• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] All MVP Bag: tips, suggestions and fun.

Just for the heck of it I'm gonna bust your balls a little...:D

Super beefy mids are useless...Seriously, if you can't get by with an overstable Proton Vector and powering down Shocks (or throwing them smoothly with a touch of anny) then you need more practice instead of a super beefy mid anyway. I don't think we will really know what m1-m4 are going to fly like until Prodigy gets it together either.

Also, a true fairway driver? The Axis is so long and the drivers power down so well that there is seriously like a 10' gap at best between their mids/drivers for me. The drivers are a NEW kind of fairway that are faster yet don't glide a bunch and therefore are super easy to range and cut the wind way better.

Not going to disagree with you on the first bolded point. Like I said, I never saw the need for one until I threw the M1, and part of that was the lusty connection I get with their awesome plastic blend. I can see it's uses now that I've thrown the M1 and the Innova Gator, but like I said, I'd never thrown a really OS mid in all my years of playing until 3 weeks ago. The point I was making is that the OP was asking way on what gaps MVP has....and that is one that I see in other manufacturers.

Agree with the second bolded point as well...to a point. I like their wording of "control driver" as opposed to fairway driver (aren't all drivers supposed to stay on the fairway anyway?) because that's exactly what I find with them. I found the Amp a little difficult to range (hence why it's not in the bag) but I can throw my Volts or my initial-run Shocks on anything from 200 feet to 350 feet...and I'm not very good. BUT, and this is a big but, a lot of my more inexperienced friends and my wife cannot do that. I guess instead of "slower speed" control driver, I should have said more "begginer-friendly"...hate to use an Innova example again, but something like a Gazelle is to a Teebird.

I understand also that begginers aren't neccesarily MVP's target market at the moment, but the OP was asking for gaps in their lineup, and that's how I see it. So really, discspeed, we were both right! LOL

I am slowly migrating to a MVP dominated bag, but I would have a hard time playing without an Opto Trident, my go to disc on the wind even for putts.

I haven't thrown my Anode, Vector, or Zone in about 4, or 5 rounds.

I'd be quite happy with only the Amp, Volt, Ion, Axis, and Tangent. I may try out a Shock at some point, but we'll see. To replace the Vision, I just need to beat in an Amp some more, and add a fresh one.

Original NutSac (5 discs): Anode, Zone, Tangent, Vector, Volt

Voodoo Juju (9 discs): 2x Anode, Zone, Tangent, Axis, Vector, Amp, Volt, Shock

Phyiscal Flight Contender (17-20 discs): 2x Anode, 2x Zone (ESP/Crystal FLX), Tangent, N/E Axis, N/E Vector, 2x Amp, 2x Volt, FR/New Shock, Villian, D4

I originally had XXX in my bag, but since new Shock is quite beefy for me so I took out XXX.

D4 is my tailwind/little wind max distance driver and Villian being headwind max distance. I like to try Trespass someday.

Zone is the key non-MVP disc by far. I like how it "dive bomber" at the end. That helps me to get closer to the basket in those upshots where I need to throw straight and then hard fade. I do use hyzer upshots with Anode as well MVP mids if I have space. Depending on type of greens (fast/slow/dangerous/safe) and how is my putting performance at a given moment (we all have some ups and down in putting game) I might go for basket with Zone rather than Anode knowing that Zone will keep close to the basket if missed while Anode might fly by bit too much. (I am mostly straight spin push putter, but I would "lob/pitch" the putter if situation calls for that).

I have not played in rainy round in so long time. I think I would take DX Teebirds and Pro D Zone with me if it is really raining hard. I ll look forward for really rainy round to see how I ll handle.

I a, for sure enjoying the added fade that the Jokeri has added to my bag. Really great for short flicks, windy approaches and short Skype hyzers. Should make and stay in the bag for the long haul. Plastic feels great too.

I used an MVP Nutsac yesterday and had a good round with almost all shots covered on a moderately wooded course:
Shock, Volt, Amp, Vector, Tangent, Suspect.

Hyzerflipping the Tangent isn't as effortless as it is with the Tursas, but I can control the fade easier. I really like all the MVP discs except the putters. They're both deeper than I prefer.

