• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All quiet on the western front

slowarm

Par Member
What happened to this forum? This used to be my lunchtime amusement, but nowadays here's not a lot of action. Even JR has stopped to spend his time writing here comments that we others are unable to understand.

Seriously, have you all started to play disc golf (instead of writing about it)?

slowarm said:
What happened to this forum? This used to be my lunchtime amusement, but nowadays here's not a lot of action. Even JR has stopped to spend his time writing here comments that we others are unable to understand.

Seriously, have you all started to play disc golf (instead of writing about it)?

I think you're onto something...things get kinda slow here when spring rolls around. Wouldn't you rather be playing? I know I would!

I wanna blame the other place for slowly rotting away their brains. So yeah that place is a lot like aspartame which is addictive and bad,while this place is pure cane sugar which is not bad for you. I'd rather have pure cane sugar. 8)

What I'm curious to know is what happened to Blake. He hasn't logged in for almost a year now...

PMantle said:
Picking up my own personal stalking troll pretty much soured me of the place.

I had a guy who kept thinking I was someone else and belittling me because of it. Then the crazy guy paid 10 dollars to label me as that guy on my avatar. Actually it was 2 people he thought I was.

I found out later by someone on there that just because my name had Uncle in it that I pretty much had to be those other guys. Apparently something went down and the guy made a 2nd account just to get back at them. So the guy thought I was the 3rd account. I don't like to be labeled something I'm not So I pretty much just dropped that place like a hot stack of pancakes and came here.

This site was designed to be intended for those interested in humbly learning about disc golf. Unfortunately that's a small market-share.

It is to bad this site has slowed. This was the first forum I discovered for disc golf and lurked for several years just reading and applying the knowledge. The 150 Lovers thread opened up a whole new world for me after I had discovered a 150 Teebird and Valkyrie and saw that others used them. I do frequent DGCR also because it is more active, but I hope this site comes back around

PMantle said:
Picking up my own personal stalking troll pretty much soured me of the place.
I had this issue as well, as evidenced in the early pages of many of the MVP threads.

Personally I'd rather wade through the muck at the other site to at least have some conversation as opposed to listening to the crickets chirp here.

I think the truth is that DGR was born out of Blake's passion for this sport...and it seems he moved on some time ago. I hope his brain is at least making some money for him or something now. Too bad about this site...

I'm really sort of mystified by how this all played out. When DGCR's forum started, it was so painfully naive that I assumed that people would start there, get a little experience and migrate here. Instead, people stayed there. I'm not really sure why that is; probably a variety of things.

Obviously I like DGCR, but the forum there has several flaws. I would have thought there were enough people that didn't care for all the trolls and nonsense there that this place would still have some traffic. discspeed is right; the fact that Blake isn't here anymore says a lot. Fortunately the articles he contributed are still here, and his posts are still here. You have to dig for it, but his advice is still right here.

It's kinda sad, but whoever pays to keep this site up would probably do better uploading the good contents (articles and some of Blakes stuff in this forum) to a site with actual traffic where it could do some good for new folks. I still use this for reference, but I've saved what I need just in case.
As to why the forum died: lack of good moderation will kill any forum, lack of incoming traffic as well. Here you've got both:
1. purebred assholes (eg: apoth) getting basically free reign because "everyone should just toughen up" or some idiot idea like that (and a general funky fratboy smell at times)
2. A dead main site driving zero traffic to the forum.
Now, the first thing is easily fixed since there's no community here anymore so you would have to rebuild that from scratch anyway. The other part is obviously much harder. A megasite for disc reviews is still a pretty cool idea but with Inbounds and a host of other sites reviewing it would have to be pretty brilliantly executed to actually work. Probably better to start fresh somewhere else, if anyone still has the drive to do it?

RIP DGR.
Sometimes great, always interesting, still useful. Not a bad legacy at all, that.

Edit: Anyone talked to Blake for like, the last year? Who actually runs the site now?

