• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on discs for a beginner

Early on I got a 150 class Leopard & it was the 1st driver that ever really work for me. I would also suggest a Panther... not quite a driver, but not quite a mid.

Or...you could try this. Pick up a pair of Star Leopards at about 167-169g. Find an empty park with 2 trees about 80-90 paces apart. Thats around 240-270'. Throw back and forth between your target trees 10x. That'll get ya 20 reps in one direction, 20 reps in the other. So you get the reps to start grooving your toss and you get the feel for opposite wind direction.

This is close to perfect, but since you are brand new, get the Champ Leopard instead. You'll likely be hitting many, many trees (no offense, it's gonna happen), and the Champ will last much longer. Don't go with anything faster than this, a Gazelle, or a TL for now. You'll be glad you did later.

All n00bs should learn to throw a Roc. I went almost 2 years without one, trying to throw big drivers. My game, much like my Destroyers and Wraiths, stalled. Picked up a domey glam-roc and have been watching my accuracy improve so much that I must invent a word for it. My accuracy has improved DRAMASTICALLY!

Great advice. And if you don't like the Roc, try a Buzzz or Core. Everyone has one they like more than the other.

Look for videos on form and technique.

Or, you could just click on these links....

Dan Beto's Driving Tips and Technique

More Snap #1

More Snap #2

More Snap Demonsration #1

More Snap Demonstration #2

Thanks everyone...I am getting some great advice. I think based on the information I will be best to continue just playing the short accurate shot that I did my first time out for a while then attempt an actual driver out on the range for a while before actually attempting it on course. Based on the information provided it looks like a Side Winder or Valkyrie will be the first to attempt but maybe later on this summer after getting a few rounds under my belt.

If anyone has any other advice please continue to post!!!!

Would it be advisable to maybe buy both a side winder and valkyrie or two of one them but in different weights...say 165 and 175 to use the lighter on calm days and heavier on windy days?

I suggested that he go with a Comet and a Leopard, My dad bought a Discraft Meteor and an Innova Classic Roc.

**** just got real.

Someone at the store may have guided him to those, hopefully they're in lighter weights but seems like a good start to me.

Hold of for a little while on the SW and Valkyrie. Get used to the Leopard, and then move up and purchase a TL or a Teebird. Get to know these discs intimately, and once you feel like you are getting all out of them that you can (better than 300' or so), then move up to something faster.

And don't just play courses; you won't get better as fast as you could if you head out to a field and practice, practice, practice. You'll only be cheating yourself if you want to get better but only play rounds.

Good advice

Hold of for a little while on the SW and Valkyrie. Get used to the Leopard, and then move up and purchase a TL or a Teebird. Get to know these discs intimately, and once you feel like you are getting all out of them that you can (better than 300' or so), then move up to something faster.

And don't just play courses; you won't get better as fast as you could if you head out to a field and practice, practice, practice. You'll only be cheating yourself if you want to get better but only play rounds.

I agree the field does help more because it makes you really pay attention to the form, release & flight. You get more reps in and you dont have to worry about loosing disc.

From a beginners perspective. Don't expect to be throwing 300'+ any time soon and it should not be your immediate goal. I believe what is considered "average" is 225-275' range. If you can get consistant at a straight drive around 250'-260' range then you will have good opertunity to par-bird most holes and really enjoy the game. You can get that distance with midrange disc.

So many of the harder courses I play and I think in general are not ones with open fields and require long drives but ones which require more technical and accurate shots. Basically courses which are more wooded! This is why learning to throwing straight, hyzer and anhyzer is much more important than throwing for distance.

I highly recommend working more on approach shots and putts over any concern on distance. This is where I see the biggest difference between beginners & advance players. To me it is much harder and more beneficial to hit those 15-20 ft putts then it is to get 50' more distance from a drive. Learn to throw those approach shots around trees and hyzers-anhyzers in general. As a beginner I find one of the hardest shots to throw accurate is a uphill anhyzer. Just another example of things to work on before you work on distance.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...advice appreciated. That is in general what I have tried to do. I went and practiced Monday when I got my first discs and through in an open field for a couple of hours. Then yesterday I played my first round after practicing in the field for 30 minutes or so. I can tell that the key to good scores is making the shorter shots consistently. I felt like I did okay for a beginner...got in the trees on about 3 holes or so, but overall played pretty consistently! I missed one or two putts inside 20' but for the most part nailed every shot I didn't "lay up" on. After playing the course which is mostly wooded I can see what you guys are talking about as far as accuracy being much more important than distance. There are about 5 holes that I felt like I couldn't drive it as far as I "needed" to. Those are mainly my only concern on distance. For instance the last hole on the course is a WIDE OPEN 355' hole and although I threw about a 200' drive and then made a great approach with my midrange to give an easy 3 I felt like that is one that after you get the distance could have a decent chance at 2 and then an easy three if missed. I can hold off on that for a while though until I get the form down...after seeing some of the others on the course I can tell I am throwing "all arm". I don't have any turn in my throw like the seasoned players did.