• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All holes should be par 3!

Yes, there are many variables, and it will never be perfect. But other than striving to do that, I don't see a purpose for par at all.

That is stroke count. Par is not needed for that. I am just saying what par aims to do, because if it doesn't give some level of meaningful comparison between different courses it is useless other than as a scoring shorthand.

AGREED AND AGREED. :hfive:

What's the par on this thread?

Jimmy%20McMillan.JPG

TOO DAMN HIGH!

Yep...they even each other out.
Until par two are allowed, its the only was to balance things out.
Locals shoot double digits down even with all 3's....it looks like a joke.

Yep...they even each other out.
Until par two are allowed, its the only was to balance things out.
Locals shoot double digits down even with all 3's....it looks like a joke.

Until courses with holes easy enough to call them par 2s are deconstructed and redesigned. :eek:

Until courses with holes easy enough to call them par 2s are deconstructed and redesigned. :eek:
On many of those holes, the only way you're going to do that is plant a snotload of trees and wait about 15 years from them to grow, or put scads of artificial OB around them.

it's funny how many times people can be shown a rule in the rulebook that makes par matter and then they turn around and say it doesnt.

furthermore, i really don't understand how some of you can argue that the score is more informative and descriptive than your score in relation to par.

par just helps describe how you played in relation to a course, it's a descriptive tool. i don't think i've ever seen people freak out so much about something that's simply used as a tool to describe and explain something better.

if you don't care what par is then don't care, why the hell do you have to come on the internet and tell people they should also not care? score your round any way you want, i score mine based on three's most of the time but i still see the benefit of par.

Im not talking old school courses; on modern courses the majority of holes are 2'd by good players. Our standard should be something to strive for.

I am just saying it isn't needed to compare scores in the same round. You would just be referring to your stroke count, and par is meaningless in the scope of one course other than as scoring shorthand.

It would be handy, though. What if we were in different pools? Or on a shotgun start you had just finished the 9 difficult holes, and I have just finished the 9 easy holes?

It would be handy, though. What if we were in different pools? Or on a shotgun start you had just finished the 9 difficult holes, and I have just finished the 9 easy holes?

I could argue in that circumstance that you had each played a separate 9 hole course and par is helping you compare your performance. Once the full round is completed, however, you have both played all the same holes, comparing par is equivalent to comparing stroke count.

Not always possible considering many courses have taken up about all the real estate that they can. Even if you used the same footprint, "fixing" one hole will just screw up another.

oh I know I know... I guess I am just trying to say I'd rather see holes be more difficult than start classifying par 2's. I am not being practical at all.

It can be a bit confusing when trying to determine how well you've played when people aren't on the same page in relation to par.

Dude1 "I crushed that course, shot -12"

Dude2 "Course par or 3's?"

Dude1 "Say what?"

Dude2 "Did you play course par or each hole as a 3? There's a 10 stroke difference between course pars and all 3's "

Dude1 "Uh, let's go drink some beer!"

It can be a bit confusing when trying to determine how well you've played when people aren't on the same page in relation to par.

Dude1 "I crushed that course, shot -12"

Dude2 "Course par or 3's?"

Dude1 "Say what?"

Dude2 "Did you play course par or each hole as a 3? There's a 10 stroke difference between course pars and all 3's "

Dude1 "Uh, let's go drink some beer!"
For counting purposes i count everything as a three, but in relation to par it is course par.