• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I got a pair of this year's Sexton Firebirds in the mail. They instantly feel great in hand. The plastic blend feels very similar to ones from last year. There is a bit of a ridge or beveling which my 15 has and my 18s do not. Also like my 15, they also have a bit of dome that the 18s do not have. There are what appear to be minute bubbles throughout the rim and the flightplate. Comparing the PLHs of the two 19s, my seafoam greeen has a higher PLH than the blue. They both look very similar in PLH and nose shape to my 18. The 15 has a lower PLH than all of them. I uploaded some pictures to Imgur.

[url]https://imgur.com/gallery/MzAsOlS[/URL]

I have a CFR Luster Firebird that's fairly flat and reasonably firm and it's pretty OS, about the same as my Glow C Line FD3 or flat axiom Fireball, and definitely more OS than a shimmer star FB I have.

I've heard last year's Shimmer Stars didn't mold up as OS as other Firebirds.

I had forgotten I have a CFR Luster FB from that same run as my dubs partner. I just noticed it has a bump in the rim, a lot like my Doombird II FD3. Weird. The pearly Champ one I just got doesn't have that bump.

Shimmer left, Luster right. The shimmer is also weird in that it doesn't have that curved upper wing like the luster or other FBs have.
yIs34yr.jpg

Shimmer left, Luster right. The shimmer is also weird in that it doesn't have that curved upper wing like the luster or other FBs have.
yIs34yr.jpg

Not Innova messing with a staple mold again. Destroyers are one thing, but a beefy mold should be a brick with a concave rim. Straight wings mean straight/understable flights. If you want a less OS FB just get a ThB, which would be the sensable thing for Innova to do, instead of fixing something that isn't broke.

Not Innova messing with a staple mold again. Destroyers are one thing, but a beefy mold should be a brick with a concave rim. Straight wings mean straight/understable flights. If you want a less OS FB just get a ThB, which would be the sensable thing for Innova to do, instead of fixing something that isn't broke.

It's the top wing though, so I think it's just a cooling issue, all the tooling marks are the same. It also still flies OS, so that isn't a huge issue.

The star ones sometimes cool weird, this could be that(or a mislabeled disc)

Here's my stash of pearls so far - reserves on the left, throwers on the right. I should be good with these, they are all max weight except for one thrower which is a 167g. The problem is, they are really nice at light weight too...
It's a good thing I limit myself to shades yellow and green, because some of the purple ones I've seen are super pretty. Remember folks, these won't be around forever.

I finally spotted one of these flat pearly Firebirds in a shop yesterday and couldn't pass it up. Mine is bright glowing pink. Forget the Sextons, dear lord these are fantastic.

SexyBird newb here

Can someone describe the 2018 Sexton bird to me?

Stiff or gummy?
Flat or domey?

Do they have 2017 USDGC Champ stamp?

Good run? or just a "decent" run

And for those who have both that run and the new run how do they compare?

TIA

^^^
when I say 2017 USDGC Champ I don't mean the 2017 bottom stamp version but the 2018 tour series that says USDGC champ under "Firebird"

I'd have to go look at the stamps, but the couple o have are fairly firm, but not slick. Not as OS as 2015, more OS than 2017, and pretty close to 2016. 2016s might be a tough more OS when fresh IME, but it's close enough for me. I throw a 2016, and have one for backup, might cycle a 2018 in come to think of it. My main 2016 is about at fresh QOLF stability now.

I currently use a Ti Vulture, Big-Z Vulture and a Sexton 2017 Firebird combo as my stable to OS fairways. . . but i would like to get that down to one mould /two discs.

One option is to have one beat in Firebird and one new. . but with plastic/run of Firebird can i get to fly straight with just a smal fade?
Option two is Thunderbirds. . can one PRO and one Koling Sign work?

I currently use a Ti Vulture, Big-Z Vulture and a Sexton 2017 Firebird combo as my stable to OS fairways. . . but i would like to get that down to one mould /two discs.

One option is to have one beat in Firebird and one new. . but with plastic/run of Firebird can i get to fly straight with just a smal fade?

From my experience with firebirds you are not going to be able to find one that has small fade. Even if you have a flippy firebird the one thing that I found that doesn't change is the fade.

The only suggestion I have for an FB with small(er) fade is the FL, Firebird-L. They're OOP, but some are still available at online stores.

Stick with the vultures? They are similar to thunderbirds from what I understand.

Find a beat in S-PD.

From my experience with firebirds you are not going to be able to find one that has small fade. Even if you have a flippy firebird the one thing that I found that doesn't change is the fade.

Find a beat in S-PD.

I agree. Pair your Firebird with a PD, Thunderbird, or OLF. All three have the Firebird wing, so the hand feel will be similar.

If you are dead set on one mold, I would think the PD would be the way to go. A high PLH C-line would come close to Firebird stability and the S-Line seasons into a straight flyer.

The first Firebird I had was a 150-class DX. It flew like a regular Firebird for maybe 3-4 months, then started flying like my Volts after it hit some trees & rocks. That may be what you're looking for.

Found a older S-line PD in my rack, going to test that out this weekend, VERY nice looking disc i forgot i even had

Found a older S-line PD in my rack, going to test that out this weekend, VERY nice looking disc i forgot i even had

The new embossed S line PDs are very close to FB OS. You could pair one with your older run easily.