I actually WAS rocking an all MVP bag for a bit, but I found that at my current power level, (350 with the Volt on a good day) I wasn't able to get as much use out of their lineup. My experience with MVP has always shown me that I have a lot more growing to do before ill personally consider a full on MVP bag again. Currently, the only MVP in my bag right now is my trusty opaque blue puddle top ion.

I carry 2 of every mvp mold, with the exceptions being the amp and tangent. Not a whole lot that is left uncovered.

2nd Run shock, beef as hell. Just kills headwinds like nothing, while keeping a controlled distance
FR pink shock, ridiculously understable, such an oddity...I use it for big curve shots.
167 Volt, straighter shots where i need a bit of turn but limited fade
Dyed heavier volt, throw this for just about everything. Such an amazing disc
Black amp, I don't really use it. It looks awesome though.

Domey max weight vector, not a FR but still plenty OS for my needs
A flatter vector for less OS but still needing a fade
Max weight Axis for straighter shots
Another lighter axis for shots with a bit of turn and minimal fade
Tangent, still working this out...I feel if I threw it more I could replace 3 discs

2 soft anodes for putting
2 Ions for approaches and "swoop" putts. (not sure if anybody else uses that term, rofl)

...my confession is that i also carry a zone. And a dragon. Because I hate to lose discs in chemical ponds.

I think an all MVP bag is possible...just not for me. Both due to arm speed/control and my comfort level with other discs. I'm not opposed to change (I did just swap my Kraits for Saints after more than a year of Krait love) but I don't think I could stretch my MVP drivers out on the longer holes that I sometimes encounter.

I generally rock all MVP rounds. I still have a few Destroyers in my bag for heavy winds, and one Vulcan that I have a love/hate relationship with and pull out mostly on windless days.

Heres my mostly MVP bag

Drivers:
DD Bio Trespass - Works like a destroyer for over-stable distance shots
Prodigy Proto D4 - Great disc for turnovers that don't burn and always comes back at the verry end, i LOVE it as my under-stable driver slot.

Fairways:
MVP Shock - over-stable, great for up to extreme winds, my new runs i throw have 0 turn, sometimes it seems like they have 0.5 HSS.
MVP Volt - slightly overstable, when powered down still flys great and goes dead straight with healthy forward penetrating fade and gets good skips. Powered up it has an awesome S curve for mega sneaky distance that the forward penetrating fade pushes even further at the end. BEST DRIVER IN THE BAG
Lat64 GL River 175g - turn over under-stable, nothing beats the river for its amazing glide, control and late turn that gets me through those tricky gaps. just an amazing disc, the AMP just doesn't compete with it, but the amp really isnt very "under-stable" imo, it just holds anny for a while.

Midrange:
MVP Vector (High PLH) - over-stable, This thing turns almost right out of the gate, its flat, but has freakish high PLH and fights wind for me all day up to moderate winds easily.
MVP Vector (Normal eclipse, beat in) - slightly overstable, holds a neutral straight line for 80% of its flight with 0 turn, then fades softly at the end. my go to when i want to power up a midrange to go straight without it turning at all.
MVP Axis (Fresh Eclipse) - Flys neutral to slightly over-stable lines
MVP Axis (Eclipse, Beat in) - This used to be my go-to end all for straight neutral to under-stable lines.. now i use the tangent, but keep this in the bag because i know how to work it so well.
MVP Neutron Tangent - Best disc I have ever used for straight neutral to under-stable lines, way easier to use than the axis for these types of shots and has, amazingly, great wind resistance for its stability. I have been parking more holes with huge anhyzers than ever before.. my player rating is going up this year for sure.

Putters:
3x MVP Ion (Eclipse, soft proton, neutron) - Beast mode, better than my old challengers and wizards at everything. I can drive with them, putt with them.. just don't tell your competition about them :\

I love MVP.

I currently carry every MVP mold but the Anode.

I have a XXX that is even more OS than the Shock that I enjoy for shorter OS drives than the Shock does. Used to be used for headwind drives often but the Shock is my go to stiff headwind driver for most shots now.

