Beast is not a bad option but they're a little too fast for most noobs.

Have fun amigo. :hfive:

beginners naturally tend to prefer understable discs. I'd recommend a DX sidewinder for maximizing distance. Forget all the boss hype, I've seen way too many beginners throwing the boss because OMG THIS IS THE FASTEST THING EVER THIS CHART EVEN SAID SO. once you can get that to start going right instead of left when thrown flat (and at least 300 ft), then you can start getting into more stable/longer stuff, but I'd take that all step by step

really I should add that distance isn't the most important thing for a beginner to worry about though. accuracy is far more important. focus on understable midranges, the wolf is very good for beginners (the only disc I could get to go straight when I first started.) from there, build up into a skeeter or coyote and eventually stable midrange like the buzzz/roc.

Not familiar with the Eclipse, but I would recommend a Stratus, Sidewinder or Roadrunner as great beginner discs. If your area is typically windy, go for the Sidewinder or Valkyrie.

Not familiar with the Eclipse, but I would recommend a Stratus, Sidewinder or Roadrunner as great beginner discs. If your area is typically windy, go for the Sidewinder or Valkyrie.

I was never very happy with the Stratus back in my day of n00b-age, but a Roc never let me down.

a Roc never let me down.

All n00bs should learn to throw a Roc. I went almost 2 years without one, trying to throw big drivers. My game, much like my Destroyers and Wraiths, stalled. Picked up a domey glam-roc and have been watching my accuracy improve so much that I must invent a word for it. My accuracy has improved DRAMASTICALLY!

All n00bs should learn to throw a Roc....Picked up a domey glam-roc and have been watching my accuracy improve so much that I must invent a word for it. My accuracy has improved DRAMASTICALLY!

:thmbup: That is strategery everyone should employ.

Didn't know GWB was a forum member. :D

I would recommend sticking to drivers less than 170g - they will be easier to control and give you some workable distance. Mids, low 170s.

I'd recommend against those discs. They aren't very predictible and can teach bad habits like powering down too much to keep them from getting too squirrley.

The easiest to control will be a Polaris LS or a DX Cheetah.

If you don't mind them starting off a bit more overstable and breaking into being really controlable a D Cyclone or DX Gazelle are both also great.

Or...you could try this. Pick up a pair of Star Leopards at about 167-169g. Find an empty park with 2 trees about 80-90 paces apart. Thats around 240-270'. Throw back and forth between your target trees 10x. That'll get ya 20 reps in one direction, 20 reps in the other. So you get the reps to start grooving your toss and you get the feel for opposite wind direction.

In retrospect, I should have started out with DX Valk's medium weight 160-167 g and I like Star Sidewinders, for me, I can go almost to Max Weight and still keep it fairly straight. The DX Valk's however, need replacing quickly if they meet up with many trees.

For Mid-Ranges, I tried and tried based on everyone's advice, to throw a Roc, I don't know if I just had crappy/inexpensive Roc's, but I couldn't throw one at first. Now with a year's experience, I can finally throw it.

Leopards and that Shark you have are both good starter Mid-ranges. The other mid-ranges I like are DX Cobra discs (180), once it is beat in, you can get some good anhyzer lines, predictably finishing right (RHBH) and when new it stays fairly straight. I also like a Star Stingray (170) for a straight disc.

Once you get confortable with mid-ranges, step up to some more stable, almost all I listed are understable. A Buzz will always be a great mid-range.

Putters, just see what feels good to you. I use KC Pro Aviars.

My wife throws:

Drivers:
Star leopard: 170g
Champ leo: 150g
Star Sidewinder: 150g
ESP Flash: 170g (wind)
Champ Banshee: 165g (wind)
Sirius Orion LS: 170g
Sirius Orion LS: 150g

Mids:
Star Stingray 170g
DX Stingray 173g
Star Gremlin 170g
Pro Classic Roc 170g

Putters:
Star XD 170g
R-pro XD 170g
ESP Zone 170g

She is learning that the lighter discs go farther but we have been averaging >10mph winds since it warmed up which makes it pretty miserable trying to throw a 150-160g disc.

A beginners story

Well I am a beginner that has played about 15 rounds. Not knowing anything about disc, my first disc I bought was a Wolf, why? because it said multi purpose. I played about 8 rounds with that disc and learn to throw it fairly consistantly straight but not far (200 ft max).

So my next thought was, okay I need more distance and so I went out and bought a leopard and a dx Valkyrie. I was confident I would be okay with the dx leopard but figured I could grow into the Valkyrie. This ended up being a mistake. I could not control them with any consistancy and to make matters worse, I am trying to throw them in wooded holes. I don't think there was a tree my disc didn't like. If there was one remotely in the area I was beaning it. The leopard was much straighter than the Valkyrie but both way out of my league to start out with. Oh I could throw it farther but often it ended up off course and no closer to the basket then a 175-200' drive straight with my wolf.

I put the drivers away, went out and bought a putter (aviar) and another midrange (rock 170). I liked my wolf but it was Heavy (180) and thought maybe a ligter midrange with a little more glide would help and I would just drive with it. Well this made a hugh difference in my game. I started throwing my putter for approach shots and that seem to help me stay on course as well.

So What have I learned as a beginner. Distance means nothing if its not straight or on course. Throwing more accurate and not as hard with midrange disc results in staying on course and better scores. Putters can be thrown further and more effectively than you think they can. DO NOT attempt to throw drivers down heavly wooded holes, leave that for the more advanced player!

As for the drivers, I have been taking more time just throwing them in a open field until I feel confident enough to use on actual holes. Practice practice practice!

Well I am a beginner that has played about 15 rounds. Not knowing anything about disc, my first disc I bought was a Wolf, why? because it said multi purpose. I played about 8 rounds with that disc and learn to throw it fairly consistantly straight but not far (200 ft max).

So my next thought was, okay I need more distance and so I went out and bought a leopard and a dx Valkyrie. I was confident I would be okay with the dx leopard but figured I could grow into the Valkyrie. This ended up being a mistake. I could not control them with any consistancy and to make matters worse, I am trying to throw them in wooded holes. I don't think there was a tree my disc didn't like. If there was one remotely in the area I was beaning it. The leopard was much straighter than the Valkyrie but both way out of my league to start out with. Oh I could throw it farther but often it ended up off course and no closer to the basket then a 175-200' drive straight with my wolf.

I put the drivers away, went out and bought a putter (aviar) and another midrange (rock 170). I liked my wolf but it was Heavy (180) and thought maybe a ligter midrange with a little more glide would help and I would just drive with it. Well this made a hugh difference in my game. I started throwing my putter for approach shots and that seem to help me stay on course as well.

So What have I learned as a beginner. Distance means nothing if its not straight or on course. Throwing more accurate and not as hard with midrange disc results in staying on course and better scores. Putters can be thrown further and more effectively than you think they can. DO NOT attempt to throw drivers down heavly wooded holes, leave that for the more advanced player!

As for the drivers, I have been taking more time just throwing them in a open field until I feel confident enough to use on actual holes. Practice practice practice!

Good advice from a new player.