• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

all rubber baskets?

I've been saying for years that a "Lard Basket" should be developed. It's just a basket-sized cylinder of lard where a Disc simply sticks to it.

Flies and hot weather might be a problem, though.

Yeah, I'm struggling to come up with any pros for making baskets out of rubber. I like the sound of the chains. My love for metal on metal is well documented. I also agree that splash outs happen for a reason, and no, it's not because GOD has a plan, it's simply physics, too much spin, too much speed, too much hyzer, these all contribute to the chance spit out. We should be challenging ourselves to get better, not to make the game easier.

Here's one: It would keep the crackheads from cutting them off at the ground and trying to recycle them for $20...

I think metal chains will be removed from DG baskets about the same time the NBA takes the net off of basketball baskets. Meaning never.

That being said, a quiet basket for practicing in the backyard might be a decent idea.

If a golf ball skips over a cup does it count? If a basketball goes halfway down but bobbles out does it count? If a football hots the upright does it count? If a hockey puck or soccor ball hits the post does it count? If u HIT the target but itdoesnt stick it doesn't count. Period. Spit-outs are part of pretty much any object to target sport. If you don't like it quit playing. Also, who wants to hear a disc hit rubber? Lame....

I used to shoot archery competitively and if you hit the target and bounced out it counted. After each end(round) all the holes in the target are marked with a pencil and if there was a bounce out and a hole without a mark is found it is counted.

I agree that spit outs on putts are part of the game and are due to a number of variables caused by the person putting and not the basket itself. I do however get annoyed when I smash chains from the tee or on a fairway drive and it spits out, that is the best possible throw I could have made but yet I still have to add another stroke. I am not saying I want an ace for hitting chains but if there was a basket that fixed this I'd be all for it.

All that said, a basket made of rubber is ridiculous and I don't think it would ever be realistic to put one on a course if there was one brought to market.

Rubber doesn't do well in sunlight.

As for the spit out analogy; only golf is applicable. If you hit the center of the other targets, it goes in or is in some way counted. Golf, you have to vastly misjudge your power to have it not go in.

Fitzgerald Park near Lansing, MI used to have baskets with bike lock cables instead of chains. It was beyond horrible. (I have heard that they were Grand Woods' original baskets from the '80s?...)

Yeah, I'm struggling to come up with any pros for making baskets out of rubber. I like the sound of the chains. My love for metal on metal is well documented. I also agree that splash outs happen for a reason, and no, it's not because GOD has a plan, it's simply physics, too much spin, too much speed, too much hyzer, these all contribute to the chance spit out. We should be challenging ourselves to get better, not to make the game easier.

Yes. Also, if any of you have heard the sound of someone putting with a Flywood Log, it's SWEET! Also really loud.

For those of you who don't know what the Flywood Log is, it's a wooden putter.

If a golf ball skips over a cup does it count? If a basketball goes halfway down but bobbles out does it count? If a football hots the upright does it count? If a hockey puck or soccor ball hits the post does it count? If u HIT the target but itdoesnt stick it doesn't count. Period. Spit-outs are part of pretty much any object to target sport. If you don't like it quit playing. Also, who wants to hear a disc hit rubber? Lame....

i think a better analogy would be a soccer ball or hockey puck going out the back of the net, and it not counting.

good effort tho. hitting the post in soccer and hockey is like hitting the band. not a spitout.

sigh.

A spit out on a great putt is like Steve Bartman catching that out. Either way, someone's getting robbed.

We have a nearby private course with DB-5's installed. During a tournament a week ago Sunday, I parked my drive probably 8 feet from the pin. I just happen to be facing one of the barren areas of the basket and when I attempt my putt it goes off the center pole and right back out. That was the second time that basket has robbed me. A guy on my card at league this week had the same thing happen on that same basket. On a double chain basket, no way any of those putts are spitting out.

So there are spitouts that can be blamed on crappy baskets, just not as many as some people think there is.

Of course, there are some shots that stick despite having absolutely no business doing so. Here's a pic from my vacation last month.

nz3wh5.jpg

Let me state that I did NOT plant this disc in the chains. I saw that the tray was down and was just playing by "chain hit counts as good" rules, and got an even better result.

We have 28 DB5s on one of our local courses. We added inner chains for that very reason. The added inner chains make a huge difference.

i think a better analogy would be a soccer ball or hockey puck going out the back of the net, and it not counting.

good effort tho. hitting the post in soccer and hockey is like hitting the band. not a spitout.

sigh.

I disagree, since the line is in/out, not the net.

The best analogy to me is really basketball. A perfect shot goes in 100% of the time. Many slightly imperfect shots go in, either by bouncing around and falling or rattling around and going in. Some crappy shots go in, lucky bounce, etc. But most crappy shots don't go in.

Just like disc golf. I can really only recall 1 putt in my 12 years of playing that spit out a great putt. I've also seen only a few from others. Every other one wasn't a perfect putt. If you throw a putt with perfect speed, spin and altitude, it will not spit out. If you are an inch left of perfect, does that deserve to stay in 100% of the time? Not to me.

That's why I pull the chains in closer to the pole at home on my practice basket. If I putt more than a few inches off center it doesn't stay in. If I putt too hard, it bounces off the foam I've put on the pole to make it quieter. Since it is only single row of chains, if i putt with too much hyzer, it can slip right through the chains.

I train myself to hit the chains flat, with little spin, and comfortable amount of power.

A guy this weekend was bitching up a storm about all his "spit outs". First of all, the baskets we were using don't spit out, 2nd throwing a spin putt on the left most 3 chains shouldn't stick anyway. FYI, there is a BIG difference between a "Chain Out" and a "Spit Out". Chain outs happen all the time, and has nothing to do with a good/bad putt. Spit outs are only a perfect putt that doesn't stick, which I have rarely seen.

disclaimer: I am by no means a good putter. It is by far and away my worst skill on the course. I would have gotten my first official 1000 round this wknd if I didn't miss a 10' putt and 4-5 20' putts (no wind, great baskets). (still should be 985 or so) I just rarely see a putt "spit out" that I don't think "Well, it was off center, too much hyzer, or too hard. Dangit"

That happens to me about four to five times per game when putting with my Flywood Log (the disc resting in the chains, not the bucket falling off). As a little bit of a contrast to the linked post about stiff vs. floppy putters, I get fewer spit-out putts with the flywood when I actually hit the chains hard than I do with my medium or SS Wizard. What I notice is that the plastic discs, having more friction on the surface, have a greater tendency to stick to the chains and be pushed back away from the center of the basket - where the flywood Log has a slick surface and seems to get "swallowed" by the chains, it just slips right on in, takes a slip and ride around the post and comes to rest in the chains like the picture above... and sounds cool doing it too.

Back on topic: I am having trouble envisioning any benefit of a rubber basket. What I could see being a possible alternative is the recycled plastic/rubber material used to make so much of todays playground equipment. Alterations to the traditional design, such as a thicker center post and flat piece for the top, would need to be made, but it could still work and be within the guidelines. It'd be cheaper too.

I do think that spitouts can be the fault of the basket, on lower end and homemade baskets, some of those are poorly designed and have angles that the chains don't catch well on. But that's more the cause of bad design/cheap design. If it spits out of a Mach V or Discatcher, that's all you.

Now would a metal frame basket with a rubber coating help the spitouts more? I dunno

Latest posts