• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aiming with the Body

Joemic

Par Member
I have recently cut my form down to just one step plus an x-step. I read that it is important to aim with the body, so to line up your shoulder with the target. I have been doing this, but still shanking discs left and right, hitting trees, and missing the fairway.

I was wondering what else may cause this if I am most definitely lined up with my shoulder. How can I fix it? How can I work on it at home? I plan on taking a video of myself again for critique, but I was looking for some general tips first. Thanks, guys.

For me, spraying shots inconsistently:
1) not having my weight over my front foot when I release.
2) not pulling the disc close enough to my chest and getting off line
3) trying too hard - I have to force myself to slow down and stop worrying about distance - I get the same distance eigher way (which isn't very far). #3 frequently causes #1 and #2.

I'd say slow down & try to be smooth with it. That always seems to help me stay more fundamentally sound. Keeping the disc on a straight line (no rounding) before the release also helps to not spray shots all over the place. These two links should help you, the top one specifically talks about aiming with the body, it helped me a lot & was written by a great disc golf teacher Blake T.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/aiming.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

As Gradus mentioned, having your weight over your plant foot upon release is important. Also, I've noticed making sure my plant foot lands in the direction I'm throwing is really important. That goes along with the whole "aiming with your body" thing again.

For me, spraying shots inconsistently:
1) not having my weight over my front foot when I release.
2) not pulling the disc close enough to my chest and getting off line
3) trying too hard - I have to force myself to slow down and stop worrying about distance - I get the same distance eigher way (which isn't very far). #3 frequently causes #1 and #2.

^^This.

#3, same here. I think "oh man I'm gonna huck the s**t outta this shot" and usually end up with some way off line shot.

For me it comes down a lot to timing. Pulling through the body and shifting my weight all in perfect timing seems to give me my best results. Focus on timing also.

The steps I take to keep it simple are:

Gradually move faster in approach.

Point my right butt cheek at target

Look at my disc at back of throwing motion and make sure that it is level and at the height needed for the angle.

Rip through.

Your head is key, don't watch the disc until your body forces your head to move. This will be weird at first but after you get used to not watching the disc right away you will be happier with your drives.

Will explains it in this vid & also talks about the rounding I was talking about earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI

Last edited:
Another thing that will help is to focus on your hit at the end.

Usually when I start spraying discs it's because I wasn't getting enough hit at the end of my throw.

For me it's all about what my head is doing. If I'm pulling my head around too soon or lifting it up my shots go everywhere. If I keep my head down and under control then the disc usually does the same.

Follow the path!

Heard this from Big Germ at one of his distance clinics: The whole body pointed & following the same path to the target. Everything follows in succession. It's like an unfolding action. Shoulder, arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, hand, fingers, fingertips, fingernails, boom! Which way your elbow was pointed was key for me!

If I'm sprayin em left it's because my arm is out too wide. If they're going right, my head wasn't down through the throw which opens up my body too soon. Usually happens when I try too hard like these guys said

I like to imagine the line I am going to throw drawn on the ground in front of me. Then I keep my head down focused on the line and dont look off of the line until I follow thru. All of the bodily movement should be fucused on keeping the disc on the line thru the entire throw. So no movement of the body should take your arm or disc off of the line.

Something along the lines of #3 here is to not get caught up in results. Focus on the process.