I wish I was a member for when Blake was around. I always looked at the site for many years,but never became a member until recently. I can see this site taking off again. :D

I'm hoping one day this site will catch on again. I could see it happening if more and more people start posting and asking questions. I come to this site daily and i see new members signing up all the time. If just 1 out of 3 of those new members would start posting and then if maybe 1 out of 3 older members would respond we could get this forum back to the way it use to be. Those 1 out of 3 will turn into 2 out of 3 and then maybe 3 out of 3.

Many look at Blake's departure as the death of this site,why don't we continue to honor everything that he did by getting more people here and just continuing the passion that he brought to this site.

The articles and instructional threads are still great. Not having Blake around is a bummer. I also miss the occasional bits of wisdom from Mark Ellis.

The biggest turnoff however is that there are very few posters and the most prolific poster does little more than argue and call people names. At the other site 1 out of 20 posts is a flame, here it's like 1 out of 3. Without a moderator, this has become an extremely hostile place to post.

Trolling killed it. Anytime anyone with any knowledge made a good, well thought out post, it was immediately contradicted and and the person antagonized. That will stop most people from posting. Shitty moderation.

I didn't post for very long before things started to quiet down. Perhaps because we don't have the appeal that DGCR has with all of its dimensions, from course reviews to course maps and more. I still like it here, but it's not as much of an "experience". With all that said, I don't even post on DGCR because it is so large and it is difficult to keep up with threads if you don't subscribe/post in them. I always like it here because if a new thread popped up, I would give it a chance!

JTdisc said:
The articles and instructional threads are still great. Not having Blake around is a bummer. I also miss the occasional bits of wisdom from Mark Ellis.

The biggest turnoff however is that there are very few posters and the most prolific poster does little more than argue and call people names. At the other site 1 out of 20 posts is a flame, here it's like 1 out of 3. Without a moderator, this has become an extremely hostile place to post.

What would you have me do when somebody spreads lies? Back when there were more veteran posters bufoons were laughed off by numbers and the worst offenders were warned or banned. This is not the case any more.

The real problem is a way worse truthful post to fallacy count. And it is no surprise that the not so bright spew misinformation. That is bad because the posts remain here and when a new person comes here he will get misinformation and misrepresentations about members of this forum. Are you really saying throwing the first stone on false accusations initiated by the stone thrower is the model humanity should apply? If so i undrrstand why you would have me roll over and play dead. Unfortunately we have gotten some DGCR rejects here and guess what that does to the quality of the site?

Sorry i have not seen anything that could be taken to be hostile posts from other high post count members lately.

Time to set the record straight:

The "lies" JR accuses me of are direct quotes of his own words. He can't handle the truth. He trolls threads, disrupts discussions between myself and Uncle Brother repeatedly with a bunch of gobbledygook, and then goes ballistic when you disagree with him. He spreads his manure all over DGR, answering simple questions with long winded diatribes full of nonsense. And these questions are rarely directed at him. He trolls them. Long time members hardly speak to him here. He preys on people new to the forum and crashes their threads and posts.

Notice how he became real active again after me and UncleBrother showed up? We can't have a single discussion without JR swooping in and dumping on it. Arguing everything! Accepting nothing!

Maybe people here just got tired of him trolling virtually every thread with his nauseating replies and stopped coming to DGR. The guy's toxic to DGR. I've had discussions with others here, past and present, and this guy is driving people away from this forum. His favorite quote is that he's "correcting errors". Give me a break! The guy is error central.

If people actually want that here, welcome to it. I for one don't, and I'm not going to put up with his sh*t when he gets in my face.

Here's just one example:

"Banhammer that guy please what a liar. Or drug addict or totally incompetent reader in any case unable to connect the dots. I am done correcting his errors. Dgcr take him back."

^^^Does this sound like a healthy person? And then he plays the victim here and expresses concern about the truth and keeping DGR on a high level? What a devious little mind. Again, if any of you want that kind of thing here, so be it.

If I were the mods here I would first tell him to limit his replies to less than 1000 words, stop the relentless trolling of other peoples posts while just muddying the water with argumentative garbage, and to control his temper...and psychosis.

I started this thread. Unfortunately, I can't delete it. All the replies kind of answered to my original question. Thanks for that.

Goodbye DGR, maybe I check in after the summer.

Make love not war...peace...whatever...let's cut the crap and go out play. Right?

Latest posts