• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

I got a king disc in the vip plastic. It's durable as can be, and it is a straight shot. I'm not great at hyzers Or annies but for my long drives for a trusted disc. I always throw this disc. There is no doubt when it comes to throwing this disc.

169 grams and clear purple color. It's my favorite disc in my bag. I'm a rhbh thrower.

I'm also waiting on a Tournament Swan and mini. Westside dri-fit shirts/shorts/hats can't come soon enough!

eventually gregg barsby is gonna have some westside shirts available. i talked to him last week about printing them but we decided to hold off until a future order and focus one a different brand this time. the ones he has shown me he wants are SICK! if you throw westside youre gonna want these

to follow up on some of the last posts I think it is probably that you will see a fairway driver from Westside that is similar to the Saint but perhaps a touch more stable

this is my opinion so you may disagree but for the most part I think that Westside seems to produce a slightly more stable version of a L64 disc

the TP Warship is a slightly more stable Fuse
the Sword is a slightly more stable Flow
the Giant and Villain are quite similar

there are exceptions

however, Westside could use something extra in the speed 7-9 range and a slightly more o/s Saint could be the trick

I am going to disagree with most of this, but only because we likely have different throwing styles which obviously produce different results. If anything, this points out how greatly glide factors into how these discs fly. A disc with low glide will fly similarly to people of varying ability. A disc with tremendous glide, like most of Lat and WS's lineup, is going to behave completely different across the spectrum of ability and technique.

For the sake of throwing it out there then, my comparisons would be:

Warship slightly over the Core

the Sword has no counterpart because of its higher HSS combined with its lower LSS, but for the sake of saying something I will throw out the Havoc or Bolt

The Giant is far more a maximum distance driver while the Villain is more of a very long pseudo-fairway driver. Yet again to say something, the Giant over the Blitz and a really overstable VIP Boatman over the Gold Line Villain (although the really overstable Opto Villains trump any Boatman)

Core
Diameter 21,7 cm
Maximum weight 180,1 gram
Height 2,0 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 18,9 cm
Rim thickness 1,4 cm

Fuse
Diameter 21,9 cm
Maximum weight 181,8 gram
Height 2,1 cm
Rim depth 1,3 cm
Inside rim diameter 19,3 cm
Rim thickness 1,3 cm

Warship
Diameter 21,7 cm
Maximum weight 180,1 gram
Height 2,1 cm
Rim depth 1,3 cm
Inside rim diameter 18,9 cm
Rim thickness 1,4 cm

based on these specs the Warship is a hybrid of both the Fuse and Core

Sword
Diameter 21,2 cm
Maximum weight 176,0 gram
Height 1,8 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,8 cm
Rim thickness 2,2 cm

Flow
Diameter 21,1 cm
Maximum weight 175,1 gram
Height 1,8 cm
Rim depth 1,2 cm
Inside rim diameter 16,8 cm
Rim thickness 2,2 cm

based on these specs the Sword is just a slightly larger Flow

You cannot take the basic measurements of a disc and come closer than a guess as to how similar it will fly to another disc with the same measurements. It's not that simple.

I'm relatively new to the Warship - bought four a month or so ago - but have thrown them a lot. I know Cores very well. I think the Warship is generally considerably more stable than the Core, and one look at the wing tells you why. One of my lighter tourney Warships is a just a tad understable...similar to the most stable opto Cores I've had. It's certainly nowhere near any of the Fuses I have or have had. The vip Warships are quite stable and resistant to turn until I power them up like a distance driver or have a 12mph+ headwind....otherwise they are like a longer Z Buzz (actually they remind me much more of a QMS with tons of extra glide and distance). They don't turn or flip unless I oat them and even then they usually track instead of turn. Great disc and it might actually knock the Core out of the bag as my straight mid. I just can't see it as a good Core comparison, and definitely not a Fuse. Now, comparing some Cores to some Fuses...that's more realistic to me.

interesting comparisons

I agree completely. The problem is the human factor which includes but is not limited to self-fulfilling prophecies. When I threw the Flow it had tremendous, almost easy glide, but it was incredibly nose sensitive and did not like being powered up. When I throw the Sword it can take some error in my throw and still remain relatively true to my target. It was also not as sensitive to nose angle, although I will concede that if you do not hit it just right, it appears to lose all glide and come up well short of what I know it is capable of getting.

When I purchased my Flows, I was expecting a long River and threw it as such. It performed admirably when powered down but did not respond well to being powered up, just like my Rivers. When I purchased my Swords, I was doing so with the intention that they would fly like my TeeBirds. For the most part, they did. Hence, when they flew for the first time they flew exactly how I expected them to. This obviously plays a huge factor into how I compared the above discs.

However to all this, the Boatmans I picked out flew nothing like what I was expecting. Considering its listed numbers of 0 turn and 2 fade, I was expecting a very TeeBird like disc, a fairway version of my Swords, but they meathooked instantly out of my hands. So I guess expectations cannot always make a disc fly how you expect them to.

So, a dash of millimeter here, maybe a subtraction of a millimeter there, and a ton of personal experience mixed in with high expectations, and poof, statistically similar discs fly nothing like each other. At least that is the story I am sticking to for why my observations differ from everyone elses.