I added a Zone recently for shorter overstable duties and approach shots with enough headwind to flip an ion or vector.

I have a trio of Quasars, fresh and beefy, seasoned and speed 13 eagle x style, and beat to Katana flippy. They cover my max D needs.

I could do work with an all MVP bag but these give me a little more D and a few more controlled options.

I throw an all mvp bag when I go to the Air Zoo. In it I have two fr vectors an eclipse vector a Neutron axis avolt and an anode. There isnt a hole on that course that bag cant handle. Ill post pics when I get home.

Anyone think that a river would be a solid addition?
I love my amp but it seems really stable at lower speeds so its difficult to throw that smooth right turning line. Them again, the axis can handle it pretty well.

I love my amp but it seems really stable at lower speeds so its difficult to throw that smooth right turning line. Them again, the axis can handle it pretty well.

There's a lot of freak Amps out there, but I think the only advantage to having a River would be the glide. But if that's the sellling point, then a Saint could replace your Volts or Shocks.

Like I said before, its all about personal preference. I think moat players COULD do an all MVP bag, but everyone likes their own options.

I recently switched from Rivers to Underworlds, and have totally drunk the Kool Aid: they're awesome discs. At least as glidey as the River, but a tick or two more US, especially the Tournament ones. Great for low power turnover drives.

Edit to add something a bit more topic-relevant: as a relative newbie who maxes out a little over 300', I've avoided the new MVP drivers since they definitely didn't seem geared towards someone of my ability level. I tried an Anode, but really disliked the way the overmold's rigidity felt in my hand. The Tangent seems like something I'd like, but I'm committed to Comets.

MVP sure gets a lot of love on these boards, though, so I'm sure they're doing something right. Their drivers just don't strike me as beginner-friendly.

Last edited:
Why not? Amp seems like it would be, and most my more casual playing buddies who throw around 275-300 seem to do well with my Volts.

Either way for a smooth right turn at shorter distances I like a Tangent thrown hard and flat, or a slight anny, or a Volt flick, or depending on the D a Volt thrown bh hard, flat and low, and let it laser right up there.

There seems to be a good portion of people who are not willing to even consider trying an MVP disc. As if they see an over-mold and they think its bad, as if it will separate, or it will get beat up fast. (Even though they have proven to be one of the most durable plastics on the market) And even if they do try it, they don't even throw it well or give it a real chance, its as if they WANT the disc to fly badly, so they throw it badly to make the disc look bad, they get a sense of satisfaction by discarding anything they don't throw as garbage.

I'm thankfully not one of those people, i try everything and throw what works best for me.

I can understand people being comfortable with what they have thrown for a long time though, trust me, it was hard letting go of all my Eagles i had stocked up.. but one day i just said i need to choose the disc that works better for me and let go of my investment in discs that weren't helping me get better.

The discs that improved my form most was the Ion and Axis. (Even though it can hide form issues)

I think most of it is just learning to throw a new disc after being more experienced, it gives you a different perspective when learning the disc that you didn't have with the old ones. This builds new understandings and better muscle memory because your building on prior knowledge and understanding of disc flight.

MVP has been the most intuitive of the discs i have tried, i think it has something to do with the weight in the rim making it more gyroscopic and "locking" into lines, holding those lines longer? I'm not quite sure.

A new disc golfer will not get the effect from MVP that an experienced thrower will though, it takes some snap and proper form with little to no OAT and MVP discs come alive.. as im sure ANY disc would when thrown properly, but MVP discs seem to reach a whole new level and do things i cant imagine doing with other molds, when i pick a target, the disc hits where i was aiming, and i know its going to hit the target as soon as it leaves my hand.

Once you go MVP and commit, other discs don't fly the same. :)

Last edited:
My girlfriend loves to disc golf too, but she lacks a bit of the power I have and doesn't really like the idea of "researching" and "practicing" a proper technique. So she throws with quite a bit of inconsistency.

That being said I've never seen her throw with more consistent power and accuracy than she does with an amp. It seems like it's a fantastic disc for slower/less powerful arms...once they get to a point where the 150 class discs are burning even when brand new.