• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments!

It's very edifying how some individuals insist on 'pulling rank'. I guess some people's thirst is never slaked, but I digress...

Is has already been established that each model of target has its unique peculiarities and that the 'perfect' target has yet to be 'discovered'. So, as a player, one may attempt to discover the 'perfect' target or one may adjust one's approach and attitude to the existing conditions. The average golfer, including the 'casual fan' like myself, has the greatest opportunity to effect change in the latter. The result will likely be greater pleasure with the game and with himself, which is the main reason the average golfer plays. In this respect, the vast majority of golfers are 'average', and I dare say many professionals play for pleasure as well. My assertion is that the real, practical locus of this 'problem' actually lies within every man, not 'out there' in the targets.

We could go back and forth on this one. A lot of good counter points. But remember this, dg is young, an evloving sport so to speak.

I would think for that reason alone you would seek out continuous improvement of our equipment. Along with tweaking the specs and rules of our sport.

Last edited:
I noticed at the memorial, from the fountain all the metal around the park is corroded and rough. The light poles handrails and electrical boxes are all rusted and rotted out. I wonder if the chemicals in the water is affecting the metal of the baskets and corrosion is building up so the chains don't slide

I noticed at the memorial, from the fountain all the metal around the park is corroded and rough. The light poles handrails and electrical boxes are all rusted and rotted out. I wonder if the chemicals in the water is affecting the metal of the baskets and corrosion is building up so the chains don't slide

That's a really interesting observation.

In fact, one of the reviews of the course by reezyF indicates that the grass there is watered with recycled water. That alone could rot most anything metalic - even galvanized - very quickly. Of course that all depends on how it's treated and filtered prior to being sprinkled. I have to believe chains with corrosion on them would not catch as well.

It's reclaimed waste water.

Apparently they don't put the fountain to full height anymore after many complaints from neighbors.

The water was eating the paint off of cars and houses.

I'd find this really hard to believe. Chemicals harsh enough to do this damage would kill the waterfowl. And while the Trump administration is trying to kill the EPA, as of this moment, they still monitor water quality.

I'd find this really hard to believe. Chemicals harsh enough to do this damage would kill the waterfowl. And while the Trump administration is trying to kill the EPA, as of this moment, they still monitor water quality.
You are not allowed to go in the water to retrieve your disc. In the past, some players who did so had their shoes rot or fall apart.

You are not allowed to go in the water to retrieve your disc. In the past, some players who did so had their shoes rot or fall apart.

Well, I'm not there, but several things occur to me. Why hasn't the grass died? Why haven't the birds died. Why isn't the retaining wall rotting away? Why does the water fountain still function? I mean, if everything else is rotting from the water, how can a delicate pump mechanism survive? Maybe it truly is toxic but that seems illegal to me.

The water in Fountain Lake is actually clean and quite safe as it is treated and tested on a regular basis. From the city Fountain Hills.

There is a problem though. Darned funny one. It comes from the over use of fertilizers. Consequently there's too much ammonia and nitrogen in the lake. So, lots of algea and smells that go with it. Dead zones where the fish die.

http://www.fhtimes.com/news/local_n...cle_c4cdec4c-7473-11e6-bb44-fb8fd6d44c2a.html

Read to your hearts content.

Take a look around next time you are there. ;)

I think some basket maintenance, like lube and a visual inspection of each row or chains and slides before a big tournament would help. Other professional sports are thourough on checking and maintaining equipment, why shouldn't disc golf do the same?

Fountain hills park has an abnormal amount of rust compared to the surrounding areas.
Rust and corrosion are not normal here in AZ.
It's obviously from the fountain.

Take a look around next time you are there. ;)

To see what? I live in Houston. The sun rots all kinds of things. Paint, rooftops, skin, wood and pretty much everything else. You're spraying a fine water mist 15 minutes of every hour. It's like it rains every hour on the hour. You don't need a government conspiracy, just reality. BTW, if you dip shoes in a pond full of algae, and don't wash them out, they're likely to rot.

I'd find this really hard to believe. Chemicals harsh enough to do this damage would kill the waterfowl.

Water can be quite corrosive without being toxic. Saltwater is extremely aggressive in terms of metal corrosion yet have ducks, fish, etc. happily living in it. Same with various fertilizer salts, which actually accelerate vegetative growth, while at the same time being quite corrosive to metal.

I think some basket maintenance, like lube and a visual inspection of each row or chains and slides before a big tournament would help. Other professional sports are thourough on checking and maintaining equipment, why shouldn't disc golf do the same?

Fountain hills park has an abnormal amount of rust compared to the surrounding areas.
Rust and corrosion are not normal here in AZ.
It's obviously from the fountain.

I grew up in Seattle, it doesn't rain every day, just 200 out of the year. Everything rusts there too. Turns out keeping things wet causes them to rust. Like spraying a giant water fountain all day. Who knew? On the other hand, it probably is the government putting something in the water. A genetically engineered rust causing bug. That way the mayor, who owns an electrical junction box company, can generate more sales.

Hire them boys from Flint; they'll fix everything right up!

Yep. And how long did it take to find out what those guys from Flint were doing? Not long. This town, Fountain Hills, is full of $500,000 homes. Does anyone really think they're gonna put up with what happened in Flint?

Water can be quite corrosive without being toxic. Saltwater is extremely aggressive in terms of metal corrosion yet have ducks, fish, etc. happily living in it. Same with various fertilizer salts, which actually accelerate vegetative growth, while at the same time being quite corrosive to metal.

Yeah, I bet the salts from the fertilizer have a big role to play. I'm in Seattle, and as Lyle points out, it does indeed rain quite a bit, however corrosion isn't that big of a deal here, relatively speaking. One of my coworkers is Canadian, and she's remarked about how she's amazed at how much longer cars last here than her home, because of all the salt corrosion they get. On a somewhat related note, I actually observed rust to be a much bigger issue where I grew up in the southeast. All our tools out in the garage would rust out in a matter of no time, whereas all my tools here hold up fine with little care on my part. I think the humidity was the culprit there.

There are plenty of courses around oceans, and saltwater is pretty corrosive in its own right. Im not a metals guy, but I know we have more than a few on these forums...anyone out there care to chime in on disc golf baskets chain quality and galvinization?

Im sure the cheaper baskets out there would go to pot pretty quickly in such circumstances,but I also assume the higher quality baskets resist corrosion better? Any spit outs I saw on video of the Memorial were putts that were slightly off anyway...basically those types of putts are the story of my disc golf career so I can relate for sure.