I just can't see it as a good Core comparison, and definitely not a Fuse. Now, comparing some Cores to some Fuses...that's more realistic to me.

I agree in principle, but the conversation is calling for a comparison between Latitude and Westside, especially since we are doing nothing more than wishful thinking about what Westside should work on next. I would not go as far as comparing the Pain to the Warship. For me the Warship came across as a very neutral mid, a driving mid that can get a lot of lateral movement when thrown flat. I would not use the Fuse in such a role because it would definitely flip or track with no intention of coming back. The Pain is very similar to a fresh Star Roc, better for placement than for driving as well. However, out of the Pain, Core, and Fuse, I would use the Core in the role I would use the Warship. I would just have to adjust to the Core having a minor flip at the power I would use the Warship.

I have three Cores; a sunken top older one, a fresh heavy blue, and a fresh mid-weight yellow. The yellow is quite overstable for a Core, very similar to a Warship but not as long. There is a definite difference between the blue and yellow as the blue is far closer to neutral. The sunken top one is almost Fuse like in flight.

At the end of the day, however, I am using an Eclipse Axis, Star Rancho Roc, Z Hornet (150 class), and a Cryztal FLX Drone for my mids. I am also debating using a Comet for approach duties that I was using the sunken top Core for (which doubled as a putter from 25-45 feet). My drivers, on the otherhand, are exclusively Westside and Latitude, with the exception of TeeBirds which may be replaced by the Saint soon anyway.

Boatman is my go to headwind driver and I use it often on RH flicks to get that HUGE skip off the ground. This disc is reliable...and in my opinion waaaaaaaaaaay more overstable then advertised.

I would not go as far as comparing the Pain to the Warship.

Neither would I, although they do share a lot of the same qualities/flight pattern.

For me the Warship came across as a very neutral mid, a driving mid that can get a lot of lateral movement when thrown flat. I would not use the Fuse in such a role because it would definitely flip or track with no intention of coming back. The Pain is very similar to a fresh Star Roc, better for placement than for driving as well. However, out of the Pain, Core, and Fuse, I would use the Core in the role I would use the Warship. I would just have to adjust to the Core having a minor flip at the power I would use the Warship.

With the lack of turn when thrown at or slightly above the rated speed, I see the Warship as more of a slightly overstable disc, not neutral (this is where I categorize Teebirds as well). I see discs like Core, Buzz SS, Skeeter, etc. as neutral...straight flights but with movement in both directions on the way there...again, when thrown at or near the rated speed. I think that's an important consideration when we describe discs or listen to others' comments about them. When we greatly overpower them, only the most/truly overstable discs will still fly mostly the same pattern. So I think calling something like the Warship a neutral disc isn't as accurate because at its rated speed it doesn't really have turn...just that slight lateral tracking. Also, neutral discs will generally hold an anny to the ground, whereas the slightly overstable ones like the Warship will fight out of it almost always (to varying degrees of course).

Definitely agreed about the Core/Warship swap in the bag...just slight adjustments needed but both are very workable. If I had to choose just one mid, between the two it would be the Core (one of the more stable ones). Around here, I'd let wind be the deciding factor for me.

So...back on topic, I guess I don't think there is any direct comparison between Westside's Warship and anything from Lat64. That's not a bad thing, imo. I'm glad they're in bed together and that we can choose either one with the guarantee of some sweet molds and great plastic!

this is my opinion so you may disagree but for the most part I think that Westside seems to produce a slightly more stable version of a L64 disc

i've always kind of thought this myself, the tournament warships i've thrown could be compared to a more stable fuse, just faster. i'd maybe compare a vip warship to pain with a milder fade. i'd also agree with your other observations. for those who have thrown boatmen, would they be a legit substitute for a c pd? i'm using one now for forehand and headwind shots mainly, with some overhand shots once in a while.

that is what I said

and to Oklahyzer I don't think there is a lack of turn in a TP Warship when thrown flat

a domey VIP will likely resist that but the TP Warship is not (IMO) a slighly overstable mid

edit: a Warship can and will hold an anny to the ground

edit part 2: not looking to create a fight, our respective form and throwing may be different resulting in different flights, I am most likely a torque monkey

Last edited:
that is what I said

and to Oklahyzer I don't think there is a lack of turn in a TP Warship when thrown flat

a domey VIP will likely resist that but the TP Warship is not (IMO) a slighly overstable mid

edit: a Warship can and will hold an anny to the ground

edit part 2: not looking to create a fight, our respective form and throwing may be different resulting in different flights, I am most likely a torque monkey

No worries...and I agree there. My less stable TP doesn't really turn or flip unless overpowered, but it's the one that will track the most and holds the best anny. I haven't seen that much unless I do it intentionally or oat it a bit (or with stronger winds). My vip's are both pretty flat, really nicely hss. They won't hold an anny to the ground unless I really lay into them. Thrown flat at driver speed with some headwind, they will flip, but thus far a little hyzer takes care of that and then they still fade predictably from flat. Again, though, mine are all fairly new, and I expect the tp's to lose stability just like all of my gl discs have.

Anyone have connects on Swan 1 putters. I want a box but canonly seem to find one or two hereand there?

Latest posts